Michael Weiss, the Grand Prix and the Olympics | Golden Skate

Michael Weiss, the Grand Prix and the Olympics

Does anyone know whether Michael Weiss has committed to his Grand Prix assignment yet? He is scheduled for the Eric Bompard event.

Michael is the only top U.S. skater who has only one GP assignment. Weir, Goebel, Lysacek and Savoie (GO MATT!) all have two assignments. Dennis Phan got the extra home country spot at Skate America.

This leaves Ryan Jahnke out in the cold.

I think Weiss has an excellent chance of regaining the podium at U.S nationals and getting an Olympic berth. Tim, sadly, never got his jumps back after a disastrous 2003-2004 season. Lysacek had a great Worlds, but remains unproven in the long haul. I would say that only Weir is a lock for the U.S. Olympic team.

If Savoie repeats his 2005 Nationals performance, he could make it if others falter. It could be Weir, Weiss and Savoie! Possible?

Mathman

soogar

Record Breaker
Matt is going to need a great season in addition to a great Nationals to knock Goebel out of the Olympics. I think that Olympic bronze is heavily weighing in the judges' minds at Nationals plus Tim only had *one* bad season where he skated and received bad results. He pulled out of Nationals the year before and then he was a 2 time silver medalist at Worlds before his Nationals disaster. Lysacyk is a lock for the team. That worlds bronze medal is a sure bet for him making the team. Weir might be more of a question mark than you think, He's had a great early season but he missed out on the medals at Worlds. He was also dealing with injury late in the season as well. It's going to depend on how his season will go since he has (on his website) committed to doing the quad in competition. We all have seen what the quad had done to Todd's skating (and Andrei Gryazev). Committing to a competition quad might wreak havoc on the rest of Weir's skating.

Mike won't make the Olympic team unless he lands his quads on one foot. He's been around for too long and he's getting stale. Personally, if Mike and Timmy skate the same, I would give the nod to Timmy because Timmy has proven on more than one occasion to be a pinch skater who can pull out a good performance in international competion. Timmy might even get the nod over Weir if Weir has a bad season and they both skate the same at Nationals.

1. Lysacyk will be a lock and look to him to take Johnny's title. (my prediction)
2. Tim Goebel
3. Weir over Savoie unless Mike pulls a miracle and nails his triple axel and quad on one foot- then the nod will go to Weiss

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Don't count Evan out. He is one of our more artistic skaters, and he's so athletic... *fangirly gush*

seriously the men's is the field to watch going into nationals! :clap:

Even if Weiss has only one GP event, it will tell us whether or not he is competititve. He can be a very good skater minus the quad. He could be a great skater if he changed his choreography.

Johnny was hurting latter part of last season. Otherwise he is consistent. TT will give him a beautiful lyric routine and that will guarantee him a few GPs and Nats.

Lysacek has gotten himself into being a consistent skater minus the quad. He should be in the running for the GPs and Nats.

Tim had moments of past greatness in Portland. I question whether he can regain that, and more, and of course, be solid.

There are other talented American Men in the mix: Jahnke, Savoie, Brauninger, Bradley, Smith, Overett, Delmore. None of whom I think will rise to the heights of the above four but will make a good impression on the viewer.

The Men's event in the Nationals will be a humdinger but I don't see the American Men on the podium at the Olys. We'll see how the GPs go and hopefully, I'll change my mind.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think either Evan or Johnny could realistically medal (though not both). Johnny at his best certainly can; Evan is rather consistent, so he can medal if others make many mistakes.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
IIRC, and I think I do because its Ryan Jahnke and I adore him, Ryan did get a GP assignment this coming year. I think its Cup of China but I could be wrong. I just know for sure that he got at least one assignment. :rock:

From his results in Portland, Mike nearly made it so that he has to go through Regionals/Sectionals to get back to Nats this coming season. He was one place away from that and he just was not himself the entire week. He never really looked like he wanted to be there IMO. I kinda wish Mike would go pro now because I've liked his more pro type programs better than his eligible programs recently. I don't care for the guy very much personality wise but I do appreciate his skating......when he does programs that work with his style. I liked the ones he did for that Disson show this past season and if he branched out and used other choreographers, I think he would do better. Just my opinion though. ;)

ITA that the mens competition at US Nats is going to be killer. There are just too many skaters that I like for me to ever be completely happy with the US Mens Olys team! I adore Matt, Johnny is stellar, Evan is awesome, Braden Overett is just fantastic, Jordan Wilson (he's a VERY long shot for a top position but he's so much fun to watch), Timmy, and of course, Ryan Jahnke. It will be crazy awesome but I do have to say this about my absolute fave guy.......Ryan Jahnke for the OLYMPIC TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!! <3333333 :rock: :love: :agree: :biggrin:

Last edited:

Katya

Rinkside
Jahnke is on the GP roster for China, along with Savoie. ITA, the men's event at US Nats is going to be the one to watch!

guinevere

Final Flight
I can't wait for the US Nat'ls men's comp - it's going to be amazing!

Right now, I don't think think anyone is a lock, but there are 5 major contenders for 3 Oly slots: Weir, Goebel, Weiss, Lysacek and Savoie. I'd say that Weir and Lysacek have the best shot right now, but there are lots of factors that can play out over the GP to tip the scales.

Personally, I'd love to see Weir, Savoie, and Lysacek on the Nat'ls podium, but I also can't help but hope that Tim get his jumps back. His SP in Portland was absolutely brilliant.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Weiss, Weiss, Weiss....... I think his best days are behind him. I couldn't imagine Johnny not making the team. If he is healthy he is definitely a medal contender. Lysaceck. is also a contender for a medal and I'm sure he is the best hope of the future. Timmy needs to get those quads back but will a summer with Tarasova give him the whole complete package. Savoie who is my personal favorite and a creative genius will be a threat if the others falter.

dr.frog

On the Ice
Weiss has listed the France GP on his schedule on his official web site, so it probably means he intends to do it.

As others have noted, Jahnke got assigned to the China GP, and I think having only one assignment is far better for him than the schedule he had last year, when having to travel to Asia for the GPF in December left him too tired and injured to train properly for Nationals. This year the GPF is in Asia again (Japan) and I don't think *any* of the North American skaters really want to have to do the extra travel right before nationals in the Olympic season!

mzheng

Record Breaker
KwanFan1212 said:
. I don't care for the guy very much personality wise but I do appreciate his skating......when he does programs that work with his style. I liked the ones he did for that Disson show this past season and if he branched out and used other choreographers, I think he would do better. Just my opinion though. ;)
:
ITA. I don't know his pro programs. But the other day I reviewed 2003 Nationals, it was the first time I noticed that how good his edge quality was. His step squence so secure, yet fast, fluent and difficult.

Realisticly, I'd be happy either Matt or Jahnke on team. Even more happy if both of them make it.

Linny

Final Flight
Amazing

Pretty amazing that the Men's event is the one to watch at USA Nationals, especially considering the small pool of male figure skaters in that country.
Linny

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
KwanFan1212 said:
ITA that the mens competition at US Nats is going to be killer. There are just too many skaters that I like for me to ever be completely happy with the US Mens Olys team! I adore Matt, Johnny is stellar, Evan is awesome, Braden Overett is just fantastic, Jordan Wilson (he's a VERY long shot for a top position but he's so much fun to watch), Timmy, and of course, Ryan Jahnke. It will be crazy awesome but I do have to say this about my absolute fave guy.......Ryan Jahnke for the OLYMPIC TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!! <3333333 :rock: :love: :agree: :biggrin:

we are so going to be the mental section at nationals lol with all of us there, every major player has at least one supporter! :laugh: :rock:

guinevere

Final Flight
Linny said:
Pretty amazing that the Men's event is the one to watch at USA Nationals, especially considering the small pool of male figure skaters in that country.
Linny
I've felt that the men's event at US Nat'l has been THE event to watch for a few years now! In the other divisions, there's not much contest outside the top 2, or possibly 3, competitors/teams.

Linny said:
Pretty amazing that the Men's event is the one to watch at USA Nationals, especially considering the small pool of male figure skaters in that country.Linny
Linny - Would you consider there are large pools of male figure skaters in France: Joubert, Dambier,? in Russia: Plushenko, Griazev,?; Switzerland: Lambiel, Othmund,?, China: Li; Min,?; Japan: Honda, Daisuke,? Canada: yeah big pool

I don't think it's that amazing that the contest is close in the US or Canada. It seems in the countries I listed above, there is a lock on the winner only. Little in the way of a close competition.

Joe

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
I think Michael Weiss should hire a new choreographer. His Led Zeppelin/Mettalica LP from last season was uninspiring and it did not do him any justice. Weiss may not have the classic line and extension of Russian skaters, but he has elegant upper carriage and his own artistic "style". IMHO, Weiss is one of the most expressive male skaters and with the right combination of athleticism and artistry, he can compete with the best in the world.

Jhar55

Medalist
Like I've said before I like Evan had my eye on him since Skate America and hopes he moves up at Nationals this year and get on the Oylmipc team. :clap:
When I first saw him skate it remined me of the first time I saw Todd E. skate. He just has something about him. Go Evan :rock:

michaelfsfan said:
I think Michael Weiss should hire a new choreographer. His Led Zeppelin/Mettalica LP from last season was uninspiring and it did not do him any justice. Weiss may not have the classic line and extension of Russian skaters, but he has elegant upper carriage and his own artistic "style". IMHO, Weiss is one of the most expressive male skaters and with the right combination of athleticism and artistry, he can compete with the best in the world.
I presume you are speaking of Russian Dance and Pairs teams. I agree that's something one could see and also in other teams. I would hardly think Irina (their best female skater, ever) as having classic line and her extension is limited to one acrobatic trick because her body allows for that.

Yes, I think everyone thinks Michael needs choreography that shows his speed, flow and line because he has these fundamentals.

1od

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Yes, choreography stinks there. I guess no one has come up with the solution to do it without making his wife angry. Tough spot.

heyang

Record Breaker
When Weiss goes pro, I fear that he will become a trick skater. He has his tornado move and his freedom blades. At least joining a show means that he'll be able to get input from other choreographers.