Chris Mabee fundraiser | Golden Skate

Chris Mabee fundraiser

That was a great write-up of the event, Mige. I wish there were more local shows of this type. I try to catch as many as I can in the Detroit area, and I am always impressed at the depth of talent.

Mathman:)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks for this update on Chris Mabee. He was absolutely inspiring at Canadians this year. Both Chris and Jeff brought down the house when they skated their near perfect programs. I am looking forward to seeing Chris skate again. I think he is very talented and has a bright future in figure skating.

mige

Rinkside
Mathman said:
That was a great write-up of the event, Mige. I wish there were more local shows of this type. I try to catch as many as I can in the Detroit area, and I am always impressed at the depth of talent.

Actually I didn't write it, Megi did. I only did the layout, but I guess the Mige-Megi thing is quite confusing... :laugh:
But still thanks for the compliment, I passed it on to the writer! :rock:

Are there many of these shows in the Detroit area mathman? Where have you been ( I mean which skaters did you see)?

~Mige

There is a big show called Skate Detroit every summer (it's coming up on July 20 this year). It is not a fund raiser for a particular skater, but it is billed as part of the "future champions series." I am not sure what events comprise this series. Maybe Sylvia will comment.

Last year Totmianina and Marinen headlined the pairs, but the action was in the men's division. Jordan Brauninger edged out Ryan Jahke, Rohene Ward, Parker Pennington --- and Chris Maybee :) for first.

Besides that, each rink puts on shows featuring their own skaters, and somtimes resident pros like Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen skate. The Detroit Skating Club, the Onyx, the Artic Edge and the club in St Clair Shores where Jahnke and the Czisney sisters started out, have regular events.

The best show I saw all year was the Skate Aid show organized by Belbin and Agosto to raise money for the victims on the tsunami disaster last year. They were able to attract a stellar cast, including Johnny Weir, Orsher and Lucash and Evan Lysacek. All of the skaters volunteered their time, and they also lined up corporate donations to cover all of the expenses, so 100% of the gate went to the Red Cross.