2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 105 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Up to this point, The Canadian Road to the Olympics has been paved in Gold for the Team Event, Gold for our Dance team Victor and Moir and Bronze for Pairs. Gold in our minds for Patrick for his excellence and long career. And Kaetlyn, however the outcome of you Olympic skating, medal or not, you have proved yourself already. Good luck.What more can Canadians ask for. It is an Olympics to be proud off and too remember. May the Skatings Gods be with Kaetlyn...:luv17::pray:

May Kaetlyn win it all... by one point over Gabby Daleman or a skate-off.

So Say We All!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Man after all the propaganda, negativity, jokes about the flag bearer curse, and the judges games I'm happy Tessa and Scott did it. That one was huge. To snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, when you know the judges aren't in your corner. Even Romain talked about it. This has got to feel great for them. I know other Canadian Olympians are also thrilled for them and have tweeted out congratulations. They got also got a standing ovation at Canada House.

Canada has an interesting streak in figure skating. There's been at least one Canadian on the podium at the Winter Olympics in figure skating since 1984. Heading to Beijing 2022 we have to see if it holds up.

Looking ahead the deepest field right now looks to be, unbelievably, pairs. Seguin/Bilodeau and Moore-Towers/Marinaro are scoring close to or over 200 points. There will be a new senior pairs team of Justine Brasseur/Mark Bardei. Walsh/Michaud, the top Canadian junior team, will be competing at Junior Worlds next month and then moving up. Ruest/Wolfe and Kolodziej/Deschamps are also developing though they need to up their technical game. Quebec in general has many entertaining younger pairs who could become more competitive with some work on the technical side.

At the novice level McIntosh/Toste will be ones to watch as they go to the JGP next season. Long term if they survive the obstacles coming their way they could be Canada's top pair post-2022.

Ice dance will have Gilles/Poirier and Soucisse/Firus and maybe Weaver/Poje if they don't retire. Lajoie/Lagha may also go senior next season after competing at Junior Worlds. Long term I would watch D'Alessandro/Waddell's development. They are in the really early stages of their career and are still growing but show promise. With the right development they could perhaps follow in Tessa and Scott's footsteps. Post-2022 is their time for seniors

Men... There's a whole bunch of them. Leaders of the pack right now are Keegan, Nam, and Joseph. Joseph will compete at Junior Worlds with the aim of medalling - which is a real possibility if he skates clean. The Olympics were good for Keegan. Nam has to work through some things. As do Roman and Nic. Long term I'm looking at one kid who I don't need to name. :)

Ladies may be interesting to see who continues. If Kaetlyn and Gabby both go on then there is time for the younger ladies to develop without worrying about holding down spots at Worlds. Aurora, Olivia, and Alison are the up and comers. Aurora has a chance to prove herself at Junior Worlds. Does anyone know of any novice ladies that are crushing it and we should keep an eye on?

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Man after all the propaganda, negativity, jokes about the flag bearer curse, and the judges games I'm happy Tessa and Scott did it. That one was huge. To snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, when you know the judges aren't in your corner. Even Romain talked about it. This has got to feel great for them. I know other Canadian Olympians are also thrilled for them and have tweeted out congratulations. They got also got a standing ovation at Canada House.

Canada has an interesting streak in figure skating. There's been at least one Canadian on the podium at the Winter Olympics in figure skating since 1984. Heading to Beijing 2022 we have to see if it holds up.

. . .

Ladies may be interesting to see who continues. If Kaetlyn and Gabby both go on then there is time for the younger ladies to develop without worrying about holding down spots at Worlds. Aurora, Olivia, and Alison are the up and comers. Aurora has a chance to prove herself at Junior Worlds. Does anyone know of any novice ladies that are crushing it and we should keep an eye on?

a) Damn happy for Tessa & Scott. I don't trust skating judges once out of North America.

b1) Kaetlyn Osmond is knocking on the door of something special here. Just as I predicted...

b2) Yeah in four years Gabby Daleman will pick up Canada's third ladies' single gold & second Team Gold as the Team Captain. You heard it here. Can you tell we Kaetlyn Osmond fans respect Gabby Daleman? I hope so!

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Standings tonight:

1 Alina Zagitova 82.92
2 Evgenia Medvedeva 81.61
3 Kaetlyn Osmond 78.87
4 Satoko Miyahara 75.94
5 Kaori Sakamoto 73.18
6 Carolina Kostner 73.15
7 Gabrielle Daleman 68.90
25. Larkyn Austman 51.42

Kaetlyn could win this.

I'm more worried Gabby may not be able to catch up and cover Kaetlyn's back...

Larkyn, sorry. Your job now is to help Kaetlyn and Gabby, period. Please.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
The Full Skate order...

GROUP 3
Maria Sotskova
Karen Chen
Bradie Tennell
Gabrielle Daleman
Dabin Choi
Mirai Nagasu
GROUP 4
Satoko Miyahara
Carolina Kostner
Kaori Sakamoto
Alina Zagitova
Kaetlyn Osmond
Evgenia Medvedeva

Good. Kaetlyn has an almost fair shot at gold.

sross43

Rinkside
I would love for Kaetlyn to win but I just don't think it will happen. Training with Eteri is a whole other ball game. She trains her skaters to be so mentally strong (by questionable means, to be sure) I don't think they have it in them to bomb. Also, culturally it's just different. In Canada and the US, you skate because you enjoy it and are passionate about the sport. In Russia, those medals open the door to a whole new way of life for them and their families.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn continues to build a legacy. With a 78.87, she has overtaken Mao and Yuna to hold the 3rd best SP score of all time.

Go Kaetlyn! :)

russianfan

Match Penalty
True but I think what they meant was 3rd as far as number of other ladies with greater scores.

Better said is: Only Alina and Evgenia have scored higher in the SP than Kaetlyn.

All three were very impressive last night. Good for them.

Yeah, i understand that, but it's just not quite accurate to say "3rd best SP score of all time". More like "3rd best SP score of all time if we consider only one best score from each lady"

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It took forever :dbana: , but I've finally uploaded all the vids that were on Vimeo to Streamable, and I've updated all of my previous posts on this thread with new links. Presumably those videos will be taken down eventually, so if there was a skater/team that you missed the first time around, you now have a second chance, but don't dawdle.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
It took forever :dbana: , but I've finally uploaded all the vids that were on Vimeo to Streamable, and I've updated all of my previous posts on this thread with new links. Presumably those videos will be taken down eventually, so if there was a skater/team that you missed the first time around, you now have a second chance, but don't dawdle.

Thanks siberia82, and take a break as you've earned it! ;)