Why do you dislike Navka/Kostomarov? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Why do you dislike Navka/Kostomarov?

Shanti

On the Ice
NansXOXOX said:
I know you expressing your opinion, and I don't want to speak for Shanti, but I think she would like to know what it is you are basing your opinion on. I'm curious about that as well. Could you elaborate?

Nan

Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to say.

One of the reason I like NavKos is their reserved style (which seems cold and unemotional to many people). I'm generally not so fond of rollicking style.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I will look at Russian Dancers differently. It may be that I only see one a year whereas with American Dancers I see more often and in the same competitions to compare. I do see much difference in the american teams.

Joe

tripleflutz said:
I disagree, I like them very much tripleflutz
I don't think anyone said they dislike them. They just don't think they are not all that special. It's just opinions.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Shanti said:
Sorry, if it was already discussed ...

After reading many posts about Olys predictions I have an impression (maybe a totally wrong one) that almost everyone strongly dislikes Nav/Kos. From some comments it seems that they should not be even in top 6. And no World Champions of recent years were criticized more than them. And it is almost assumed that if they win the OGM it will be unfair, only thanks to judges' arbitrariness.
Do you really think they are such bad skaters, with no artistry and bad technique, unfairly overrated by judges? WHY do you dislike them?

Why such a strange title for this thread? Since when do we "not like" this team?

anniemg

Rinkside
I can't say I don't like them, I just don't like the fact that they are champions. What bothers me a lot is the fact that IMHO they haven't really made any progress since the 2002 Olympics. In 2003, when L/A were still around, they were behind the Bulgarians, and then in 2004, suddenly, with a very mediocre dance, they were world champions and ahead of the Bulgarians who had a great dance. I just can't see why they were better than the Bulgarians that year, and it still bothers me that they finished ahead of the French(which are IMO the best team right now)at Worlds. Of course, that was a combination of the other dances as well so I can't really judge it.
I just don't appreciate their style so much, I prefer 'full' programs like Anissina/Peizerat and the current french team, or the Bulgarians.
And I can't see why Roman is a good skater. To me he's just a tiny bit better than Margaglio:eek:hwell:

urmaniac13

Rinkside
I can understand that they are the current champions... their techniques are extremely precise and they do their elements well...that's what the traditional judges are looking for.. what they severely lack is panache, creativity and charisma, something to grab the attentions of audience. I think they would fare better if they start paying attentions to these issues if they aspire to build a successful career after turning professional....

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Au contraire, N/K are as elegant as B/A are powerful

I took ballet for years, and mind you I skated for 4yrs early competitive then as a hobby, but not as an ice dancer; therefore I wouldn't purport to know the ins and outs of ID. But in my biased, untrained eyes, I get why the ESPN commentators (Carruthers, his partner) consider N&K more elegant and have better lines and more varied lifts and turns than B&A. In fact, I thought their Tosca OD was the best at Worlds for the above reasons; while B&A have the youthful vibrancy and the "pushing the envelope" concept, N&K's traditional/more balletic presentations is just more elegant and, therefore, more relatable to the judges and the European crowd (I am American, BTW, so I still wish Tanith's citizenship gets approved. :rock: )

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I love to watch Navka. She is very exotic and I love her long lines. Now, Kostomarov doesn't do anything for me..lol Although, they do fit each other phisically size wise and personality. I really don't think they have done anything different since their break though at the last Olympics. Kinda like Anassina and Pezera (spelling). I remember when they came to the 98 Olympics and placed forth with their Romeo and Juliet LP. I thought they were amazing. Although, I did think they stood the test of time and should of won the gold with their "I have a Dream" LP at the 2002 Olypics. Even though it wasn't their best. Anyway, N/K will probably win the 06 Oly gold and I'm ok with that. As long as B/A come to the 2010 Olys and win gold! lol

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I think there is a possibility that people expect MORE out of N/K because they are from Russia, the land that gave us Pakhamova/Gorshkov, Bestemianova/Bukin, Klimova/Ponomarenko, Moiseeva/Minenkov, Usova/Zhulin, and many others. I wouldn't put N/K in this category, but I think they've steadily improved in the last few years; I thought their free dance in Dortmund was delightful and I don't even like that style of Dance in particular. As to why they're on top? Representing Russia carries a lot of weight, for one. For another, I don't think any Dance couple is especially spectacular right now so why not them? Navka is one of those who seems to win over judging panels with her charisma, tho I have to admit I don't especially see it myself. But then this is coming from someone who really never got the whole Oksana Baiul thing, either. I mean, I understood it, I just didn't tap into it myself.

soogar

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
I think there is a possibility that people expect MORE out of N/K because they are from Russia, the land that gave us Pakhamova/Gorshkov, Bestemianova/Bukin, Klimova/Ponomarenko, Moiseeva/Minenkov, Usova/Zhulin, and many others. I wouldn't put N/K in this category, but I think they've steadily improved in the last few years; I thought their free dance in Dortmund was delightful and I don't even like that style of Dance in particular. .

I definitely agree that N&K fall short of the prior great Russian teams. However they are on top because they have the best look on the ice. My boyfriend and I were watching 2004 Worlds and he's not into skating at all, but as soon as they came on and were doing their Pink Panther program, he remarked how sharp and smooth they looked (and Navka's tan with the hot pink dress only helped the matter). D&S may have had a more difficult program (with some ugly but difficult lifts), but this is ice dance and style counts for a lot.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
*tiptoes in*

I like their skating. It's elegant. Maybe not as...thingy...as B/A, but I like the classical line and their posture.

The fact that I've seen them do a couple lifts I'd love to copy have no bearing on this. Not so, I lie. But still, I don't have an overly negative reaction to them at all.

*tiptoes out*

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
soogar said:
D&S may have had a more difficult program (with some ugly but difficult lifts), but this is ice dance and style counts for a lot.

IMHO, what did Denkova/Staviysky in at that competition was Staviysky's shirt; it flapped up into his face WAY TOO OFTEN and it was a major distraction. I actually preferred N/K's free dance overall, but I really do think that D/S would have received slightly better marks had it not been for the Flapping Fabric Factor; I really think it detracted from the overall impression they were trying to create.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
But then this is coming from someone who really never got the whole Oksana Baiul thing, either. I mean, I understood it, I just didn't tap into it myself.[/QUOTE]

Oksana, was a youthful, energetic spark that the figure skating world needed at that time. During the whole Nancy and Tanya incident. She was like a little fairytale princess and I believe she is what the 94 Olympics needed.. IMHO

equestrianguy said:
But then this is coming from someone who really never got the whole Oksana Baiul thing, either. I mean, I understood it, I just didn't tap into it myself.
Oksana, was a youthful, energetic spark that the figure skating world needed at that time. During the whole Nancy and Tanya incident. She was like a little fairytale princess and I believe she is what the 94 Olympics needed.. IMHO
And that's how I looked at the performance. Certainly not for the skating.

Joe