What "Warhorse" for your favorite skaters??? | Golden Skate

What "Warhorse" for your favorite skaters???

sk8m8

Final Flight
I got to thinking about the impending Olympic season and all the choices that will soon be revealed about who is doing what program. We've often times discussed "Warhorses"....those classical pieces that we can all hum in our sleep.

Here's a summer discussion quesion....What "Warhorse" classical piece of music would you choose for your favorite skater? For me, there are a couple...I'd love to see Michelle skate to Claire de Lune. It would be interesting to see if she could "fill up" all the empty spaces withing this impressionistic tone poem.

Another skater I'd love to see in moldy musical selections would be a guy, maybe johnny or jeff buttle, skate to Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun. I've seen several ladies do this, however can't recall any guys perfoming this one.

Oh, and just to keep it interesting, why not include skaters from the past? Toller skated to an operetic aria, anyone want to strap Janet Lynn with Tosca?

Now for you. I'm looking forward to hearing some of this answers...
to quote Mike Myer's Linda Eastman character on SNL....
"Warhorses; not War, not Horses....Discuss!" :p

Last edited:

Eeyora

Final Flight
I always wanted

Michelle to skate to "Nessun Dorma:" from Turnadot or Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini.

Clair De Lune would also suit Angela

Sasha- Tchaikovsky's Piano Concert #1

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Eeyora said:
I always wanted

Sasha- Tchaikovsky's Piano Concert #1

I totally agree with this one! And would also love to see Johnny Weir to use that music.

waxel

Final Flight
Would love to see Sasha skate to Masquerade Waltz. And I can only dream of how beautiful a program Johnny could skate to Massenet's Meditation de Thais.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Eeyora said:
I always wanted

Michelle to skate to ... Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini.

Who wrote "Rhapsody on a theme"? Someone told me that it was Rachmaninoff -- and there are rumors from a reliable source that Michelle is skating to something by Rachmaninoff this year.

Faun was skated to by Ilia Klimkin and it was nothing short of magnificent.

All the tunes noted are definitely warhorses, and poor Sasha can not get away from Tschaikowsky for her LP. they are definitely pieces to show off the technique and they suit Sasha.

I was wondering why no one ever tried Chopin? Several of his pieces were orchestrated for Fokine's ballet 'Les Sylphides'. I think they would be a challenge but they would have to be cut for skating. It would take a very special skater to do these Chopin pieces, imo.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joshua Bell and the Academy of St. Martin's in the Fields recorded a violin and orchestra transcription of Chopin's Nocturne in C-sharp Minor on their "Romance of the Violin" album. It's a little over 4 minutes long, and when I hear it, I see Sasha Cohen skating to it.

If anyone is going to use "Meditation," I hope they can get the rights to the transacription Yo Yo Ma and Kathryn Stott used for their "Paris: La Belle Epoque" album. It would need some cuts at 5'48", but it is gorgeously played at a pace that could be expressed by a skater with deep edges and the patience to time elements to the music. And the real ending to the music is played meltingly.

Last edited:

Eeyora

Final Flight
attyfan said:
[

Who wrote "Rhapsody on a theme"? Someone told me that it was Rachmaninoff -- and there are rumors from a reliable source that Michelle is skating to something by Rachmaninoff this year.

Yes it was Rachmaninoff

If Tarasova did the choreography I can believe MK could very well be skating to Rachmaninoff. Have we ascertained that TT has done the choreo for MK?
Am I mistaken or didn't MK do a Rach by Lori?

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Yes Joe, MK skated to Rach 3 in the '98 season for her SP. She used the same program again for the '02 Olympic season.
My guess is the Rach this year will be something from piano concerto #2 ... with perhaps a little of the Paganini Rhapsody mixed in with it.
Okay ... so maybe that's what I'm "hoping" for! :laugh:

nymkfan51

Medalist
Joe ... although there has not been any announcement from Michelle, the TT part of this is pretty much set in stone. The Rach part is not as certain, although even that has a pretty good chance of being right.

Gregor

Rinkside
Firebird for Lysacek. Anything by Aaron Copeland (not a warhorse but great music) Meissner (Kwan or Cohen would not take the risk I think),

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
It's not a warhorse, but I'd like to see Ilia Klimkin skate to Rite of Spring. He'd make a great Chosen One.

The two above posts are excitingly interesting. There is nothing standard about Stavrinsky. It would be a challenge for Evan. I think Ilia could handle it.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Lysacek would do really well to the Monster's Dance. (So would Joubert, if he'd give up macho movie scripts.) Weir would be an awesome interpreter of the pas de deux and the Berceuse.

Klimkin as The Chosen One -- I don't think my heart would survive that one :)

EricAba

Rinkside
I agree with Michelle skating to Variations on a Theme by Paganini, especially the slow part. Perhaps we'll get to see that next year?

Also, I agree with Copland: I think it was mentioned somewhere that Ryan Jahnke's LP for the upcoming season is to Copland- can't wait to see that. I also seem to remember Brian B. skating to Copland, with his gorgeous spread eagles matching the vastness and majesty of the music. Does anyone else remember this, and what piece of music it was?

On another note, how about Evan Lysacek skating to Casablanca?

Last edited: