How much more difficult is the 'Tano lutz than a regular lutz? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How much more difficult is the 'Tano lutz than a regular lutz?

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
There was some fluff piece of Sasha ('03 Nats I think) where there were some clips of her practice sessions, and she was doing a 'tano jump. I don't recall what jump it was or whether it was a double or triple though. I'd have to go back and watch it.

Ryan Janke has a great 'Tano Lutz though.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Vash01 said:
It is more difficult because instead of having both arms close to the body, one arm is up in the air, which makes it more difficult to complete the rotations. Boitano was the most consistent with it, and the first one to do this (hence the name 'Tano Lutz). However, a few other skaters have landed it.... Vyacheslav Zagoradniuk (Ukraine), and Ilia Kulik (I have seen him do this just once).

Vash

Ilia Kulik has done it more than once. As far as I remember he did it in one or two programme during his eleigible career and at least once in a pro or pro-am competition. I think that any jump Ilia is doing, is highly impressive.

oliviajiang

Spectator
Jaana said:
Ilia Kulik has done it more than once. As far as I remember he did it in one or two programme during his eleigible career and at least once in a pro or pro-am competition. I think that any jump Ilia is doing, is highly impressive.
ITA, I have seen him done it at last twice.One was in his R&J(the black costume,can't remenber which competition) one is in his Pagliacci,IIRC it was in 98 Ultimate Four.The jump was superb :love: :love: :clap:

Thanks for posting, Oliviajiang. I see that you have been a GS member for some time, but this is your first post. :clap: Welcome aboard.

Mathman

Without a doubt, it makes the jump more difficult, and two arms up would make it almost impossible except for the exceptional skater. Has anyone executed any rotating jump with two arms up?

Joe

I

IcyBallerina

dlkksk8fan said:
I like the "tano lutz". I would assume It is more difficult to do. I wonder if anyone has done a jump with both arms in the air high above the head.

At our local competition this weekend, one of the intermediate girls (whose program I quite liked, if I'm not mixing her up with one of the bazillion programs I saw yesterday) did a double loop with both arms overhead.
I don't remember her program (I think it was Rainmaker or a Saint-Saens' Carnivaux medley) but I definitely remember that double loop.

oliviajiang

Spectator
Joesitz said:
Without a doubt, it makes the jump more difficult, and two arms up would make it almost impossible except for the exceptional skater. Has anyone executed any rotating jump with two arms up?

Joe
I heard someone said that Irina Slutskaya has done one in a competition,but I don't konw it's a triple or a double :cool:

Last edited:

mememe

On the Ice
IcyBallerina said:
At our local competition this weekend, one of the intermediate girls (whose program I quite liked, if I'm not mixing her up with one of the bazillion programs I saw yesterday) did a double loop with both arms overhead.
I don't remember her program (I think it was Rainmaker or a Saint-Saens' Carnivaux medley) but I definitely remember that double loop.

Brian Boitano did a double loop in one of his programs -- I think it was at Landover -- with both arms overhead, too. Probably about 1989 or thereabouts, I'd have to check my tape, but I believe it was in a program to "Just out of Reach." It was a lovely looking jump.

And Michael Chack used to do a triple toe with his hands on his hips -- for a while, it was called a "chack toe."

ElFuego

Rinkside
Joesitz said:

Joe

I've seen it by novice girls in club competitions fairly often (usually with the double loop with both arms over their heads). It's not that unusual.

The first time I ever saw a so called 'Tano position was in 1984 -- Tiffany Chin did her double axel with one arm over her head. Interestingly enough, at that point, Boitano was doing his lutz with a conventional arm position. About 20 years before Chin was doing her axel with this position, Petra Burka was doing a double lutz with this position.

I'm sure skaters did jumps with their arms over their heads even before that.

Perry

Rinkside
It's actually physically harder to do that variation of a lutz because (and this is going off my limited knowledge of physics) his moment of intertia, which determines how easily one can increase (or decrease) rotational speed, becomes greater as his arms move away from his center of mass.

It's tough. That is true, and I hope we are not accepting 2 arms above the head in a 'hands up' police action. the arms should either be in the balletic first position or in a character pose. Not easy.

Joe

mememe

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
It's tough. That is true, and I hope we are not accepting 2 arms above the head in a 'hands up' police action. the arms should either be in the balletic first position or in a character pose. Not easy.

Joe

I know Brian's two-arms-up double loop wasn't in a 'hands up' position -- I'll have to check out the tape to find out exactly what the two arms were doing, however.

And by the way, Brian first did a Tano triple lutz at 1981 (or maybe 82, I'll have to check) Skate Canada. He did it in the short program with a double toe on the end as his combination. However, he had a scratchy (perhaps slightly two-footed?) landing on the lutz and decided to stop working on it then. From what I've heard, Linda Leaver suggested he put it in his 1986-87 long program as a way to increase difficulty and include something unique. He did it in the 1986-87 year and 1987-88 year, but I think only in his long programs, not in exhibitions, etc., because it was hard. After he turned pro, he did both kinds of lutzes for a while, then added the spread eagle entry to the tano about a year or so after the Olympics and pretty much did only tanos after that -- except, as heyang said in an earlier post, he did do one pro comp (Skatesx2) in which he did a tano lutz in the first program fine, then decided to put a lutz in his second program, too, but do it in the "regular" position. He had trouble on the landing -- I believe he two-footed it -- and said after that he'd done the tano position for so long that his timing was off for the regular kind.

Like Joe, I think it DOES add difficulty to do different arm positions or unique entries, etc., to jumps and spins. But if you practice anything a lot, it will get "easier" FOR YOU. Ryan J. has practiced the tano a lot (and he surely does beautiful ones most of the time), so it might be "easier" FOR HIM now to do it that way, but it doesn't mean the jump is easy. Quads seem to be "easy" for Plushenko, too, but I wouldn't say the jump is easy, only that he's worked hard enough at it to make it, if not easy, then at least consistent.

I remember watching a Four Continents competition a few years back and after seeing so many of the men competitors have trouble with a spread eagle, I came to the conclusion that, while for the likes of Brian B., Paul Wylie, etc., that move may be "easy," it isn't necessarily an easy move!