2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info

sandi

Rinkside
Hi Toni -- I was wondering about Wi Fi too, and in Post #419, sandi posted the link that shows the arena has Wi Fi. Hooray!

Hey guys! I'm a local so just giving the helpful tip that there's free public WiFi in the heart of the downtown area like where the Fairmont hotel is on Market/1st street. The WiFi doesn't cover the area right next to SAP Center though. You can see the coverage map here. http://www.sanjoseculture.org/index.aspx?nid=3689

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey guys! I'm a local so just giving the helpful tip that there's free public WiFi in the heart of the downtown area like where the Fairmont hotel is on Market/1st street. The WiFi doesn't cover the area right next to SAP Center though. You can see the coverage map here. http://www.sanjoseculture.org/index.aspx?nid=3689

I'm staying at the Fairmont, so I was excited to hear this cause I'm guessing I'm going to have to pay for wi-fi at the hotel, LOL.

Thanks sandi for the info!!

Last edited:

georgia

On the Ice
I'm staying at the Fairmont, so I was excited to hear this cause I'm guessing I'm going to have to pay for wi-fi at the hotel, LOL.

Thanks sandi for the info!!
Thanks Sandi and Mrs P for the info, because I will be staying at the Fairmont too.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Wow sandi, you're just a treasure trove of info! :clapper: :thank: I was reading about a free shuttle that runs in the downtown area. I think it was called Dash? Do you know if there is still some kind of a shuttle. I am within walking distance of the arena (at the Arena Hotel) but was still wondering about that shuttle.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Is there not free WiFi at the outside tables at the WHOLE FOODS" store next to the arena? There is a Hotel WITHOUT free WiFi?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
So do you think practice passes will be sold individually if I can't get an all access pass? :(
Word on the street is they ARE selling Solar tickets at the door that get you in. I have never seen practice passes sold at a real arena. They don't want a person hiding in a bathroom to stay for an event, maybe.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
You know this but I will just say that you shouldn't expect soft seats and balmy air at the Solar.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just talked with folks returning from Solar. They are still selling tickets to public despite standing room only. Very cold in rink. Good restaurant upstairs and snack bar. No leg room in bleachers. Bring something to Mark your seat.

waxel

Final Flight
Is there not free WiFi at the outside tables at the WHOLE FOODS" store next to the arena? There is a Hotel WITHOUT free WiFi?

Yes! Unbelievably... if I understand correctly... the Fairmont (where I'm staying) does not have free WiFi. :gaah:

temadd

Final Flight
Yes! Unbelievably... if I understand correctly... the Fairmont (where I'm staying) does not have free WiFi. :gaah:

Bummer I'm staying there too. With what they charge you'd think they could provide free wi-fi. I've been at econo hotels that do.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A friend mentioned that there are practices at Solar4 on January 4 and 5, but no practice passes were issued. A free pin/lanyard is available for all event ticket holders which is supposed to give you access to those practices on Jan. 4 & 5. If you are interested in attending those, you probably need to check with USFS at SAP to make sure the lanyard will get you into Solar4.

I've now read that the practice passes for SAP for January 4 and 5 also say good for Solar4. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:

Gusmom

Rinkside
Bummer I'm staying there too. With what they charge you'd think they could provide free wi-fi. I've been at econo hotels that do.
My husband travels a lot for work & reports that it's well-know that the nicer the hotel, the fewer amenities, more extra fees, etc.

sandi

Rinkside
Wow sandi, you're just a treasure trove of info! :clapper: :thank: I was reading about a free shuttle that runs in the downtown area. I think it was called Dash? Do you know if there is still some kind of a shuttle. I am within walking distance of the arena (at the Arena Hotel) but was still wondering about that shuttle.

Hopefully the public WiFi is reliable! I didn't connect to it when I was in downtown recently for Christmas in the Park. Yes DASH runs on weekdays and is free (not sure if it runs on New Years... probably not). http://www.vta.org/routes/rt201

Also, for those taking public transportation, the newer VTA buses and light rail have free WiFi. It is also helpful to get a Clipper card at Walgreens (there is one in downtown on Santa Clara and 1st Street) to load transit money and tap on.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A friend mentioned that there are practices at Solar4 on January 4 and 5, but no practice passes were issued. A free pin/lanyard is available for all event ticket holders which is supposed to give you access to those practices on Jan. 4 & 5. If you are interested in attending those, you probably need to check with USFS at SAP to make sure the lanyard will get you into Solar4.

I've now read that the practice passes for SAP for January 4 and 5 also say good for Solar4. Sorry for the confusion!

Just to be perfectly clear, Prac pass mentions both venues. They punch it and give you a wrist band for easy in and out for any of the rinks/ arenas.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
definitely the rule of certain hotel chains.

Odd. At arena hotel free Jacuzzi in room, breakfast , wifi, cappachino machine, bacon bacon bacon. Fridge and microwave. Whole foods store pharmacy liqueur store. I may never go home!

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Odd. At arena hotel free Jacuzzi in room, breakfast , wifi, cappachino machine, bacon bacon bacon. Fridge and microwave. Whole foods store pharmacy liqueur store. I may never go home!

Good to know! See you at breakfast!

georgia

On the Ice
Fairmont has free WiFi if you register in their program. It all takes a minute! Problem solved