Yagudin's Interest in Flying Lessons | Golden Skate

Yagudin's Interest in Flying Lessons

Blue Bead

Medalist
Great article! Thanks for the link, Skatehappy, and thanks to Kathleen for writing it. The pictures are super.

I guess flying through the air over the ice in a silk cloth wasn't enough for Alexei, now if he takes flying lessons he's really going to have his head in the clouds. :p :laugh:

icenine

Rinkside
My dad was an Air Force pilot, killed in action in a Skymaster Cessna. Twenty years experience. So, I can safely say that I could cheerfully vomit just thinking about Yagudin piloting any single engine aircraft. Even with a parachute. Scratch that, especially with a parachute, since it provides such a feeling of false security. Couldn’t he just stay on the ground and play with matches? Run amok through the house with sharp pair of scissors? Have a staring contest with the sun? Dry his hair in the microwave? Poke a bear with a pointy stick? Chew on tin foil and rub his head with a cheesegrater?
Did it just HAVE to be a single engine aircraft?

bloozywoozy

Rinkside
I'm really sorry to hear about your dad icenine. :(

But for me, personally, life is too short. I would rather die being adventurous and doing what I love, than to be safe on the ground hiding under the bed in fear that "something" will happen to me "sometime".

The feeling of flying has got to be one of the most incredible amazing experiences, and I say he should go for it , do what his heart desires! :agree:

Skatehappy

Rinkside
Icenine, I am so sorry that you lost your Dad the way you did.

As for Alexei, he is a risk taker. It is what took him from Russia to the U.S. to work with TT. He continues to challenge himself with these new endeavors. Let's hope he has good instructors, and good luck.

icenine

Rinkside
Sorry, folks. Bit of an overreaction. My grandmother (Dad's mom) died this week, and although she was quite elderly and it wasn't unexpected, it brought back a lot of memories of him for all of us. He was a phenomenal person. Thanks for the kind words.
As far as Yagudin goes, you could pretty much tell me he's planning a trip to Mt Rushmore to bungee jump out of Lincoln's left nostril, and I wouldn't bat an eye. In fact, I would actually pay to see that. His focus, reaction time, instincts and intelligence are all characteristics of a fine pilot. I just tend to react to the phrase "single engine aircraft" the way other people react to the words "Boo!" or "Surprise! You're about to be audited!", even on a good day.
And just for the record, I've been in more than one Cessna in my life. It is way, way too much fun. Oddly enough, my fear does not extend to my own safety. It's just when other people do it....

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Icenine, I am so sorry for your losses. It doesn't matter how young or old they are, you still miss them so very much. My prayers are with you.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Icenine, just wanted to say I too am saddened by your loss. Like you I understand the special pain of losing a parent when you're young, as for me my father died my first week of Kindegarten when I was five years old. That made death seem real apparent, for too long a time. But he didn't die in an accident, he passed away still a young man because of a doctor's misdiagnosis.

That said, flying anything can be dangerous - anything can be dangerous - but driving down the highway is much more risky - literally you could fill jetliner after jetliner with how many people lose their lives on US highways in just months - maybe weeks.

There's a famous saying that aviation - like the sea - is very unforgiving of any carelessness, recklessness, or neglect. Quite true. Of course as a pilot I'm biased and am here to say that learning to fly was one of the single greatest experiences of my life - it's nothing less than a spiritual moment the first time you go airborne all by your lonesome. Aviation is an exciting and dynamic field. The airplane Alexei is going to fly now competes as the number one single-engine airplane in the world. It's not an experimental plane, it's not an ultralight. It's basically the Lexus version of small planes, and with it comes some of the most unique safety devices ever such as a whole-airframe parachute, in addition to many other features.

The bottom line, to quote FlightSafety International...'the best safety device in any aircraft is a well-trained pilot.' Alexei's a sharp guy, with quick reflexes and a good mind - and it's fascinating that he's never content to just 'be content' with all that he has accomplished - he's always looking to do more, try more, explore more. Isn't that what life is all about? A boat is always safer if it never leaves the harbor...but that's not really what boats are for.

Last edited:

bloozywoozy

Rinkside
I am sorry to hear about your dad too Zanzibar.

While we are all concerned for Alexei's health and safety, I think too many ppl are underestimating him. He is an incredibly intelligent man, and sure, he may love to push the envelope, but he's not stupid! I believe he will be one of their best students!

Alexei knows how many ppl love him, and would be devastated if something happened to him. He does not have a "death wish" ( more like a "live life" wish) and he would not take unneccessary risks. Ppl can be killed walking, driving, boating , mountain climbing, and yes, flying, but that doesn't mean we should crawl under our beds and fear excitement and adventure.

Skatehappy

Rinkside
Some folks who are concerned about Alexei flying aren't worried about his reflexes, intelligence, or motivation, but his judgment. He has shown some poor judgment in the past--is he any wiser for it? Piloting an aircraft leaves only so much room for error.

We can get very philosophical. Is life about doing more, trying more, and exploring more? More, more, more experiences......? :unsure:

At any rate, it is great that Alexei has the option to pick and choose. He said that at one time in early life his ambition was to drive a truck, so he's come a long way. :biggrin:

icenine

Rinkside
Thanks, Grgranny... you’re a sweetie.
Kathleen, I’m sure you know your Dad would be very proud of you. I’ve enjoyed your many articles and photography, and am thoroughly impressed by the intrepid reporter that you are. Thanks for the additional info on the plane. Good to know it is state of the art, and not constructed from balsa wood and duct tape.
I know Alexei is whip-smart, and I truly have no apprehensions about his abilities or judgement. Please understand, my meltdown was coming from a week that was rich in drama and poor in sleep. I had no business posting under those circumstances.
In skating related matters, of course, I reserve the right at all times to be completely unreasonable.

Kelly22

Rinkside
Zanzibar said:
A boat is always safer if it never leaves the harbor...but that's really not what boats are for.

Thanks for the review of Cirrus planes, Kathleen, it sounds like the best plane he could start with. I hope he never gets the experimental plane bug (remember John Denver and the recent Wal-Mart heir)? And who could ever forget JFK,Jr.? I understand that people want to fly - my dad and brother were both small plane pilots (Cessna's). He will have excellent training...just hope he understands that he is not invincible.

curious

Final Flight
Skatehappy said:
Some folks who are concerned about Alexei flying aren't worried about his reflexes, intelligence, or motivation, but his judgment. He has shown some poor judgment in the past--is he any wiser for it? Piloting an aircraft leaves only so much room for error.

We can get very philosophical. Is life about doing more, trying more, and exploring more? More, more, more experiences......? :unsure:

At any rate, it is great that Alexei has the option to pick and choose. He said that at one time in early life his ambition was to drive a truck, so he's come a long way. :biggrin:

He is a guy with too much energy and time on his hands. He always does whatever he wants as we can see. I don't expect him to change in the near future if ever:biggrin:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
icenine said:
Couldn’t he just stay on the ground and play with matches? Run amok through the house with sharp pair of scissors? Have a staring contest with the sun? Dry his hair in the microwave? Poke a bear with a pointy stick? Chew on tin foil and rub his head with a cheesegrater?
Did it just HAVE to be a single engine aircraft?
Icenine, thanks for the laugh. I could imagine Alexei doing this things, especially the cheesegrater on the head or staring at the sun. :laugh: :laugh:

You have a wonderful sense of humor, thanks for sharing it with us. :rofl: :rofl:

Dee

bloozywoozy

Rinkside
curious said:
He is a guy with too much energy and time on his hands. He always does whatever he wants as we can see. I don't expect him to change in the near future if ever:biggrin:

You're right, now that he finally has the time, he's got the energy to pursue some adventure, lol. And as far as "changing in the near future", why should he?? There's no rule about how much fun we "should" or "shoudn't have" in life. *singing
" It's my life ,it's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just want to live while I'm alive
'Cause it's my life " :agree:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
QUOTE from Icenine:

"Thanks for the additional info on the plane. Good to know it is state of the art, and not constructed from balsa wood and duct tape."

Hey - and thank you for the well thought-out posts and to everbody who has contributed to this interesting discussion!

Of course it's great to see that people are concerned about Alexei's welfare. Even though I absolutely loved his aerial "Passion" routine this past season, I was dead-set against him performing it due to the risk of an equipment failure in particular. Luckily - and of course due to his considerable talent and skill - he performed it flawlessly city after city, night after night, without incident. So, I guess it just goes to show different folks tastes as to what is an acceptable risk, and what is not. For me, "Passion" was an unacceptable risk because there was simply no back-up: no hidden cable, no invisible cushion on the ice beneath, no harness...no nothing.

In retrospect am I glad he went through with the airborne routine? Hard to answer. I loved it - it was an aerial work of art. But on the other hand, I couldn't have been more relieved the last night the tour was over.

Acceptable risk is what it's all about. Flying for the most part is only as dangerous as the pilot at the controls. There are the relatively rare accidents attributable to catastrophic mechanical failure, but for the most it's human error, with bad weather as a frequent contributing cause.

Can't really comment too much specifically on the CIRRUS aircraft because I now work for this company in addition to other jobs. But I can say that it is a revolutionary airplane, designed and built by some of the most amazing people you'd ever want to meet. As the first company in the world to make a full-airplane parachute a piece of standard equipment - well, that tells me it's a company very dedicated to safety. Does it work?

Ask Ilan Reich. Last week he suffered a loss of consciousness while flying near New York and passed out. When he came to he was in a high-speed dive, uncertain of what had happnened and uncertain of if he would again lose consciousness and crash. He pulled the 'chute. And survived. Even after 'landing' in water. I had the pleasure of speaking with him this morning. Turns out he had an undiagnosed brain tumor that led to a seizure - not completely dissimilar to perhaps what Scott Hamilton suffered from.

And hey - anyone who has ever driven with a Russian (not to generalize of course, LOL) knows that being on the road is where their risk lies!!!!!!!!

Anyhoo.....photos to come soon - hopefully a few up tomorrow!!!

Last edited:

Julie O

Rinkside
Hi Everyone, this is my first post here. I wanted to find a good discussion of Alexei's flying lessons, because he inspires such a range of strong emotions in us, his fans. And I here I am via some intriguing threads and links in Katya's BJDG!
Now, last fall when I saw him in Lake Placid performing on his cocoon, he already seemed to be completely competent on it, and even though my heart was in my mouth the whole time, I was never actually fearful for him.
I admire the way he approached that new challenge. 1.Got the best professional instruction and advice. 2.Prepared the best possible equipment. 3. Practiced, putting every single move into muscle memory. 4. Enjoyed every moment of the use of his own skills, flexibility, strength, and senses of drama and rhythm. 5. Gave to us some thrilling moments we will never forget!

No reason that most of that isn't exactly how Alexei's approaching this dream-come-true of his. I am so happy for him I could burst, and I hope he can let any negativity out there just disappear.....and not let anything taint his wonderful experiences.

Julie

icenine

Rinkside
And yet, “Passion” didn’t concern me much at all, dangerwise. Go figure. It’s just whatever happens to push your particular panic button, I s’pose. I know he is a very calculated risk-taker, and beyond some question about the silks (What is the tensile strength of worm silk as opposed to synthetic silk, anyway? I have a truly geek-like fascination with minutiae such as this), and the guy controlling the other end of the sling, I was all for it. The day after SOI, I had five neat little bruises on my arm where my niece had me in a death grip during the acrobatics. Apparently, she shared your concern. But... what a great program.

Last word on the flying... at least no one will be shooting at his engine or his fuselage. I try at all times to look on the bright side.

Let’s drink a toast to the calculated risk-takers of the world, in the here and now and in the hereafter... they sometimes make our lives hard, but they make our lives interesting.

...And Dee, I was perfectly serious. :)