HELP choosing new skates! | Golden Skate

HELP choosing new skates!

back2sk8ing

Spectator
I haven't skated much since my daughter was born, but now that she is older I am getting back into it. My old skates are SP Teri Super Teri with a Coronation Ace blade, but they don't fit anymore. Yes, your feet really do get bigger sfter childbirth! I doubt I will do more than a single axel for a while, so I'd rather start low and move up later. Any suggestions?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hi back2skating, and welcome to GS! :)

I too just started back skating over a year ago. I also had SP teri's that didn't fit. I tried on a new pair of SP teri's but they hurt my feet a lot! My main concern was comfort so I went with Graf's "Richmond Special". They have been working out fine. I do single jumps and most spins.

Go to your local pro shop and try on different types of skates to find out what works best for you. Good luck.

Skater_Kid

Rinkside
I use Jackson boots and coranation ace blades and i love them.....at first i wanted Klingbeils but my coach told me to use the Jackson's because all of her students use them....including Jeff Buttle(hes my homeboy lol )
and Wendy is a friggin smart woman so i just shut up and listen to her lol :)

WeirsAngel

Rinkside
What I've heard is that the graf skates are very heavy, and it's more difficult to do spirals. I don't know much about the american skates because I live in Sweden, but I've heard that Riedell skates are very good. And there's Risport...My friend's foot got infected and a lot of that stuff because of her skates so now she can't skate for a while... So That's something bad with risport. But I've heard edea skates are very good, but they're very small (on the side). Well...I guess you just can ask your coach or someone that sells skates...They probably know:agree:

Dutch Skater

Rinkside
I have got Risport skates, don't know the exact type. but they work fine for me, every one in our club has got risport skates, because there's a risport shop in our rink.. :p a couple of kids have god others, but they jump double jumps and stuf.. so they have to..

skatepixie

On the Ice
Grafs tend to measure quite wide, so if you have wide feet it will be good, but if you dont it might not work so well. Also they dont offer custom, and I doubt they do special order (although I could be wrong about that) so if you have special requirements then theres a good chance that they wont be met with Graf.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I have semi-customized Jackson Elites (my skate fitter had them cut off the top eyelet to give it more of a dance profile, and they're D ball, B heel--I'd never had my feet measured in so much detail before, and it actually explains a lot about my inability to find shoes that fit.) Obviously I've got WIDE feet (well, wide in front) and the customizable width works really well for me. However, I will say, don't skimp on blades. I did, getting the cheapest pair he was willing to sell, and I'm fed up with them after only five months.

My friend just got a new pair of SP Teris for synchro, and is rather fond of them. I didn't try any Riedels, but she has, and she said that the problem she ran into is that the toeboxes tend to run narrow, so if you have wideish feet it might be a problem. The fitter I go to deals mostly in Jacksons and Grafs, so I took his recommendation for what I was willing to spend (I didn't want to go over $450 total for boots and blades.)

skatere1990

Rinkside
i have jacksons but hate them... im going back to grafs as soon as regionals is over. im so excited for that... graffs do fit wider feet which makes them really comfortable and there actually lighter then jacksons ( i weighed them once for a science project and compared different brands...) if your just doing singles the richmond will work but edmonton are also not *that* stiff. I have the extra stiff ones from canada so they last longer than 8 months. my jacksons are done and i have the highest model and ive had them only since May. My mom wasnt to happy about that because it of the money so if you want a skate to last i wouldnt get jacksons.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I have Richmond Grafs and am finding them to be not that stiff, even though I am doing only single jumps. What are the "extra stiff" ones?

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
I have the Jackson Competitors with Coronation Comet blades (love them). The competitors are good through some doubles (which I don't have). They are reasonably good and come in widths up to D but if you have an unusually narrow heel, don't get them as you will have problems.

They are heat moldable and break in time is minimum. Very comfortable and supportive skates. Takes about 10-15 hours to get a minimum break in done. This is my 2nd pair (same type) and this pair feels stiffer than the last-found out that the whole Jackson line has been 'redesigned' so they did something.

Good luck finding a good boot!

Alexei'sgirl

Rinkside
As a relatively new skater, I wear Jackson Competitor boots with a Protege blade. I'm not even close to jumping, so the fact that they'll get you up to doubles, they'll do well for me. I really like Jacksons, because my foot is boxy-er at the end, so Riedells would be bad because they are more narrow in the toe-box. I was very fortunate in finding someone who knew all brands of skates and was able to fit me into the right pair. So that's my best advice is to find a pro who doesn't just work with one or two brands, but someone who can offer you a multitude of possibilities.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Well I guess brand are different in USA and in Europe, but personaly I think that Risports are very good...as I know, nobody ever had problems with them.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The best thing you can do is get a recommendation for a good fitter and have him/her try as many different boots as possible with you until you find the one that is best for you. Each skater is a little different