So-Youn Park | Page 53 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
well I am just be realistic here. do NOT support anorexic looking skaters. let us be honest, in figure skating, people appreciate lines and what is the reality of aesthetics in main stream Figure skating. no need to starve, but could use better costuming. BTW, Chubby is a cute word and considered very attractive in Japan.
As for the back design, I think, they are going for the greek goddess look. I like the idea and it is appropriate for the theme of song. but could designed better. just my opinion.
A chubby baby is cute, but a great number of women would take offense to being called "chubby". Especially when they're not chubby by any normal standard. Do you think that So-Youn would like being called "chubby"? Replace it with f.e. "athletic" or even "curvy" everyone should be satisfied.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
A chubby baby is cute, but a great number of women would take offense to being called "chubby". Especially when they're not chubby by any normal standard. Do you think that So-Youn would like being called "chubby"? Replace it with f.e. "athletic" or even "curvy" everyone should be satisfied.

1, why a great number of women would take offense when referred to as "chubby". you answered your own questions, because the mainstream aesthetics for women is slim,let alone sports like figure skating. this IS reality. Do I personally agree with this consensus is irrelevant.
2, which words "chubby", "athletic" or "curvy" are cuter, well, that really depends on individuals, I personally prefer "chubby". I think it is the best word among the 3 options your offered to describe Soyoun's accurate figures. replace it with the other 2, I would not be satisfied (so that is not everyone ;)).
Nevertheless, the common thing among these 3 words, is they all point out the not-so-desired body type in figure skating business (keep it real). that is the unpleasant part. Again reality.
whether SoYoun would like being called "chubby" or not, I dont know, but I think, as a truly confident human being, what they really cares about is the truth and be confident or at peace with it and care less about all that many different ways how other people sugar coating it or not.
I also think, the only useful way to change a status (that is if you decided that you are not satisfied with your current situation) is to make changes, face the reality instead of sugar coating it.
3, I watched soyoun's show performance, had an opinion, point out a reality, and give a doable suggestion (perhaps, change the dress design) as a fan. That is it. I think I have explained my opinion (and regarding to your issues) very clear here. I am ONLY interested in Soyoun's performances, and has NO interests in other issues, there are just too many issues in this world to worry about and this is just a little fan thread. :)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
1, why a great number of women would take offense when referred to as "chubby". you answered your own questions, because the mainstream aesthetics for women is slim,let alone sports like figure skating. this IS reality. Do I personally agree with this consensus is irrelevant.
I wrote
but a great number of women would take offense to being called "chubby". Especially when they're not chubby by any normal standard.
So-Youn is not chubby by any normal standard. I'd suggest you'll do a "chubby woman" google picture search. You might be surprised. There is something between skinny and chubby: average.
I know that asian women often have narrower hips and are slimmer overall than f.e. european women. But even considering that I really don't think that you can call So-Youn chubby. She's a professional athletes, professional athletes are not chubby. Well, ok, maybe shot-putters. I remember that I read in some forum a couple of years ago that Carolina Kostner has a "fat ***". "Chubby" might not be that offensive, but I still think that So-Youn would take offense and that's her fan thread after all. And that's my point really, I don't want to change the way how you view and evaluate female bodies, but I still think it's not nice to write something like that in So-Youn's fan thread.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Guys, I'm so relieved that So Youn got two spots in the GP! With top 24 in the World Standings only giving them at least one spot, I was nervous to see how it would turn out! :cheer: Anyways, both SA and TEB are tough. Gracie Gold, Gabby Daleman, and Mao Asada are in both. Evgenia is in TEB, and Ashley is in SA. I hope So Youn does well.

It's also kind of funny that she got SA for the third time in a row. :biggrin: I actually thought that she'd get Cup of China again, because of how they invited her to the gala last year.

So Youn is up against two intense fields but I hope that she will still be able to make a statement this season! :cheer2: Go So Youn!

dna5019

Final Flight
I'm very happy to see that So Youn was able to get two spots. Best of luck to her. :clapper:

andyjo24

Medalist
What a relief!

I hope she really shows her full potential this season with improved consistency and SS.

It is just sooooo frustrating how she hasn't been able to show how good she can be....

clippers8200

On the Ice
According to a poster in Ashley Wagner's thread, SoYoun was spotted training in Southern California! Wonder if that's a long-term arrangement for the off-season now that ATS concluded.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I'm hoping that it's a long-term arrangement. It's quite interesting actually since I thought she would be in the Artesia rink instead.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I've always liked So Youn, but THIS. She picked Slytherin, I love her eternally :love:

leminent

Rinkside
It's been officially announced:

SP by Cindy Stewart
FS by David Wilson

Hope this may concur a synergy on SY!

leminent

Rinkside
I'm leaving to Taiwan for ASOI with in 5 hours.

OH MY GOD my heart flatters, as usual.
Hope she performs Dear future husband..

FanOfTeamKorea

On the Ice
2016-2017 New Program
SP : The Man with the Golden Arm (Soundtrack) choreo. Cindy Stuart
FS : Aranjuez Mon Amour perform by Nana Mouskouri choreo. David Wilson

clippers8200

On the Ice
2016-2017 New Program
SP : The Man with the Golden Arm (Soundtrack) choreo. Cindy Stuart
FS : Aranjuez Mon Amour perform by Nana Mouskouri choreo. David Wilson

Hmmm...interesting choices. Really hope she can get her PCS up. Aranjuez Mon Amour is quite slow, but probably harder to emote than R&J, so should be interesting!