Campbell's event announced officially | Golden Skate

Campbell's event announced officially

Yay! :clap: In terms of the cash purse, this (along with the Marshall's Challenges) is the biggest figure skating event of the season. Prime time network TV! I can't wait!

This is just one week after the Japan Invitational. Irina, Shizuka, Fumie, Miki and Mao Asada are all scheduled for that one. I wonder if any of them will try for two weeks in a row. In case Irina doesn't want to come, I wonder who is next on the list of "international" stars to invite.

Anyway, with Michelle against Sasha and Johnnie Weir against Evan Lysacek, that will be a good show right there.

I wonder if Tim Goebel was invited. Plushenko usually does these, and he has been reported fully recovered from his injuries and operations.

Mathman

JunJohn21

Rinkside
I have a feeling, if asked, Plushenko will do the Japan cheesefest because it's closer to Russia.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I heard that Plushy might be skipping the GP this year (he can do it, because his withdrawal from Worlds means he is not a seeded skater this year) I hope, though, that he won't do cheesefests. He needs to "take it easy" so his body won't call a strike at Olys, the way it did at Worlds.

The Japanese event, followed by the St. Paul's event, followed by Atlantic City?

Does anyone really believe any skater will do all three before they go to St.John's? Everthing is in October.

I see Kwan and Cohen dropping out of Atlantic City, giving Kimmie a blast of publicity for AC and an invitation to Campbells. If Campbells is going to be international, do you think Carolina will get an invitation? Will the money attract Stephane? Will Campbells keep the 6.0 system alive? If the international skaters decline the invitation, there is no need to get international judges.

Without Kwan and Cohen for AC, there is the possibility they will go to China and France, respectfully. Hopefully, at least one so to test the CoP.

The CoP will be at US Nats but it will be an all American judging.

Are we headed for a 2005Revisited in 2006?

Joe

Last edited:

JunJohn21

Rinkside
Actually, all the cheesefests this year are using COP. I highly doubt any skater would do all three of those competitions in one month, but ya never know. Kimmie already has two GP events, France & Japan so she can't go to AC. If Kwan and Cohen opt not to compete at AC, I think Emily Hughes could replace them because she only has one GP event, Russia.

chipso1

Rinkside
Campbell's will be using the Code of Points judging system - it states so in the article.

I doubt Michelle will drop out of the GP's this year. Hopefully she won't do the winter cheesefest, however, as it is placed just at a bad time.

Michelle's probable schedule:

Campbell's Classic - Minnesota, Oct. 8th
Skate America - Atlantic City, Oct. 20-23rd

Cup of China - Beijing, November 3-6th

GPF - Tokyo, December 16-18th

US Nationals - St. Louis, January 7-15th

Hopefully with this schedule, she won't get too burned out during the season. She would have three event sort of bunched together early on, but then would get about a month to train for the GPF, and a couple weeks before Nationals. The Games don't start until Feb. 10th, so she would have plenty of time to prepare for them as well . . . ..

Whatever she decides, though, is okay with me! :)

Bad timing or no, I think Michelle pretty much has to do the December Invitational. I don't think the sponsors will put up the money without her.

ladybug

On the Ice
Doesn't MK have some kind of contract with Campbells and the other cheesefests that she has to honor.

I think it would be tough to do three programs of cheesefests, 2 GP's, 1 GPF, Nationals, Olympics and Worlds. Especially with the competitions scattered over the place.

Ladybug

nymkfan51

Medalist
Joe, I don't know what in this article makes you think Michelle and Sasha will skip SA. :confused:
If either one of them had the idea of skipping a GP event. I can't imagine it would be SA. Plus, they couldn't just withdraw from one event unless there's an injury.
They could choose to not participate at all, but not do just one event.

The Cheesefests are one night stands. A morning of practice and a skate that night. Skaters are used to that if they are involved with Champions on Ice. I don't see this 'overworked' problem of going to AC as well. It's not a transatlantic flight between St.Paul and Atlantic City. :sheesh:

I believe the GPs are more prestigious than the evanescent Campbells. And Campbells to have any validity should be international and not just a dress rehearsal for the Americans.

I can't help but think we are going to repeat the 2005 chain of events leading up to the Olympic Games. We'll be watching Torino and waiting for one of those 'surprise us'.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
First, would Campbell's still qualify as an international event if the Canadians are invited? I doubt that the 3 Japanese ladies and Irina will fly from Japan to St. Paul's to work in another cheesefest (although I hear that iIrina has to pay a third of earnings to her coach, and another big chunk to the federation -- so she may need the extra money for her mom's medical care). However, the Canadian men are certainly challenges for the American men.

Second, does anyone know if the ISU has done, or is planning to do, anything to follow up on its letter no. 592, threatening sanctions against skaters and/or federations, when the top seeded skaters don't do the GP? The USFSA won't like cancelling the winter cheesefest, but if the ISU is going to discipline them (or Kwan, if she doesn't do GP), then they may not have a choice.

Good points Attnyfan - Certainly Joannie and Jeffrey should be invited. I also think Carolina and Stephane should be invited (and maybe rekindle the romance). I guess Irina and the Japanese ladies will be out. The rest I presume will be the two divas, Jenny, and Emilie plus Joannie and Carolina to make 6. For the Men it would be Johnny, Evan, Tim, Matt, Jeffrey and Stephane. There are enough American skaters to fill in the blanks if it does not go international. A Little US Nats, if you please.

As much as some skaters do not see the GPs as so important to skate or because they don't want to tax their muscles, so too, imo, are the Cheesfests. Why are they so important? that a couple of weeks later a real international competition will be at hand and which some skaters will want to avoid?

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:
... As much as some skaters do not see the GPs as so important to skate or because they don't want to tax their muscles, so too, imo, are the Cheesfests. Why are they so important? that a couple of weeks later a real international competition will be at hand and which some skaters will want to avoid? Joe

Win a cheesefest -- $50K. Win a GP ($18K) -- $36K. A cheesefest lets skaters make more money with less work. That is one h*** of a temptation.

attyfan said:
Win a cheesefest -- $50K. Win a GP ($18K) -- $36K. A cheesefest lets skaters make more money with less work. That is one h*** of a temptation.
I suppose that means that the money makes more sense than the international competition, and it's not called PRO!!! hmmm. (I'm sure MK and SC have money coming in under their terms of contract whether or not they win any. An offer they can't refuse.)

Seriously though, what is so wrong about doing both the Soup promotion set-up contest and the legitimate GP contest? Is it that this girlie sport just can't handle too too much athletics in a too too space of time?

Joe

One year the December cheesefest was a pro-am, and Yuka Sato was in it. She competed the night before at World Pros, beating Kristi Yamaguchi with a beautiful performance in a thrilling competition. Then she jumped on the red eye to Detroit and did the Invitational. She was visibly tired and did not skate so great in that one.

IMHO it's the Grand Prix Final that is awkwardly placed in the schedule. Maybe Michelle can do Skate America and the Cup of China and then -- oh, poor baby -- come down with a mysterious injury on the day before the GP Final.

MM

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Actually, most skaters do the GP as well as some cheesefests. I think that last year, where, in addition to MK, Sasha got injured and had to withdraw; Plushy said, at Marshall's that his illness in the summer kept him from being ready for two of his GP events, was a fluke. I think a lot of different concerns have arisen since so many skaters were injured at Worlds -- and Plushy's workload over the past three years did not help him in Moscow.

Also -- if MK or SC gets sick before the GPF (which is only two weeks before Nats), doesn't the ISU get to have them checked by their own doctors? Could MK or SC try quads or triple axels, knowing that they will fall -- so they don't qualify for GPF

attyfan said:
Could MK or SC try quads or triple axels, knowing that they will fall -- so they don't qualify for GPF
:rofl: :rofl: But what if they accidentally landed one? Oh, no -- now I'll have to fall on my footwork! :laugh:

attyfan said:
Also -- if MK or SC gets sick before the GPF (which is only two weeks before Nats), doesn't the ISU get to have them checked by their own doctors? Could MK or SC try quads or triple axels, knowing that they will fall -- so they don't qualify for GPF
If they get sick, that would be quite convenient. Wouldn't it? They both suffered relapses in their backs last season but not for Campbells. What if they got sick before the Campbells? Will they get better in time for the GPs or save themselves for the All American Nationals?

PS. I can't imagine either one of them ever even attempting those jumps. I think Sasha learned her lesson and Michelle is quite firm with her 3t.2t.2r.

Anyway we can look forward to the endless gushing or bashing of their costumes and new music and choreographies at Campbells while Irina is tearing Tokyo apart with 3x3x2s, and Bielmans in yet new ways.

Joe