Ben Ferreira | Golden Skate

Ben Ferreira

CDMM1991

Medalist
I'm a big Ben Ferreira fan, and I was trying to figure out what would be best for him at this point in his career. Okay, bear with me here.

Now, my plan started at Worlds this year. Coming into the men's short program I was thinking where would be the perfect place for Jeff Buttle to be after the short program --> 4th! Because, he wouldn't have the pressure of already being on the podium, but he wouldn't be at all out of reach of it, and lastly it would give him a little fire in his belly, so he would end up on the podium, securing Canada three spots for the Olympics, giving Ben a chance to make the Olympic team and finish his career out on a high note before retiring. And I had a good chuckle when, sure enough, Jeff was fourth after the short, and ended up winning a medal. Now, all that's left of my plan is Ben on the podium at Canadians next year.

What do you think Ben will have to do to end up on that podium and keep all the young guns coming up like Shawn Sawyer and Chris Mabee, off it?

CDMM1991

Medalist
hockeyfan228 said:
Land at least one quad in the LP and skate cleanly.

Are you sure he'll have to go that far? I was thinking more along the lines of two GREAT programs, and clean skates but not necessarily a quad, and maybe some unlucky performances from other skaters.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
Are you sure he'll have to go that far? I was thinking more along the lines of two GREAT programs, and clean skates but not necessarily a quad, and maybe some unlucky performances from other skaters.
If he lands the quad, he takes his fate into his own hands, and he establishes himself on the level of Buttle and Sandhu. If he doesn't, he has to count on flawed programs from other skaters. As investments go, giving a Sawyer or Mabee experience at the international level might a better long-term strategy for Canadian Men's skating, and I don't think Ferreira can afford a six-of-one/half-dozen-of-the-other situation. The international judges haven't been that interested in him.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Obviously the quad would be a best-case scenario but it's always good to think of other options as well. And yes maybe in the long term Mabee/Sawyer at the Olympics would be more valuable but I think that such devotion to the sport, the country, etc. deserves payment of some sort though I am vehement that it should be deserved.

Jhar55

Medalist
I first noticed Ben this year at Skate America I like him and he's easy on the eyes :love:

CDMM1991

Medalist
Hahaha ... Skate America was a very low point for Ben in the season ... Skate Canada was definitely his strongest --> he came second in the Canadian podium sweep with Eman first, him second, and Jeff third because of a disastrous long program

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Ben is a very popular and well liked skater in Canada. I remember noticing him a few seasons ago on a special he did with Kurt Browning. I thought wow, here is a guy that is going places. Unfortunately, that has not happened for Ben. He has had some problems. Both Chris Mabee and Sean Sawyer came on with great gusto this season. Chris had an amazing skate at the Canadians and Sean Sawyer is really being noticed for his wonderful line and flexibility.

Ben is a good skater, but he really needs a new program and yes he needs to up the ante with the quad. Will this be Ben's year? Who knows. I always look forward to seeing him. I do know he is one of those skaters one can count on. Last year when Jeff was out due to illness and Emanuel was his usual unpreditctible self, Ben came out and skated like he owned it. He needs to do that again.

shine

Record Breaker
The more I see him rob Matt Savoie by placing one or two places above Matt in almost EVERY competition they enter together, the more I loathe him. Ugh.

Jhar55

Medalist
CDMM, Haha ...Skate America if you like but it's the first time I can think of seeing Ben skate. I didn't say he skated his best just said if was first time I noticed him. And he make some very nice eye candy :p