Olys: Will USA medal at all? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olys: Will USA medal at all?

Ptichka said:
Joe, while I certainly believe that Del&Sch have virtually no chance to medal, I wouldn't be so certain about Den&Sta. Especially now since they've changed coaches.
Ptichka -The basis for the rumor going around the arena was to undermine the two D&Ss so that N&K could win the Olys without any real competition. Just about everyone within ear shot could not understand the Ukrainian bronze when the two D&Ss were so much better. I'm not an expert in this discipline so I am just reporting a rumor although I do prefer the two D&Ss. I suppose if B&A do not skate one of the D&Ss will be on the podium unless that Lithuanian team may get a pay back medal.

Ohhhhh, Dance is so unreal. :eek:hwell:

Joe

nicole_l

Final Flight
I think the chances of no medals at all are slim, especially for the ladies. If Michelle Kwan stands up, she will medal. If Sasha Cohen stands up, she might win. I also think that the chances of Sandhu making it are slim. He's awesome but so inconsistent! Lysacek has a definite advantage going in as a reigning medalist of making the top 5 or 6, but we'll have to see.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joe, I do understand what you're saying. However, this year Den & Sta had an exceptionally bad FS. Also, by Worlds they got discouraged enough to deliver a rather flat performance (not that I believe they should have been marked behind GrushGons). While I agree they're unlikely to win, I think it's like TT says - if you're head and shoulders above the rest, they can't help but give you the marks. With Linichuk, Den & Sta have a shot at being head and shoulders above the rest.

Del & Scho are a different question. I think this season they were still largely hurt by the judges pre-judging them out of medal contention. Bad judging, perhaps, but not so much of judge collusion. With the exception of an excellent 2000 season, this team has been climbing the ratings every year. I fully expect this trend to continue into next season.

Kasey

Medalist
I would think the U.S. has decent chances to get both one (or more) of the men and one (again, or more) of the ladies into the top 5. I think the odds of a medal in either of those disciplines for the U.S is fairly good. Both? Maybe. But I really do not think the U.S. will leave the Olympics empty-handed in figure skating medals. Just doesn't strike me as likely.

Oh, and Emily Hughes a better chance to medal than either Kwan or Cohen?? MAYBEEEE.....but.... :rofl:

They girl is just out of juniors for crying out loud!

Last edited:
Ptichka - I can't agree that Den&Sta had a bad dance. I believe the routine was misunderstood. It was much more difficult than Tosca was, and watching it in Moscow, even I was surprised how good they skated.

N&T are a typical 'russian' team. Everything is in place, and nicely skated a la russe. Den&Sta, despite their backgrounds, are not typically Russian. They are, imo, an original couple dancing on the ice. That is their forte - originality - and they happen to be very good technicians. Hopefully, they are looked at better in the Olys.

The Americans, imo, were trying to be Russian and they lost me. They have good technique but with those wild gyrations (audience appeal) which are not difficult, I prefer looking at the Kerrs.

Del&Sho, I believe you are correct. They will be next season's top team. they have that French je ne sais quoi sinuous body movements. Very entertaining for me to watch.

Joe

Last edited:

waxel

Final Flight
Sorry- just can't get on the Emily bandwagon. I see her as a skater with potential- maybe with a little age, maturity, body-imaging (nicest way I can think to put it) and grooming she'll be a podium contender. I like Bebe best of the young-un's.

I tend to agree with dancindiva03 that Jenny may have worn out her welcome. Everyone has been pulling for her for so long- but she never really seems to rise to the challenge.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree about Jenny, sadly. :frown:

I thought she showed her best stuff at SA '03, where she skated two marvelous programs. Unfortunately, she never seemed to build on that, as I had hoped she would.
Don't get me wrong, NOTHING would make me happier than to see her come out on fire this season ... I just don't see that as likely though.

vixen62025

Rinkside
Until we have seen some of the top contender's programs, I think it will be difficult to guess who will even make the team, let alone the podium. The wily veterans (Kwan, Cohen, Weir, Weiss, Goebel) will have as much pressure as the hungry youngsters (Meissner, Hughes, Liang, Taylor, Lysacek, Smith, Rogers, Brauninger) to even make the team. If the youngsters get great results in their GPS, or JGPS, it should give them some confidence going into nationals.

My best guess puts at least one man and one lady on the podium in those disciplines. I don't think Tanith is going to get her citizenship in time, so the U.S. will be lucky to get a top ten finish in dance. In pairs, Inoue and Baldwin (if Rena's citizenship goes through as planned) may also squeak into the top ten.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I expect either Michelle and/or Sasha on the podium somewhere. I also believe Lysceck and Weir have a shot as well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would definetely expect Sasha to medal. From men either Weir or Lysacek.

CDMM1991

Medalist
My predictions:

LADIES:

The US will get two medals, but not the ones they wanted. Michelle will be second, Sasha will be third, and either Irina (the favorite) or Carolina (the favorite "Dark horse"/ Hometown girl) will win.

MEN:

Barring injury Johnny Weir will come second, not sure about first and third yet. If Johnny is injured, Evan will pull out another third.

PAIRS:

It's fairly simple, a medal isn't in the cards, and I see Inoue and Baldwin having the best chance at making it to top 10. Orscher and Lucash, if they make the team, will fall apart.

DANCE:

If Tanith gets her citizenship they will come second again. If she doesn't the US just won't get a medal in ice dance. The second place US ice dance team, will maybe scratch into top 10 with their best skates.

There you go. JMO. could have about as much merit to it as saying I'm going to medal at the 2006 Olympic.

CDMM1991 said:
There you go. JMO. could have about as much merit to it as saying I'm going to medal at the 2006 Olympic.
But in reality, you're going for 2010, right? :)

chipso1

Rinkside
I fully expect the US to come away with at least 1 medal - 2 or 3 is very likely, though.

For the men, I believe that Weir and Lysacek should be right up there, and both could potentially medal if a few factors fall in place (Plushy's health, a possible Joubert meltdown, Lambiel's and Buttle's inconsistency). However, all these aren't likely to happen, I give the edge to Weir to medal (because of his CoP adaptability), even though I prefer Lysacek.

For the ladies, I won't count out Michelle Kwan. With TAT in her camp and the obvious drive to win that she showed after her 4th place Worlds finish, I definately expect her to be a serious contender for GOLD! Let her be the underdog . . . . . :clap:

Cohen might also medal, providing that she doesn't make too many mistakes and is able to hold off challenges from Irina, Carolina, the Japanese, and the third American lady.

The most likely ladies podium (in no order): Michelle, Irina, Sasha

kyla2

Final Flight
Medals

Emily? Not a snow ball's chance in hell. She's very much behind the rest of the top 4-5 U.S. skaters. Michelle and Sasha both have a good chance to medal. All they need to do is stand up on the ice. Sasha may medal even if she doesn't stand up on the ice for the whole performance. But I believe this is Irina's to win or lose. For the men, Evan and Johnny.

It's still too early for predictions. I'm waiting to see if there is motivation for the Olys and not just a rehash of last season's programs. And at this point there is no excuse for not knowing what the CoP is all about.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
chuckm said:
The men's results at Worlds 2005 aren't a great indicator of who will medal at Torino. Plushenko withdrew due to injury, and not one of the medalwinners had a clean skate. Lambiel won gold with two quads but landed no 3A, 3Z or 3F. Buttle had no quad and fell on both 3A attempts. Lysacek had no quad, no solo 3A and no 3L. Weir was injured and didn't make the podium, edged out by Lysacek.

I think a healthy Weir can easily beat Lysacek, and has a good shot of beating Buttle, and a healthy Weir with a quad can challenge Lambiel.

I actualy agree with you for once. A healthy Plushenko seems pretty safe to win unless something drastic happens with one of the other contenders; eg-Lambiel gets much more consistent, Weir masters a couple of quads, Buttle has some kind of transformation in jumping and speed. The skate of Lambiel from Worlds would not challenge Plushenko, and the skates of Buttle and Lysacek would not challenge for any medal, at a reasonably skated Olympics.

If Weir has a quad by next year he and Lambiel would be the two leading contenders for the silver, the gold is only open probably if Plushenko has problems coming back from his injury. Joubert, Buttle, and even Lindemann if he comes back to form, are the next best medal hopes. Lysacek could sneak in for a low medal, in the unlikely event it was a real crash and burn event, and Sandhu could sneak in if for a low medal, in the very unlikely event he has one of those once-in-a-lifetime competition.

I love your take on the Men, Slutskayafan - You've given every conceivable top male skater a chance to win a medal even if it's a low one. :) Three of them will prove you right.

Joe

What about Li? He does have a quad, not a maybe-he'll-get-one, and he almost always delivers clean programs.

MM :)