What "Warhorse" for your favorite skaters??? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What "Warhorse" for your favorite skaters???

bdreampixie

On the Ice
I'll probably get stoned for this one, but I would love to see Sasha do a Don Q LP. I can imagine her doing a great program to that music.

Michelle + Cappriccio Espagnole (sp?) = :love: I'd die happy.

I'd also love to see Kwan do Meditation. Jeffrey Buttle do Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev.

It's not really overused but I'd love to see Irina or Bebe do sp to "Green Hornet"

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
EricAba said:
. I also seem to remember Brian B. skating to Copland, with his gorgeous spread eagles matching the vastness and majesty of the music. Does anyone else remember this, and what piece of music it was?

I think you mean "Appalachian Spring " (containing the part that has been called "Simple Gifts"), and that was his free skate music for the 1994 US Nationals & Olympics, wasn't it?

Last edited:
Jennifer Robinson :love: skated to this music, too, in the 2001-2002 season (choreo by Lori Nichol).

EricAba

Rinkside
Yes, Appalachian Spring. That was it. Thanks, iluvtodd. Isn't this the program where he traces the Olympic rings on the ice, as well?

P.S. On another note, can anyone tell me how to add quoteboxes from other people's posts to my replies? I can't seem to figure it out.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
EricAba said:
P.S. On another note, can anyone tell me how to add quoteboxes from other people's posts to my replies? I can't seem to figure it out.
EricAba, it actually does it itself. You click on the posters "quote" at the bottom of the poster's post you want to quote. When you click on the "quote" it brings up the posters post. If you want you can delete some of the post and leave what you want to reply to.

You can also quote something by copying what you want to "quote" and clicking on the icon that looks like a page, it's right under color, the last icon to the right. When you click on that you paste what you want to be "quoted in there. Also, you can quote something by using [ quote]This is how you quote[ /quote] without the spaces before the word quote in brackets. I had to do that or it would have quoted ---This is how you quote.

If you need more help...........just ask away.

Dee

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
EricAba said:
Yes, Appalachian Spring. That was it. Thanks, iluvtodd. Isn't this the program where he traces the Olympic rings on the ice, as well?

I think the program where Brian traces the Olympic rings was a pro program to the Olympic music "Summon the Heroes".

I LOVED his Appalachian Spring program! :rock:

Eliza

Rinkside
soogar said:
It's not a warhorse, but I'd like to see Ilia Klimkin skate to Rite of Spring. He'd make a great Chosen One.

I've often wished someone would use Rite of Spring. I think Buttle could also do interesting things with it.

I would love to see Weir skate to Scheherazade.

Eliza

cianni

On the Ice

Thanks for the answer to quotes I also have wondered how that was done. Computer illiterate here.

mememe

On the Ice
purplecat said:
I think the program where Brian traces the Olympic rings was a pro program to the Olympic music "Summon the Heroes".

I LOVED his Appalachian Spring program! :rock:

So did I! Brian's 1994 Olympic long program was Lincoln Portraits/Appalacian Spring (with, as mentioned, included some of Simple Gifts). In that one he did the "switchback" spread eagle move, going the width of the arena a couple of times.

There is a lot of gorgeous music in Appalacian Spring, Tenderland/Promise of Living and Fanfare for the Common Man. Underhill & Martini and Valova & Vassiliev did a hauntingly beautiful "fours" ensemble to music from Tenderland/Promise of Living in the Skating II tour, which led into a program by Brian to more Copland, and the whole effect was stunning. I think Copland music would make a great long program for any number of skaters.

Brian traced the Olympic rings in "Summon the Heroes," which he did at a couple of pro competitions (Gold Championship and one in Auburn Hills, Mich. -- can't remember what it was called) in, I think, 1996 (?).

lillyfore

Rinkside
I would like to see Sasha skating on "Tosca": Altough this opera has been used many times recently, no one skated to the aria "Vissi dArte": As this piece is very lyrical I think it could be very good as a slow part in Sasha`s program! I would love to see her on this music!

As long as a skater does not interpret the character in an opera or ballet, I have no objection to seeing a skater use an aria or other music from a story theatrical piece.

I prefer the skater to show great flow on the ice together with great musical rythym and timing. The tricks, too, should fit nicely into the choreography without disturbing this flow and timing.

Skaters, imo, are not trained for theatrics and much too young to show any depth of feeling for a story line. Tosca, the opera, is a good example of a heavy melodrama and to mimic the story line in four minutes is just plain ludicrous in my opinion.

Vise d'Arte as an exhibition piece would be very nice for Sasha if she leaves out the 'acting' bit and just skates lyrically to the music. JMO.

Joe

sk8m8

Final Flight
Here's another chestnut. I'd love to see Sasha skate to "The Girl With The Flaxen Hair" which is a short tone poem by Debussy. I've also mentioned Claire de Lune before, too for Michelle or someone who skates in her style. I found a great harp version that I believe would be a lovely exhibition piece.

Also with CdL I've never seen a guy skate to it. Could it be made "masculine" enough to skate to? I guess that sexist to think that music can only be used for one gender. That would be another good thread, or addition to this one.
"What skater could use music typically used for another gender...for example, though I've seen a couple of guys do pieces from Swan Lake, I've never seen any guy do 'Song of the Black Swan", which is terrific music, even if it is another war horse. Thoughts?

That's a great topic, Skatemate. I would start the new thread, only I am having a hard time chosing music that I would classify as "masculine" or "feminine."

Unchained Melody (Johnnie Weir) is huntingly beautiful and, to me, has both emotional depth and aesthetic delicacy (like women, LOL). But it is sung by a man who is in prison, worrying that his girl friend has ditched him while he was in the slammer.

I'd love to see Michelle skating to thrilling "masculine" marshall music like Ode to Joy from Beethoven's Ninth. (But leave the William Tell Overature to Michael Weiss, LOL.)

I can't see two men, or even a man and a woman, skating a duet to "The letter duet" (Sull'aria) from the Marriage of Figaro. Whereas, I could die happy right there in front of the TV if Kristi and Michelle would do it.

Berezhnaya and Sikharudlidze managed the epherimal "Mediatation" without compromising Anton's manliness. (Our heroine, Thais, is meditating about whether to become a nun or a prostitute.) But then again, in order to do it they had to beef up the music by shoehorning in some louder instrumentation over the solo violin.:no:

Cool topic. I hope someone responds who knows more about music than I do.

Mathman

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I don't consider this song a warhorse, but I can can hum it in my sleep, lol.

I would love to see Sasha skate to the "Flower Duet". I LOVE this piece! :love:

hongligl

Final Flight
bdreampixie said:

I'd also love to see Kwan do Meditation. Jeffrey Buttle do Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev.

I can't imagine Kwan doing Meditation. The only person that might be able to handle it after B/S is Weir IMO.

gezando

Final Flight
I was wondering why no one ever tried Chopin?

Fumie won world bronze in 03 skating to Chopin's second PC for her sp. Ruh has done an amazing job in skating to Chopin's PC #1 as an exhibition program. Lucindah is not a great jumper, but the best spinner ever. I believe COP experts may agree her Chopin PC #1 if scored under COP is probably worth a world medal. AP won a jr world gold with a Chopin etude as sp. Kristi skated to fantasia impromptu as an exhibition program, and lovely Sarah Hughes skated to fantasia impromptu in her 1999 sp. I guess all of the above are more feminine music choices as mentioned by Mathman. I imagine many male skaters have tried Chopin's military polonaise, and that will be classified by Mathman as the masculine music
It would take a very special skater to do these Chopin pieces, imo.

True. Unlike choosing oh yawn Tchaikovsky. Since Tchaikovsky had a gift of melody second only to Mozart, his music is easily accessible to the mass / general public, so skaters who are not motivated to push the artistic envelop of music interpretation will probably choose Tchaikovsky year after year. Skating to Chopin OTOH probably requires a skater to do some soul searching and homework.

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
CzarinaAnya said:
I would love to see Sasha skate to the "Flower Duet". I LOVE this piece! :love:

Interesting the flower duet is one of the most overused piece of music among the car dealership commercials.

Last edited:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Eeyora said:
I also would like to see Michelle akste to Samson and Delilah

Actually, Frank and Lori suggested Samson et Dalilah to her in 1996, but she didn't like it...she preferred Salome that year!

I want someone...anyone...to skate to Gliere's Harp Concerto. I think Lucinda Ruh did a good job with it, but I'd like to see it again!