Gold, Silver, Bronze - Anyone See this Skating Special? | Golden Skate

Gold, Silver, Bronze - Anyone See this Skating Special?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
As usual, I just tuned into the last five minutes of this Skating Special - Gold, Silver, Bronze. It was highlighting past Olympic champions. Looked good. Anyone catch it?

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
It's part of Comcast's 8's programming. And trust me, you didn't miss much. It's a poorly constructed hodge-podge of programs with no discernible theme. For example, there are at least 3 different programs from the Nutcracker show - one with Oksana, then the same one with Nicole Bobek, and a 3rd skater (I'm blanking). Why there are 3 performances - with the exact same selected piece of music - I don't know. There's not a single performance that hasn't been seen a million times in the past. I love watching skating, but this special made me realize the importance of a producer and editor. Truly a snooze.

And if you don't want to take my word for it, Comcast will air it again. This is at least the 6th showing in the last few months. My poor TIVO doesn't recognize that it keeps recording this same program over and over.

heyang

Record Breaker
I agree with Skate Sandee. This program was bad. A lot of footage from the Nutcracker with Oksana and Viktor. There were also clips of Nancy in Alice and Wonderland, Oksana G in something. There was a montage of Michelle's performance in China, but this was interrupted with clips of past medalists like Linda Fratianne, Brian, etc. None of the routines seeme whole.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks for the review! Glad I missed it then!!! It did look a little hodge-podge as someone put it.

Katya

Rinkside
This was on here on my local Fox station last weekend. The show starts with a brief interview with Pasha then cuts to Dorothy Hamil performing in Cinderella on Ice. Next they show Alexei’s Winter from Beverly Hills on Ice (the worlds smallest ice rink). Up next is Oksana, they show clips of her backstage and performing at Nutcracker on Ice. They move on to Nancy Kerrigan at Alice in Wonderland then to Viktor Petrenko performing with Oksana at Nutcracker on Ice. They talk a little more with Pasha then show Alexei doing Overcome at Beverly Hills. Let me just say it is good to know if I ever decide to turn my living room into an ice rink that Alexei could come and skate! :rofl:
There is a long piece with Michelle Kwan in China, practicing, performing and sight seeing. Then Pasha performing Nutcracker with Mike Aldred at Beverly Hills. The show ends with Gorsha and Sur from Beverly Hills. A video of the show can be ordered, the number to call is 1-800-975-1885.

Donna

Spectator
It does sound like a pretty boring show, but hey, Alexei's welcome in my livingroom anytime! :biggrin:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman,

If you had a chance to catch this and you don't have Hamill's Cinderella on Ice anywhere, it's worth recording. She's right at the beginning, and there's a longish excerpt. She flows and she has such beautiful edges.

The rest isn't that great, but it's amusing to see a montage of programs that were skated to other music originally shown with the Nutcracker pas de deux music in the background. In the "Dance in America" programs on Balanchine, the opening and closing credits rolled with excerpts from each of the ballets shown to the music of one. It was remarkable how the producers managed to find excerpts from different types of ballets set to completely different music that fit together seemlessly, like Stravinsky Violin Concerto and Emeralds, set to orchestral music by Faure.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't happen to catch the specific one you're talking about but did catch one similar to it. It included Lucinda Ruh, and Lu Chen along with Pasha and Alexei doing both numbers of Winter and Overcome. I agree for Alexei to choreograph those numbers for that show and to fit in that small rink is exceptional. Now, I am thinking that whoever is doing these shows is taking clips from several shows and putting it together.

Dee

S

SkateFan4Life

Whew - I'm glad I missed that skating special. Oh well, sometimes even figure skating can be boring. :rofl:

Linny

Final Flight
Cn8

Methinks they were the bits and pieces of performances that CN8 didn't have a pay a bundle for the rights to air. I think Pasha had some part in producing the Beverly Hills thang so maybe she sold it for a dime. Don't know for sure. At any rate, as crappy as it was, it shows support for airing figure skating in a time when other stations are pulling back. What the heck, they even aired Liberty! Now, I'm emailing them with pleas to air Lake Placid Ice Dance Championship.
Linny