2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

alvina9894

Final Flight

I hope she's simply having fun, but not being serious about 3A at this stage. She needs to stabalize her 3-3s before going for 3A.

As for Dmitrieva, her take-off technique is quite off and I don't see her rotating a consistent 3A. She seems to throw herself sideways by prerotation instead of actually getting height that is essential for gaining air-time for 3A.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I hope she's simply having fun, but not being serious about 3A at this stage. She needs to stabalize her 3-3s before going for 3A.

As for Dmitrieva, her take-off technique is quite off and I don't see her rotating a consistent 3A. She seems to throw herself sideways by prerotation instead of actually getting height that is essential for gaining air-time for 3A.
The air time's amazing for a 10-year-old. The only skater in that age group who I've seen have more air time on any jump(not just axel) is Polina Plakhotnaya. And that's on her Lutz.

alvina9894

Final Flight
The air time's amazing for a 10-year-old. The only skater in that age group who I've seen have more air time on any jump(not just axel) is Polina Plakhotnaya. And that's on her Lutz.

But axel jump is quite different from lutz. Firstly it's an edge jump, secondly it's an edge jump that relies largely on the free leg and arms. Masha's 3A attempt is 16/30 which translates to 0.53s and it seems to me that she needs at least 2 more frames of airtime before she could fully rotate her 3A. Of course I hope she could manage to rotate 3A consistently as she grow older and gain muscles, but she could've done so earlier with improvement of her axel technique.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
But axel jump is quite different from lutz. Firstly it's an edge jump, secondly it's an edge jump that relies largely on the free leg and arms. Masha's 3A attempt is 16/30 which translates to 0.53s and it seems to me that she needs at least 2 more frames of airtime before she could fully rotate her 3A. Of course I hope she could manage to rotate 3A consistently as she grow older and gain muscles, but she could've done so earlier with improvement of her axel technique.
Yep, 16/30 it is. I hope you realize how amazing this is for an Axel? Kostornaia's is 18/30 but her 2A is 15/30 or 16/30. And her axel's very high and she's 4 years older. Trusova's 3A attempt was 17/30 when she was 2 years older and Trusova does quads and is expected to get a 3A. Rika's 3A is 17/30 and their rotation speed's similar - with that video material it actually is a slight advantage to Dmitrieva in rotation speed.

That Lutz by Plakhotnaya is 17/30 and it's the ONLY jump I've seen with more air time than Dmitrieva's 3A by anyone in her age group. And Plakhotnaya's Lutz has more air time than Zagitova's or at least the same.

With Dmitrieva's rotation speed, even 17/30 should be enough just like with Rika. But I disagree a bit on the technique, I think Dmitrieva jumps it quite well.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I was wondering, do you think Zagitova's next FS will be completely backloaded again? It will be difficult to find a music that fits it. When they tried with Zhenya at the beginning of the season it wasn't really working because, contrarily to DQ, it didn't really fit the music

russianfan

Match Penalty
Alina said in the interview that she expects to keep the same jumps, so probably layout will be the same. Also, they have prepared a new program for her. Can't wait to see it!

atsumiri

Record Breaker
I was wondering, do you think Zagitova's next FS will be completely backloaded again? It will be difficult to find a music that fits it. When they tried with Zhenya at the beginning of the season it wasn't really working because, contrarily to DQ, it didn't really fit the music

it possible to find something. Even in a different style.
watch Kostornaia's FS)

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Alina said in the interview that she expects to keep the same jumps, so probably layout will be the same. Also, they have prepared a new program for her. Can't wait to see it!

Oh is it already prepared? That's great! I'm really curious to see it, I really would like her to embrace a different style next season :)

it possible to find something. Even in a different style.
watch Kostornaia's FS)

Yeah you're right, Kostornaia's FS really does work :)

russianfan

Match Penalty
After what happened yesterday, Eteri is not going to let Zagitova see the light of day ever again, Zagitova's career is pretty much over... She will follow in the footsteps of Lipnitskaya...

just curious, would you say the same when Osmond has had bad performances?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
For Zhenya, it wasn't really working because she kept falling or having step outs.

They're going to fully backload as long as it gives them bonus points, several of their juniors have done full backloads for a couple of seasons already so clearly they are able to somehow find music to suit it. And it doesn't need to just be a single track, it can be a combination.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
For Zhenya, it wasn't really working because she kept falling or having step outs.

They're going to fully backload as long as it gives them bonus points, several of their juniors have done full backloads for a couple of seasons already so clearly they are able to somehow find music to suit it. And it doesn't need to just be a single track, it can be a combination.

Yes, as atsumiri also said Kostornaia's music is very different and works with the backloading, I hadn't really thought about it! I think I had a negative impression of Zhenya's backloaded FS because the music cuts were done really badly and didn't fit the jumps at all. Plus yes, she had some problems with it, although now I wonder whether it's also because the foot was bothering her? We'll see if she backloads next season!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I have no idea if this girl can jump but #TeamShelepen has a legit spinning superstar :jaw:

https://instagram.com/p/Bgva3j5B4gM/
This reminded me of something and I guess it's quite a tangent, but Ksenia Sinitsyna's layback spin has a really interesting first position. And well, the rest of the spin is... pretty good also. It'll be interesting to see if someone actually dares to only give it +2 GOE in the case she gets JGP appearances. But to be honest, even though the first position's interesting it seems more like a gimmick. Still interesting.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Thank you for that interview. Alina Zagitova speaks clearly and pulls no punches. And I'm glad her coaches helped her after her long program disaster in Milan. Also she will be Olympic champion forever and that will always top any world championship she may win. Is anyone here saying Olympic Champions like Sarah Hughes or Adelina Sotnikova are struggling with life because I never won the World Championship? Of course not.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think the world's showed that pretty much every skater is emotionally and physically spent. Evgenia was emotionally spent after her free skate at the Olympics. When she broke down immediately after her fs and had her heart ripped out after the scores, even if she was healthy I doubt her head was in a good place for world's. Winning gold would probably solidify her as one of the greats. I don't speak russian but even her interviews with Russian tv had a sense of mourning about them, it reminds me of Michelle Kwan.

Alina, I think she was just tired. She probably felt the need to justify her gold medal to her coach, her country, and skating fans that she deserved the gold medal over Evgenia. I also don't think she was prepared for the media scrutiny. Is any 15 year old really ready? Evgenia looks like a natural show woman, she loves the camera and the camera loves her.

The next year will be interesting for both skaters.

Evgenia is in the Michelle Kwan scenario but worse. She is not in a country where she can be an Osmond or Kostner and have ups and downs for a few years. Hell team Eteri looks scary as hell. I think Javier said "I like doing quads but falling down hurts a lot more as I get older". How many times is she willing to fall, and watch Trusova, Zagitova and etc do something she realistically might not physically be capable of matching.

Alina, will her body betray her, and how will she react to having her body dissected in the newspapers if she falters next season like at world's. Her quote "“When I came in first, I felt very, very happy but also kind of empty inside" concerns me.

Honestly for the next stage of their careers, Eteri might not be the best for either skaters. I actually don't mind Eteri that much. I am ok with her being a tough coach and a taskmaster. However, when it comes to health and things like puberty or weight, assuming what Alina said about puberty being an invention, I think Eteri has the old school mentality of no pain no gain and everything bad happens because you're not tough enough. That type of mentality is detrimental to long term health of teenagers. Eteri probably runs her school with an iron fist and probably has no interest in hearing the ideas of a nutritionist and Eteri thinks only she knows what's best for her skaters because look at all the medals.

The other problem I have with Eteri is she throws her former skaters under the bus. Like, that Vogue article sound like blames Lipnitskaya and her mother for her declining skating performance.

Compare how Brian Orser talks about his skaters his role with them, it's night and day.

thank you dude for that insightful detailed and thoughtful post. I too wonder what's going to happen with Zagitova Medvedeva and they're great but difficult coach Eteri.