Movie Quotes That Should Have Made The List... | Golden Skate

Movie Quotes That Should Have Made The List...

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay, so I missed the show, but read the list of quotes. Not bad, but there are a few more that "should" have made the list......What about....

"Try not, do or do not, there is no try"........Yoda speaking from "Empire Strikes Back". I love this quote, and use it all the time. What are your favs that didn't make the list? 42

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
"May the force be with you"- All the Starwars movies

"Here's looking at you, kid!"- Casablanca

sk8m8

Final Flight
"I feel like a got a great deal on a used car." The Big Chill (Mary Kay Place to Kevin Kline, Glenn Close's husband who have both agreed to allowed him to father MKP's child)

Buzzz

Final Flight
My favourite movie quotes:

1. "Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?" Princess Leia STAR WARS
2. "If you need me just whistle. You do know how to whistle don't you? just put your lips together and blow." Lauren Bacall to Humphrey Bogart from The Big Sleep. (1946)
3. "I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" Dorothy in the Wizard Of Oz
4. "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get." Forest Gump

mike79

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
"May the force be with you"- All the Starwars movies

"Here's looking at you, kid!"- Casablanca

That one was actually in the top ten. The one they left out was 'I am your father', which should have been there.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ITA, Mike about the Vader line... another Star Wars line I would have added would be "I have a bad feeling about this" or Yoda's "Do or do not. There is no try"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Buzzz said:
My favourite movie quotes:

1. "Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?" Princess Leia STAR WARS
2. "If you need me just whistle. You do know how to whistle don't you? just put your lips together and blow." Lauren Bacall to Humphrey Bogart from The Big Sleep. (1946)
3. "I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" Dorothy in the Wizard Of Oz
4. "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get." Forest Gump

except for the Star Wars line the rest of the lines made the AFI top 100 list...

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Somehow, they left out the line from Casablanca "I'm shocked ... shocked that gambling is going on ..." I also like Yoda's "when 800 years you become, look as good, you will not".

I was a little disappointed that they inserted quotes that really belong to reality, not the movies. For example, they included "I'm the luckiest man on the face of the earth", which belongs to reality (Lou Gehrig really said it in his farewell speech)

4dogknight

Final Flight
As usual I have a list of my favorite quotes. Of those, these are my favorites not on the AFI list:

What happened mother? Why did we all run?
Man was in the forest.
- Bambi

I was proud of my work. And the buildings went up. When they were finished the damnedest thing happened. It was like the buildings were too good for us. Nobody told us that. It just felt uncomfortable, that's all.
- Breaking Away

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've got to want it bad, because it's going to put up a fight.
The symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.
You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil who is standing center stage advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.
- The American President

How do you have patience for people who claim they love America, but clearly can't stand Americans?
- The American President

Listen, I'm a politician which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops. But it also means I keep my options open.
– The Hunt for Red October

We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it
- Crimson Tide

Principles only mean something when you stick to them when its inconvenient.
- The Contender.

People"? I ain't "people." I am a - "a shimmering, glowing star in the cinema firmament."
– Singing In The Rain

And though every single human in the stands or in the commentary boxes was at a complete loss for words, the man who in his life had uttered fewer words than any of them knew exactly what to say.
: That'll do, pig. That'll do.
- Babe

Don't let it be forgot / That once there was a spot / For one brief shining moment / That was known as Camelot!
- Camelot - (Yeah I know it's from a song but it's spoken in the stage play and in the film.)

How is it different? You're just like the rest of them! You think you're different, but you're not, because you're just, you're just really scared! You're really scared to give someone new a go, because you think, you know, they might just be better than you are! Well, you're just pathetic, and you're gutless. You're a gutless wonder! Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias! (A life lived in fear is a life half lived.)
- Strictly Ballroom

4dk

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have a few more

"He chose poorly" - really old knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

"Never tell me the odds!" - Han Solo in the Empire Strikes Back

"Who's the more foolish: the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi-Wan Kenobi to Han Solo in Star Wars: A New Hope

"In my country we talk to our women, we do not drug them with plants." Izeem(Morgan Freeman) in response to Robin Hood's(Kevin Costner) admitting he used Mistletoe to get women to *ahem* LOL in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

Shoeless Joe Jackson: "Hey, is this Heaven?"
*brain fart* (Kevin Costner's Part): "No. It's Iowa" :laugh:

"Oh, there are rules? No, there are no rules." - James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams when he's going to bash Kostner's head in with a crow bar... I LOVE that entire scene...

spoiler only if you've not seen Revenge of the Sith (my only question is, what is wrong with you? GO SEE IT! LOL j/k)

I would have liked to see Revenge of the Sith get a nod with Obi-Wan's whole:
"You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness." and then after Anakin screams "I hate you" Obi-Wan says "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you."

4dogknight

Final Flight
I can't believe I forgot to list this favorite quote; it is appropriate in so many situations.

Aristophanes once wrote, roughly translated; "Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever.
- The Emperors Club

4dk

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
These are great. I knew we could come up with some other memorable lines. Here are a few more...

From Empire Strikes Back......."Luke, I am your father".......I've heard this line used on a lot of comedy skits.

One more from "Jurassic Park"......"When the Pirates of the Caribbean ride breaks down, the pirates don't eat the guests!" (This line was said after the owner of Jurrassic Park stated that all theme parks have problems with their rides now and then......) 42

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Favorites & a Correction

Cool list... I apologize in advance if the following appeared on the show... Didn't watch it...

"Fly pelicans Fly!" Scarface ~ the infamous bathtup scene

"As I try to imagine a life that doesn't so closely resemble hell" American Beauty ~ Best movie EVER!!!!

"I just wanna look good naked!" American Beauty

Personal Fav & philisophy on life... the always magnificent Yoda...
"do or do not... there is no try"

The correction...

I honestly do not believe that Vadar EVER says: "Luke, I am your father." Luke's name is never said in that sentence... and I am a HUGE Star Wars fan... If I am mistake, PLEASE SOMEONE tell me where in ESB or Return this is said ~ given that I've caused more than one fist to cuffs arguement about my conviction that this line is the most mis-quoted in cinema history...

Thanks~

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
These are great. I knew we could come up with some other memorable lines. Here are a few more...

From Empire Strikes Back......."Luke, I am your father".......I've heard this line used on a lot of comedy skits.

One more from "Jurassic Park"......"When the Pirates of the Caribbean ride breaks down, the pirates don't eat the guests!" (This line was said after the owner of Jurrassic Park stated that all theme parks have problems with their rides now and then......) 42

Ian Malcom rules all in JP!!!!

Kwanford... the ENTIRE line from ESB was

Vader: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: He told me enough. He told me YOU killed him [ie Anakin Skywalker]
Vader: No, Luke. I am your father.
Luke: That's not true, that's impossible
Vader: Search your feelings you know it to be true.
Luke: NO!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so no, the sentence has never been "Luke, I am your father" however EVERYONE remembers it that way lol

yes I do realize I've seen ESB one too many times

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Ian Malcom rules all in JP!!!!

Kwanford... the ENTIRE line from ESB was

Vader: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: He told me enough. He told me YOU killed him [ie Anakin Skywalker]
Vader: No, Luke. I am your father.
Luke: That's not true, that's impossible
Vader: Search your feelings you know it to be true.
Luke: NO!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so no, the sentence has never been "Luke, I am your father" however EVERYONE remembers it that way lol

yes I do realize I've seen ESB one too many times

:clap: Yay! I knew I wasn't crazy... well, that is still up for debate...

Thank you. I too have seen ESB one too many times, but since I have the attention span of a gnat... well, you get the idea. But of course, now I feel compelled to leave the office & watch it again... ;)

KW

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
:clap: Yay! I knew I wasn't crazy... well, that is still up for debate...

Thank you. I too have seen ESB one too many times, but since I have the attention span of a gnat... well, you get the idea. But of course, now I feel compelled to leave the office & watch it again... ;)

KW

I could probably quote the whole movie if I wanted to... I memorized it when I was 9 or 10, and even now I can remember the lines and I haven't watched the movies nearly as much as I used to...

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This is interesting........evidently, no one but George Lucas and a few others knew for certain what Darth Vadar would say to Luke during the light saber fight at the end of "Empire Strikes Back". Vadar said that "Obi-won" had killed Luke's father. Lucas told Mark Hamil right before the scene was shot that Darth Vadar was Luke's father. He needed that surprise look on Hamil's face to be genuine. Later on they changed the line to say that D.V. was indeed Luke's father.....

Anyway, another couple of great lines from movies........who can forget Spock in nearly all of the Star Trek movies saying....."Live long and prosper".....and from "Young Frankenstein".........."Hump, what hump"........... :biggrin: 42

sk8m8

Final Flight
One of my favorite quotes from a bad movie (Mahogany) after Anthony Perkins kills himself and nearly takes Diana Ross with him, her friend replies "...yet again proving, you're only young once, but you can be immature forever"