Campbell's International FS Classic | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Campbell's International FS Classic

brad640

On the Ice
mzheng said:
My point was if she already had a 3Z/2T/2L(or 2T) in her program she can't do 2A/3T/2Lp cuz rule is not allowed. Sure she can do 2A/3T to free up a jump pass in order to do a 7 triples if she does not have a 3/3 already. And even she has one already, she can use the jump pass to tackle in another 2A, like Crolina did last year. The key was she can't do TWO 3 jump comb in LP....That's why I question if the it was wise to spend time on another 2/3/2 while you can only have ONE 3 jump comb in LP.

She may drop the extra 2l on the first combo and do it in the second half of the program to receive bonus.

LBC

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
Actually Sasha did 6 triples and a double axel. I checked my notes again.

Combos; 3L-2t-2R and a 3f-2t

I think you are right on the layout of the jumps.

Saw the bootleg video of Sasha's performance. It was 7 triples. 3l/2t/2r, 3f/2t, 3R, 3f, 3t/3s sequence, 2A, 3sal. It is the same layout of jumps from worlds. The sequence counts as 1 jumping pass and thus she can get 7 triples this way.

Mzheng I can understand why they were trying the 2A/3/2 combo. That is because Sasha could get 8 triples into her program that way. Same layout above and add a triple on the 2A. Since Sasha has such problems on a traditional 3/3 they've got to try something else. You try the 2/3 first. Then see if she can do a 2/3/2. This is the extra jump you work on in hope you can add it in. It is worth trying at least because 8 triples will win you the OGM for sure. You still have to keep practicing the 3/2/2 because that is what you know you are going to use. Like I said earlier you practice different combos to see which is the most consistant and for an adlib back up.

brinababy87

Rinkside
I don't know if it was certain or not, but Sasha's last jump was most definitely a triple. I slowed it down and watched it.

brad640 said:
Maybe someday, but not in this Olympic cycle. Skaters are not penalized for poor entrances of any kind, including pre-rotating, which happens even more than flutz/lips. As long as the jumps are landed cleanly and not cheated on the end, the skaters will receive full credit. Why should skaters waste time correcting these problems if it won't improve their scores?
I was just thinking it was a sport. It really isn't.

Joe

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
And speaking of coaching, since others have mentioned that they felt Sasha never should have left Nicks, I disagree. Back in Mesopotamia, when I was dancing and teaching dance, often the best thing for an advanced dancer who hadn't made it to the professional level was a several months to a year or more away from his/her usual instructor or group of instructors, no matter how great they were. Without going into the reasons why, I don't think Sasha would be the skater she is today had she not trained with both Tarasova and Wagner. I agree that Nicks is the best coach for her now, but I feel strongly that Sasha needed to visit the land of Oz in order to appreciate what he has to offer.
Rgirl
I agree -- I felt Sasha gained a great deal from moving away from Nicks for a time. While her presentation was already very good, Sasha made a big leap forward choreographically with Tarasova -- specifically, crafting choreography which is defined by the music, rather than just forcing the music to fit Sasha's usual snap and flash routine. These improvements were obscured under Wagner, but now I think we are seeing them again. Also, Sasha's basic skating clearly got better under Tarasova.

With Robin the improvements are harder to define. However, I think we saw Sasha become a better competitor. When Sasha was with Tarasova, she skated well in the smaller competitions but when it came to the big time (2003 Nats and Worlds), she folded like a house of cards. It was under Robin that Sasha won her first World medal and skated her first perfect LP (at the 2004 Spring Cheesefest). While I have very little respect for Robin's ability to teach good skating, I have a lot of respect for her ability to "play the game" and give her skaters what they need from a competitive standpoint. I do think Sasha learned something about competing from Robin.

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
I don't have time to read through the whole thread, so I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but did anyone else notice Emanuel is re-using a costume? It's his costume from three seasons ago I think. I wonder if this means he is reusing a program??

Maybe it's a comfort level thing. Wants to go back to an old program he's comfortable with so that he can focus on other things mentally, like keeping himself together:p we'll see how that goes :laugh:

Anyways, what do you guys think?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
I don't have time to read through the whole thread, so I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but did anyone else notice Emanuel is re-using a costume? It's his costume from three seasons ago I think. I wonder if this means he is reusing a program??

Maybe it's a comfort level thing. Wants to go back to an old program he's comfortable with so that he can focus on other things mentally, like keeping himself together:p we'll see how that goes :laugh:

Anyways, what do you guys think?

it could just be that his new costume isn't ready yet and the old one was the best one he had to fit the music

doug_log

On the Ice
LBC,

Unless she has a 3A, a woman cannot have more than 7 triples in her program, even if she has a 2A/3 combination. Remember, only 2 triples can be repeated.

Vash01

Medalist
LBC said:
Saw the bootleg video of Sasha's performance. It was 7 triples. 3l/2t/2r, 3f/2t, 3R, 3f, 3t/3s sequence, 2A, 3sal. It is the same layout of jumps from worlds. The sequence counts as 1 jumping pass and thus she can get 7 triples this way.

Mzheng I can understand why they were trying the 2A/3/2 combo. That is because Sasha could get 8 triples into her program that way. Same layout above and add a triple on the 2A. Since Sasha has such problems on a traditional 3/3 they've got to try something else. You try the 2/3 first. Then see if she can do a 2/3/2. This is the extra jump you work on in hope you can add it in. It is worth trying at least because 8 triples will win you the OGM for sure. You still have to keep practicing the 3/2/2 because that is what you know you are going to use. Like I said earlier you practice different combos to see which is the most consistant and for an adlib back up.

You are right. I counted wrong in my notes. I had written 2 triples on one line and forgot to count one of them.

Vash

Vash and Antm,
Thanks for the info. :)

Ogre Mage,
Very interesting opinions on what Sasha gained from her time with Tarasova and Wagner. I actually thought Sasha's jump technique improved under Wagner rather than TT, but who can tell when the effects of someone's training kicks in? Your citing of the "playing the game" angle under Robin is one I hadn't thought of, but now that you mention it, I completely agree. That's one thing Sarah certainly had in spades: Great psychological skills during any and all events. I'm sure some of it was Sarah herself, but given the change with Sasha, I'm now thinking Wagner has some kind of "technique" for dealing with that all-important aspect of skating.

Rgirl

Vash01

Medalist
LBC said:

You are right. I counted wrong while going through my notes. Sasha did 7 triples and a 2axel.

Was it her first 7-triple performance?

Vash

antmanb

Record Breaker
bdreampixie said:
From reports, she did 7 triples, with 3 combos. 3z/2t/2l, 3f/2t, and 3t/3s sequence like the one she did at Worlds. Actually the jump layout sounds exactly like Worlds.

In that case i have no idea why she'd go for the three jump combo on the axel because she's getting all seven of her triples out?!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
LBC said:

The ladies can only do 8 triples if they do a triple axel otherwise they're in breach of the Zayak rule - that only two triple jumps may be repeated so long as one of the jump of the same type is on combination or sequence with another jump. If she did as you suggest above she'd be repeating the flip the sal and toe and one of them woulnd't count.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I was just thinking it was a sport. It really isn't.

Joe

Ah because the system won't correct your personal bug bear its no longer a sport :rolleye:

Ant

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Is n't there a breakdown on Sasha's scoring. Wouldn't that show how many 3s and combos and sequences she did?

Joe

That's exactly what I've been griping about - I haven't checked again this morning, but last I checked yesterday the USFSA STILL does not have the judges score sheets up.

DG

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
While I have very little respect for Robin's ability to teach good skating, I have a lot of respect for her ability to "play the game" and give her skaters what they need from a competitive standpoint. I do think Sasha learned something about competing from Robin.
ITA.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
Ogre Mage,
Very interesting opinions on what Sasha gained from her time with Tarasova and Wagner. I actually thought Sasha's jump technique improved under Wagner rather than TT, but who can tell when the effects of someone's training kicks in?

Rgirl
I agree. What I meant by basic skating was that during her time with Tarasova (who was an ice dancer), I would watch Sasha as she skated around the rink in competition and noticed stronger stroking and better edging. Inexplicably, this did NOT translate into better jump technique. Perhaps it was a mental thing, not a physical thing? That's when I started to think about Robin's background as a psychologist. Of course, you could just as easily make the argument that as an ice dancer, Tarasova knew nothing about jumping whereas Wagner had been teaching jumps for years. The eternal question of why Sasha can't skate a clean LP has been discussed to death, so I don't want to ramble too much about it here.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
The eternal question of why Sasha can't skate a clean LP

She did this at the 2004 Marshall's spring event (and at this year's Campbells? I would think a slight "step-out" or whatnot is close enough to clean, but of course I haven't seen it yet.)

Now, she's yet to do this at a major competition. Will the time roll around this year? Fans have been saying that it's "Sasha's year" for FOUR years now. It hasn't happened. Someone's always been stealing that title from her. So I really have to roll my eyes every time some fan (Sasha fan or not) claims it's going to be "her year". We just don't know yet. She's doing SA and (I forgot the other event), so if she does really well at those events, then I suppose we could raise the possibility. JMO.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
What would the Caller say in the future: skater did a lutz but the intent was flipl. Upgrade it.:thumbsup:

Clear up both these messes. If the scores show there is a problem, skaters will present true lutzes and true flips.

Joe
What they say is that the curve, entering direction, rotation, and landing was a lutz or a flip, but that there was a flawed edge going into the lutz or lip.

Whether it shows in the scores is up to the judges, who are "required" by the rules to take 1-3 levels of GOE, depending on the severity and length of the incorrect edge entrance.