Is Charlie White a Genius Choreographer? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Charlie White a Genius Choreographer?

I heard someone say, and I agree, that Charlie's choreo for J/C's free skate gives the impression that he had actually looked at his skaters before forming ideas of what to create. I'm not saying he's the only choreographer who does that, but in this program it's particularly noticeable.

I had that impression, too. Charlie looked at the skaters and saw something there. Like Michelangelo looking at a block of marble and saying, all I have to do is chisel away everything that isn't David. :)

About one-hit wonders, don't forget "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies. :rock:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I had that impression, too. Charlie looked at the skaters and saw something there. Like Michelangelo looking at a block of marble and saying, all I have to do is chisel away everything that isn't David. :)

About one-hit wonders, don't forget "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies. :rock:

Charlie is still developing. I don't think he has had enough experience or great programs yet. He is far behind Buttle and Bourne and even further behind Nicol and Wilson not ot mention Zueva and Dubreul and Lauzon et al. Not even as impactful as Morozov at least yet.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
He has, however, created a program that I will always remember, and will go back to watch, and that I associate with the choreographer, as well as the skaters.

As I look back over my favorite programs, there are not many I file that way. None of them are by Morosov. Surprisingly, I do not remember any that are by David Wilson, although I am sure some of his programs must be in my replay list.

J&C's program is on the same shelf with Jason Brown's "River Dance" by Rohene Ward, Keegan Messing's Singing in the Rain by Lance Vipond, Michelle's "East of Eden" by Lori Nichol, and Meryl & Charlie's Giselle Polka SD by Marina Zoueva, where I remember the choreographer equally with the skaters.

So I am hoping he will create more programs with choreography as distinctive as for James and Cipres "Wicked Game."

Last edited:

Bcash

Final Flight
I don't know. Their program this season doesn't appear to be departing from the last two. It's the same pop-rock-cool vibe. They might have matured as skaters and that's why you've come to appreciate their performances more.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know. Their program this season doesn't appear to be departing from the last two. It's the same pop-rock-cool vibe. They might have matured as skaters and that's why you've come to appreciate their performances more.

That may well be the case for you. I've analyzed my "first thoughts," which included increased confidence and experience together, and for me, the changes in J/C are subtler and more complex. I'll assume you've now read my other thoughts in this thread. :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He has, however, created a program that I will always remember, and will go back to watch, and that I associate with the choreographer, as well as the skaters.

As I look back over my favorite programs, there are not many I file that way. None of them are by Morosov. Surprisingly, I do not remember any that are by David Wilson, although I am sure some of his programs must be in my replay list.

J&C's program is on the same shelf with Jason Brown's "River Dance" by Rohene Ward, Keegan Messing's Singing in the Rain by Lance Vipond, Michelle's "East of Eden" by Lori Nichol, and Meryl & Charlie's Giselle Polka SD by Marina Zoueva, where I remember the choreographer equally with the skaters.

So I am hoping he will create more programs with choreography as distinctive as for James and Cipres "Wicked Game."

So do I; and I have a feeling he will!

Michelle / Lori Nichol's "East of Eden." I sigh just thinking of it. Such exquisite beauty; and my favorite version of it is pro competition, with fewer triples.

I would include on my personal list of remembering and linking the choreographer with the skaters, Javi's "Guys and Dolls" FS by David Wilson. And Nathan Chen's "Nemesis" by Shae-Lynne Bourne.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I wasn't impressed by Charlie's (I believe first competitive) choreography for Mura back in 2015-16 but as Mathman put it, the potter and the clay need each other equally. (sorry, no offense to Mura and his fans.) Charlie choreographed for him for two more seasons and also for Jinseo Kim (Mura's teammate) for his SP in 2016-17, with the latter I really liked. Both Charlie and Tanith were credited with the choreo for Angela Wang's FS last season though only Tanith is this season.

I actually really enjoyed Mura's program. I thought the choreography was well done and Mura made progress as a performer with this program.
EDIT: Oh, I just rewatched it, but it's the 2017-18 SP that I liked. :biggrin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4twUII77S5I The choreographer for this one is not listed in his Wiki page.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mura's SP was by Massimo Scali. I checked last season's program by discipline thread.

Takahito Mura JPN
SP2: Farrucas - Zapateado (Flamenco); choreo by Massimo Scali (last season's)
SP1: Too Close by Alex Clare; choreo by Massimo Scali
FS: The Phantom of the Opera soundtrack (2014-15 LP with new/different cuts); choreo by Charlie White

He aldo did:

Yuto Kishina JPN
SP: Danse Macabre by Camille Saint-Saens; choreo by Charlie White, Cathy Reed
FS: The Legend of 1900 (soundtrack) by Ennio Morricone; choreo by Charlie White, Cathy Reed

And

Angela Wang USA
SP: Somewhere Over the Rainbow by E.Y. Warburg, Harold Arlen (last season's program); choreo by Phillip Mills
FS: "Circles" by Greta Svabo Bech; choreo by Tanith Belbin-White and Charlie White

Tina Garabedian & Simon Proulx-Senecal ARM
SD: Rhumba: "Vente Pa' Ca" by Ricky Martin, "Vente Pa' Ca" by Ricky Martin, [Versión Salsa], "La Bomba" by Ricky Martin; choreo by M.-F. Dubreuil (SD)
FD: Romeo & Juliet soundtrack (A Time For Us and the Death of Mercutio and Tybalt) by Nino Rota, and "Old Money" by Lana Del Ray; choreo by Charlie White (FD)

As well.as Zhou's R&J, already mentioned

Last edited:
EDIT: Oh, I just rewatched it, but it's the 2017-18 SP that I liked. :biggrin:.

The LP is fine, too, though, IMHO. I would think that a choreographer has a more luscious palette to work from with a pairs or dance team than (especially) when doing choreography in the men's discipline.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The LP is fine, too, though, IMHO. I would think that a choreographer has a more luscious palette to work from with a pairs or dance team than (especially) when doing choreography in the men's discipline.

Depends on how adventurous and creative the choreographer is. ;)