2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 311 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I think people were still clinging to that illusion.

I was certainly expecting no medals, not even close. But I was hoping for somewhere around 6-8 :confused2:

I think that can still happen if Bradie and Mirai skate more like they did at the team event and nationals and knowing the inconsistency of some of the ladies above (Daleman, Choi, Kostner specifically) so I'm not ready to give up on that yet but maybe that's too optimistic at this point :eek::

kimi492

Final Flight
I’m sitting here bawling at that interview - I’m no fair weather fan - I’ve been rooting for her through every high and low, and I wish Mirai could know how proud I am to have seen her grow and adapt to all her struggles - she has never skated better than this season and I can tell she has put her heart completely into this. I hope she takes this and puts all that emotion towards her long and gives it her all because I know she’s capable of wonderful things

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Not very good. No medals at the Olympics in 12 years and none this year either. Really, it was generous for Sasha to even get one in 2006.

Sasha's silver was very deserved in 2006, her programs and performances were glorious. Who else was supposed to get it - Irina with the same amount of mistakes and inferior quality in the LP? Suguri with a mistake and clearly lacking on the transitions, spins, and spirals?

Proxy

On the Ice
Sasha's silver was very deserved in 2006, her programs and performances were glorious. Who else was supposed to get it - Irina with the same amount of mistakes and inferior quality in the LP? Suguri with a mistake and clearly lacking on the transitions, spins, and spirals?

I didn't say anyone else was supposed to get it. Anyone after Shizuka should feel generous they received one, it was an awful competition.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I have a feeling Mirai is going to skate best among the 3 ladies. Bradie is not going to get good PCS even if she skates clean. Karen has not been doing well all seasons long, and her SP didn't show signs of improvement.

Proxy

On the Ice
I think Mirai will skate well too. The pressure is off now, a lot of times that leads to better skates later on.

I don't think the pressure was what got to her though. She was just trying something that she is not consistent with. It's amazing she landed the 3A at all in this Olympics, and she came *this* close to landing it again. I really thought she was going to hold on.

kimi492

Final Flight
I think Mirai will skate well too. The pressure is off now, a lot of times that leads to better skates later on.

I don't think the pressure was what got to her though. She was just trying something that she is not consistent with. It's amazing she landed the 3A at all in this Olympics, and she came *this* close to landing it again. I really thought she was going to hold on.

It was obvious pressure IMO - her face was completely defeated before she even started - she fell on 3A in the warmup and then was only doing doubles she usually bounces back from that much better in practices - I thought for sure she was hurt - maybe she was

Proxy

On the Ice
It was obvious pressure IMO - her face was completely defeated before she even started - she fell on 3A in the warmup and then was only doing doubles - I thought for sure she was hurt - maybe she was

I really don't think it was pressure. She finished the rest of the program without a wilt. She practiced the 3A in the warmup and earlier in the week and she wasn't landing it.

Succumbing to pressure is when you land something all the time and then your nerves get you when it counts and you fail. She wasn't succeeding in the jump but once in a blue moon. It's a testimony to how much she fought for it that she darn near went 2/2.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
If there was pressure, it was the pressure that she didn't do well in practice. I just learned from many skaters' interviews that bad practices normally lead to less confidence at the real competition, and hence nervous because jumps did not well close to the competition. That was basically what she told Johnny at the interview.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
just watched a clip on nbc website of bradie falling on her opening combo, :disapp:....I'm done with the U.S. ladies, so disappointing...and yes, to answer someone's question if this is the worst olympics for US ladies ever, yes, I believe it is.

also saw Karen Chen miss her combo jump on TV when I was dining out at a restaurant, and they showed a clip of Mira falling on her 3axel........very empty period in US ladies figure skating, and I have a feeling the drought is gonna continue for a long time

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I didn't say anyone else was supposed to get it. Anyone after Shizuka should feel generous they received one, it was an awful competition.

It was the first Olympics that used CoP and they even revamped all the spin/footwork/spiral rules from the previous season. The skaters had a LOT to do in a short amount of time to adjust. Sasha's programs were some of the best ever and no Ladies since her have shown some of the qualities she did, that medal was very deserved. I would much prefer to watch the skating she did there than what we see from Medvedeva.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I’m sitting here bawling at that interview - I’m no fair weather fan - I’ve been rooting for her through every high and low, and I wish Mirai could know how proud I am to have seen her grow and adapt to all her struggles - she has never skated better than this season and I can tell she has put her heart completely into this. I hope she takes this and puts all that emotion towards her long and gives it her all because I know she’s capable of wonderful things

:agree: Beautifully said. Her interview choked me up too.

R.D.

Record Breaker
About the US women at the Olympics, no need for me to repeat what others have already said about their state, but in regards to Nagasu - she can at least take solace in that she went for it. Also, she landed it on the team event and helped the US get that team bronze. At least she and Tennell have got that and won’t be coming back empty-handed.

I’m not sure how much longer I’ll keep following competitive skating. I may be done after this week. (Still up for attending shows as I see fit, however.)