Jennifer Kirk announces free skate music | Golden Skate

Jennifer Kirk announces free skate music

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think Moulin Rouge is a good choice for Jenny. She did so great with the Chicago number - hopefully she'll shine the same way here. She really has her work cut out for her, though, to keep her spot on the US team.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Very true Ptichka. She is going to have a tough time with challenges coming from all directions, like Kimmie Meissner, and Bebe.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info...

Sounds like she's really preparing for what's to come, though. Methinks she's still got some fight left in her. She really does have a legitimate shot at making the Olympic team, so I expect her to make the most of it. :agree:

ITA Ptichka - I do wish her the best but her work is cut out or her. She has 3 teens breathing down her back for that 3rd place on the team. It's a toss up who will get the spot: Jenny? Kimmie? Emile? or Bebe? all of whom are waiting for Cohen and Kwan to make enough points in the Olys so that 3 gals can go to Calgary.

There's more to this Olys than Cohen and Kwan.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:
ITA Ptichka - I do wish her the best but her work is cut out or her. She has 3 teens breathing down her back for that 3rd place on the team. It's a toss up who will get the spot: Jenny? Kimmie? Emile? or Bebe? all of whom are waiting for Cohen and Kwan to make enough points in the Olys so that 3 gals can go to Calgary.

Joe

I thought that the results from Moscow dictated the number of US ladies at both Olys and Worlds. Is this incorrect?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought they did, too.

I THINK...I don't know this for sure but I think:

Since Kwan and Cohen placed 4th and 2nd, the U.S. can send three ladies to Torino

The placements at the Olympics won't have an effect on who can send how many, but the upcoming 2006 Worlds in Canada (forgot where) will.

And, I think the same people who got to go to the Olympics get to go to Worlds as well. It's just that in 98 and 02 an American has happened to win gold and pulled out of the upcoming world championships.

Am I correct in saying this?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog -- what you have said is pretty much my understanding also. Moscow determined that three ladies go to Torino and Calgary, and, Calgary determines how many US ladies get to go to Worlds in 2007 -- and usually the same people are named on the World team as to the Oly team. this is not an absolute, though. For example, B & A are not eligible for Olys due to her citizenship, but her citizenship is not a problem for Worlds as the citizenship requirement is imposed by the IOC, not the ISU. So, B & A will be named to the World team, even if they can't go to Olys.

R.D.

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Red Dog -- what you have said is pretty much my understanding also. Moscow determined that three ladies go to Torino and Calgary, and, Calgary determines how many US ladies get to go to Worlds in 2007 -- and usually the same people are named on the World team as to the Oly team. this is not an absolute, though. For example, B & A are not eligible for Olys due to her citizenship, but her citizenship is not a problem for Worlds as the citizenship requirement is imposed by the IOC, not the ISU. So, B & A will be named to the World team, even if they can't go to Olys.

Ah...so does this mean that (assuming B and A win Nats in 06) the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place teams will get to go to the Olys, while the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams get to go to the World Championships?

I'm glad to see that Jenny has her web site back up. (Thanks, Webmaster.) I didn't know that Jennifer Don was her best friend in skating. Nice that they will be sharing an apartment.

I still think that the third spot is Jenny's to win or lose. And I think that she would represent the U.S. the best at Turino. But USFS may feel like she hasn't made the most of her opportunities in international competition the last couple of years and they may be looking toward the future and pushing the youngsters.

Jenny used to have a reliable triple-toe/triple toe. I think she'll need it this year. If she hits all of her jumps, I think she is still way ahead of her rivals in presentation.

OK, now...What look is she going for in this picture from her web site?

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/jenniferkirk/graphics02/02.jpg

Mathman

emma

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I'm glad to see that Jenny has her web site back up. (Thanks, Webmaster.) I didn't know that Jennifer Don was her best friend in skating. Nice that they will be sharing an apartment.

I still think that the third spot is Jenny's to win or lose. And I think that she would represent the U.S. the best at Turino. But USFS may feel like she hasn't made the most of her opportunities in international competition the last couple of years and they may be looking toward the future and pushing the youngsters.

Jenny used to have a reliable triple-toe/triple toe. I think she'll need it this year. If she hits all of her jumps, I think she is still way ahead of her rivals in presentation.

OK, now...What look is she going for in this picture from her web site?

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/jenniferkirk/graphics02/02.jpg

Mathman

ITA MM...to answer your question about the look, how about...SCARY!?!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Talking about Calgary brings up an interesting point. If Sasha and/or Michelle skip on it, then it opens up 1 or 2 more spots for American ladies at Worlds.

heyang

Record Breaker
I think you generally got it right about how the Oly and World teams are selected. It's the norm, but there are exceptions. I think the rule is that the winner is guaranteed a spot on the team, barring qualification issues (i.e. age and/or citizenship requirements.) and medical byes (Nancy being sent instead of Michelle in 1994). The remaining positions are at the discrimination of the USFSA, but they typically choose the 2nd and 3rd placers.

In 1992, Paul Wylie deferred his position on the World team to Mark Mitchell after Todd Eldridge was given a medical bypass for the Oly team. I can't remember, but did Todd go to World's that year after Oly's?

I believe after Nats where Todd placed 4th, the deal was Todd to the Olys and Mark to the Worlds. Neither did well. Paul went to both, I think. Please correct.

I can't remember who got the US 3 places for the Olys in the previous Worlds.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

Don't forget Yebin Mok. That made it four. Is Yebin Mok still with Frank? How about Yebin's US sitizenship?

emma

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
Talking about Calgary brings up an interesting point. If Sasha and/or Michelle skip on it, then it opens up 1 or 2 more spots for American ladies at Worlds.

Am I dreaming, or does anyone remember Kwan saying in an interview last year (last Fall) that she would like to skate until 2007? I remember thinking at the time, COOL, she wants to do olympics and one more year, then wondering...oh does that mean through 2006 but not nationals/wordls 2007??? Anyway, I really could be dreaming, but I bring this up here just as a "maybe Kwan won't skip worlds."

shine

Record Breaker
I thought Ye Bin Mok retired?? I would love to see her skate again. And I hope all of Liang (who SHOULD have last year by all means), and Meissner (who already did), and Hughes (who probably should have, too) all place above Kirk like are destined to. It's time they got someone new on the US team.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
emma said:
Am I dreaming, or does anyone remember Kwan saying in an interview last year (last Fall) that she would like to skate until 2007? I remember thinking at the time, COOL, she wants to do olympics and one more year, then wondering...oh does that mean through 2006 but not nationals/wordls 2007??? Anyway, I really could be dreaming, but I bring this up here just as a "maybe Kwan won't skip worlds."

What I remember is reading that Kwan said that, depending on what happened in Moscow and Torino, she might stay until 2007. I interpreted this to mean that if she continued medaling, she would stick around and try to break Henie's record.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Ahhh...Moulin Rouge is PERFECT! I loved her Chicago number and thought she had a lot of sass...

t's been a while since I've heard the soundtrack, so I can't remember if this song is an upbeat one...hope it is...

She could be AWESOME at it....hope she has lots of sassyness in it. I look forward to the costume.

I am surprised though, that more people have not skated to this music or from this soundtrack...maybe they have and I've not heard it..hmmmm

darby

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I believe after Nats where Todd placed 4th, the deal was Todd to the Olys and Mark to the Worlds. Neither did well. Paul went to both, I think. Please correct.

I can't remember who got the US 3 places for the Olys in the previous Worlds.

Joe

In 1992, Wylie placed 2nd at the Olympics, Bowman was 4th & Eldredge was 10th.
At '92 Worlds:Bowman was 4th, Mark Mitchell was 5th, & Eldredge was 7th. I don't consider placing 5th & 7th at Worlds so bad.
In '91 the US men who secured the 3 spots for '92 Olympics & Worlds were:
3-Eldredge, 5th-Bowman & 11th-Wylie.