A possible Lang and Tchernichev comeback? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

A possible Lang and Tchernichev comeback?

nicole_l

Final Flight
the return of Jaime Silverstein skating with the talented Ryan O'Meara
Yay! I'd also love to see L&T return (you can second the Petah :love: ), because there'd be competition for B&A. G&P are great but they're obviously second to B&A.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Also I wouldn't quite say that L&T have lost the support of USFS. Even after all the missed time USFS was ready to give them a spot at Skate America without having to compete at Lake Placid to earn the spot. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were able to bypass sectionals as well if they should return
I think you misread me a bit. I wasn't saying that L/T wouldn't have any support from the USFS, just that they wouldn'thave as much support. I wouldsee most of thier backing going to B/A. I think they would be supportive to L/T, but not at the expense of B/Aas they might havein thepast.

sorry aboutthe spacing...my space bar keeps sticking

Dyan

On the Ice
I see your point BravesSkateFan. And you do make a valid point. USFS is no different than the other federations as far as wanting to see results and B&A being world silver medalists speaks volumes.

Of course B&A (realizing they aren't everybody's cup of tea) IMHO also have loads of talent and they haven't even begun to peak in their abilities. That last sentence wasn't directed at you, I just wanted to throw in some B&A gushing. :biggrin:

When the Silverstein/O'Meara partnership was first announced I wouldn't allow myself to get too excited as Jaime had teamed up with Brandon Forsyth a couple of seasons ago and the two never made it to competition. They had gotten as far as having a Igor choreograph a FD to "Carmen" for them. I'd also read that Jaime had tried out with Danil Barantsev as well but that didn't work out. I'm hoping that Jaime is truly ready to get back into the swing of competition and that she and Ryan stick it out together.

icedancer2

Rinkside
I would be VERY happy to see them compete again, or, as one poster said -- they should get together to do some shows!!

Hey, SOI NEEDS an ice-dance team very badly! :love:

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
icedancer2 said:
I would be VERY happy to see them compete again, or, as one poster said -- they should get together to do some shows!!

Hey, SOI NEEDS an ice-dance team very badly! :love:

Peter and Naomi with SOI would be my dream come true. :love:

Nan

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I don’t know how to explain or verbalize this very well and I know there is some flawed logic in my argument, but here goes……..

I hate the be the only one to post this, but I guess I kind of take issue with skaters who have retired or whatever you call it these days, coming back just for an Olympics. While yes, the Olympics is about who skates the best on that day and you have to earn you spot, I just have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth for those skaters who completely stop skating competitively, then "come back" for the Olympics alone.

Part of me feels like it’s not fair. I don't know how else to verbalize it or explain it any better, I just don't like it. Perhaps I feel like winning a spot on the Olympic team or medal is a process...that takes years and years so when someone "retires" then comes back and goes to the Olympics, I'm not as supportive.

I also feel bad for the skaters who then have to compete against them (especially in the nationals) because if it were I, and someone came back after a retirement / hiatus and perhaps placed above me and earned a Olympic berth that I thought I had a good chance at, I’d be irritated/sad/angry. While yes, you have to earn your spot, something doesn’t sit right.

It's one thing to do what Kwan as done, strictly limit your competitions but still compete at Nationals and Words, but to do what the Italians and the other team and now perhaps L&T are considering, I just don't like it. Same with what I see in US ice dancing - a trend of teams pairing up just to try and get an Olympic spot because of some rare citizenship anomaly....Seems kind of desperate to me....but then again, if they earn their spot on the team, you can't begrudge them that.

In the end, I like to see a skater stick it out and compete the entire 4-year cycle and go to the Olympics, not "retire / hiatus" and come back for just one big event.

I know it doesn't make much sense...but that's my two cents worth. Flame away should you feel the need.

Darby

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
No need to apologize, Darby. You make some very good points and I agree with much of what you have to say. I think there are some valid reasons why some teams may sit out a season or two and then return to eligible competition, but for those who "retire" only to come back for just the Olympic season, it gives the feeling of "cutting" to the head of the line and can't sit well with those teams who have been steadily working toward this very important season.

Nan

Dyan

On the Ice
Though I'm happy about the prospect of seeing F/P&M and Silvia Fontana once more I can see where Darby is coming from.

It reminds me of what happened back in 1994 with all the reinstatements. At the time being a huge fan of T&D, G&G and Boitano I never thought of what effect the returns might have on the skaters who had been working all along for the past few seasons. Particularly in situations where a country might only have one spot open for the Olympics.

I recall reading that some of the teams such as Eltsova & Bushkov were not happy about the return of G&G. Also Marika Humpreys and her partner at the time lost their chance to skate in Lillehammer.

This would definitely have even more of an effect on icedancing where a younger team would have no chance to beat a more experienced and talented elite team. Kendra Goodwin & Chris Obzanksy stated in USFS's online article announcing their partnership that they want a shot at the Olympic team and if L&T return I don't think there is anyway G&O will beat them. It might even be more of an uncomfortable situation considering that Peter us working with them on their OD. Their chances of going to Turino would automatically diminish.

I will say that it seems Peter had never intended to retire; from all accounts if he had his way L&T (or Peter and someone else if he had been able to find a partner with no citizenship issues) would have continued on through the entire Olympic cycle.

I will also admit to being biased towards him and it would be nice if he could skate one last time before either doing shows with Naomi or continuing with his coaching and choreography. Despite the fact that a medal might be a long shot for L&T Peter certainly has/had his heart set on skating in Turino.

heyang

Record Breaker
It seems as though Naomi had wanted to retire or sit out a season due to burnout. Due to letter writing, she & Peter started training again, but then they withdrew from Nationals due to her cyst. Then she became pregnant. So, it's not quite the same as L&T wanting to come back just for Oly's.

Some of the other's are a bit different. I have a feeling that their federations may have asked them to come out of retirement since they don't have any likely medal contenders. FP&M fall into this category. I'm not sure what Silvia's thinking since she was never at the top, but at least she's not going for the only spot on the team.

Dyan

On the Ice
About Silvia;

In one of their issues published shortly after SLC, Silvia spoke about her intention to turn professional in IFS. She said she would have liked to continue competing but training costs were too much.

Maybe with her coaching and the exhibition shows she's been doing (including the past two Boitano holiday shows with PJZ) I'm thinking she now has enough money to pay for the expenses related with competing as an eligible.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I would love to see them come back again.
I think If they hadn't retired when they did that Naom's ankle would have become irrepairable. Even with cortizone injections, I think she was still feeling it.
Then, after retirement, life happened, and a few things needed to be thought and sorted out for them. Where would Peter go? Would he still skate? etc etc...

But if Naomi is up to it 100%, all around, I say, go for it. If not, I don't think it's worth wasting either of their time. Naomi also has an extra little person to worry about in this equation. But if she can manage both, that's great, too. :)

I think before the CoP, the judges were always undermarking them. The CoP could really give them a fresh start. :)

Last edited:

sk8m8

Final Flight
But if Naomi is up to it 100%, all around, I say, go for it. If not, I don't think it's worth wasting either of their time. Naomi also has an extra little person to worry about in this equation. But if she can manage both, that's great, too.

Amen, these two were really special and followed in a long line of under appreciated/undermarked dance teams. But I fear that was then and this is now.

Naomi has always spoken of "family" in that special, reverential way that people who treasure their families do. I might be wrong and be soundly proven so, however I think that Naomi's priorities are on her new family. She seems much more the type to enjoy her past accomplishments, and as long as she can be near or on the ice, she will have a very happy and complete life.

I feel somewhat sorry for Peter, though I think he is making the best of his new life as a coach and choreographer. I really believe that his female fan base will support him as a celebrity poster boy for hot skaters. He could easily make tons of money on modeling alone and still coach and choreograph.

I betcha both of them feel like, "hey we don't own a world or olympic medals, but all our mulitiple-consecutive nat golds aren't anything to sneeze at" I hope so, they made us all so proud and represented our country so well for a long time.

S

SkateFan4Life

I would not expect Naomi and Peter to make a comeback. They won five successive US titles, skated at Worlds and the Olympics, and represented the US with style and grace. It's unfortunate that they did not place higher than they did in international competitions. If they did come back, they would have a lot of ground to make up, and they would be up against the likes of Belbin & Agosto at Nationals, and a host of top-notch international talent.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
The deadline for entry to Lake Placid was June 15th, 2005. I wonder when the rumors began spreading?

I am seriously thinking of heading north! I was tempeted by D&V being entried, but the mid-week competition doesn't go well with my commitment to be at work :)

Need more vacation days!

Yana