Hurricane Dennis | Golden Skate

Hurricane Dennis

Figureskates

On the Ice
Latest Hurricane Dennis info...I forgot I had posted hurricane stuff here last season. Been busy the last few nites so the brain is not functioning too well.

Hurricane Dennis is now a cat 4 hurricane with winds near 150 mph. Dennis will loose some of it's punch over Cuba tonite before re-emerging out into the Gulf on Saturday. Ground zero looks to be the western Florida panhandle sometime later in the day on Sunday. It could be a cat 4 by the time it makes landfall. It looks to be like Ivan all over again with the same devastating results. It will tear up the oil platforms as well so oil will go through the roof...some pundits are talking it rising to near $70 a barrel which would put gas at around $3.50 a gallon...let's not talk about home heating oil!!

Some interesting statistics. Dennis is the first Cat 4 this early. He will be the first name to be retired from a July hurricane.

Some of my own thoughts. If the Gulf can sustain a 140 mph hurricane this early with temperatures in the low 80s, this means potentially in late August with water temps in the high 80s, we will be looking at another Camille with sustained winds of 180 mph with gusts to 205 mph. Such a storm, moving into the Mississippi Delta, just west of New Orleans would totally devastate that city with a 25-30 foot storm surge (Picture the tidal surge in the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" that hit NYC...not that big of course, but the right idea). This is one disaster that keeps the folks at the National Hurricane Center awake at nights..I have talked to them and this one makes them shutter.

Will it happen? Some day. Will it happen this summer? A reasonable chance since all the storms this season so far have been Gulf storms. This maybe the season of Gulf storms.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
just heard that it could go to a cat. 4 eventually... or soon tomorrow when it hits us... i live right on the gulf coast area and i'm staying in my townhome. it's going to be quite a mess tomorrow... hope it's not too devastating.. :frown2: