Skate America article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate America article

That's an interesting theory about 1994, Attyfan. But I don't know. If there had been no "Incident," Nancy and Tonya would have won first and second and gone to the Olys, and Michelle would have been the alternate in the unlikely event of one of those two dropping out. Which is just what happened anyway. Michelle's problem was not the Tonya-Nancy goings on, but rather the fact that the American team had qualified only two women at the previous worlds.

MM :)

Hi, Red Dog. IMHO Michelle will feel the same amount of internal pressure whether she goes in as the favorite or the underdog. My point was, everything else being equal, the judges will give it to the person who has excelled throughout the season (like Irina at Europeans).

attyfan said:
IMO, I think that Nats '06 will be quite different from Nats '05, as it is both under CoP and a qualifier for Olys. I have always thought that what happened to Kwan in '94 would have been too traumatic not to have an effect -- and I think the effect of '94 is to make her extra driven to win at Nats, especially at Oly qualifiers. So far, her competitors have been unable to meet this extra drive. However, this Nats will be judged under the CoP, so Sasha might be able to pull it off -- but with Michelle's extra drive, I'm somewhat doubtful.
It will indeed be interesting. I want to see how the scores turn out under the CoP with all those American judges! If they are favoring MK, it will show.

Also, for once I agree with Red Dog who insists there is pressure for MK (and no body else) to win despite the fact that there is only one realistic place open for the Olys.

MK may very well want to set a new record on the most Nats wins so there could be some pressure there. Red Dog will you still be around if MK does win the Nats and have to admit that some people are better under pressure than others? :laugh:

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:
That's an interesting theory about 1994, Attyfan. But I don't know. If there had been no "Incident," Nancy and Tonya would have won first and second and gone to the Olys, and Michelle would have been the alternate in the unlikely event of one of those two dropping out. Which is just what happened anyway. Michelle's problem was not the Tonya-Nancy goings on, but rather the fact that the American team had qualified only two women at the previous worlds.

I don't think the problem was only having two places (so Michelle, Tonya and Nancy could all go) or even being named alternate so Nancy could go. I think the traumatic part would have started when the police seriously started investigating Tonya, but there wasn't enough evidence to kick her off before Olys -- only to haveTonya plead guilty just before Worlds (leaving 13 year old Michelle with the responsiblity of securing places for US ladies for the next year). It is one thing for skaters not to get named to World or Olys because a "bigger name" needed a bye due to illness injury; it is another thing not to get named to Olys because there isn't enough evidence to kick off someone who is later revealed as a felon. I can't help thinking that Michelle must have felt robbed -- and that the way to avoid getting robbed is to win Nats.

R.D.

Record Breaker
However, this Nats will be judged under the CoP, so Sasha might be able to pull it off -- but with Michelle's extra drive, I'm somewhat doubtful.

Same here. I mean, I'd be shocked if Kwan doesn't win this one.

Michelle will feel the same amount of internal pressure whether she goes in as the favorite or the underdog. My point was, everything else being equal, the judges will give it to the person who has excelled throughout the season (like Irina at Europeans).

I see your point, and you may very well be right. What I'm referring to here is the external pressure that will be placed on her through the press, the fans, etc. if she manages to prove everybody wrong that she is over (I mean, her best days are behind her).

Also, for once I agree with Red Dog who insists there is pressure for MK (and no body else) to win despite the fact that there is only one realistic place open for the Olys.

Hey, I didn't say nobody else. I was referring specifically to MK. Of course others will be feeling the pressure, too...perhaps even more so than Kwan.

Red Dog will you still be around if MK does win the Nats and have to admit that some people are better under pressure than others?

Who said I wouldn't? ;)

Red Dog -I'm just pulling your leg. I hope you know that. But my comment that some people do better under pressure is basically, a sound pyschological tenet. I think MK falls into that category. She uses the pressure to her advantage. After 12 years at the senior level and with all those medals including Olympic Medals, she manages quite well. I'm somewhat nervous that being an underdog MK will not get the fire she gets when she's in pressure at the top.

Joe

Last edited:

Katya

Rinkside
We still have a few weeks before the deadline of August 15th. I do hope that Michelle will compete!