2019 U. S. Figure Skating Championships | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2019 U. S. Figure Skating Championships

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Question for you, Mathman. Will you be @ Nationals? It would be nice to meet you (& other GS attendees) there, if possible! :biggrin:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yes, because no-one ever skates poorly in practice, or succumbs to nerves on competition day.

If you submit your elements and they include a 6 triple LP and a 3Lz-3T in both programs, you'd think you could land at least one clean 2A or harder jump in any practice or warm-up. Are you saying that isn't always the case?

bobbob

Medalist
The poster I was responding to made it sound like he’d been watching her practice regularly and that she still couldn’t do a 2A or whatever, but didn’t clarify when I asked.

I have no idea how much progress she can realistically make in the two months between Rostelecom and Nats, but I wish her the best.

My words were "I have yet to see her land a clean, non-UR triple jump or double axel". I don't know how that suggests that I have been watching her practice regularly. It just means that from the content online that I have found, she has not landed a triple or double axel. This does not need clarification. Had I been watching her practice regularly, I would have simply said "she cannot (or can) do a 2A and/or triple." It's better not to try to read between the lines.

What really does need clarification are the individuals claiming she can do 3-3s easily now, but have no video footage or even any secondhand sources other than each other.

Based on the state she was at Rostelecom, if she finishes in the top 10 that would be miracle for her. I think a more realistic goal is completing both programs.

bobbob

Medalist
Yes, because no-one ever skates poorly in practice, or succumbs to nerves on competition day.

If you aren't landing them in practice (several different ones), and you aren't landing them in competition, then when are you landing them?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What really does need clarification are the individuals claiming she can do 3-3s easily now, but have no video footage or even any secondhand sources other than each other.

Based on the state she was at Rostelecom, if she finishes in the top 10 that would be miracle for her. I think a more realistic goal is completing both programs.

Just observing the jumps she did attempt, they look problematic from a technical standpoint. She is delaying starting the rotation a bit, but isn't getting any spring in the jumps. Most jumps I saw looked like this. Gracie either needs to get into the rotation faster or get better height on the jumps, and neither of these are overnight fixes. It's really not about the disappointing SP, but rather how the jump execution looked. If she had a minor injury (pulled muscle, blisters, etc.) then that might explain how she could have a competition like that but still be skating well at home.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
^ Question for you, Mathman. Will you be @ Nationals? It would be nice to meet you (& other GS attendees) there, if possible! :biggrin:

You’re going to Nats too? I regret being unable to go. [emoji22] Have a blast for all of us here!

I feel like speculating about Gracie is pointless, as we don’t have enough meaningful data, and she’s free to pursue her comeback at her own pace.

Amei

Record Breaker
Just observing the jumps she did attempt, they look problematic from a technical standpoint. She is delaying starting the rotation a bit, but isn't getting any spring in the jumps. Most jumps I saw looked like this. Gracie either needs to get into the rotation faster or get better height on the jumps, and neither of these are overnight fixes. It's really not about the disappointing SP, but rather how the jump execution looked. If she had a minor injury (pulled muscle, blisters, etc.) then that might explain how she could have a competition like that but still be skating well at home.

handling competition nerves has never been her strong point and based on the extent of the comeback we've seen it's still a problem and now she has the addition of technical problems.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I feel like speculating about Gracie is pointless, as we don’t have enough meaningful data, and she’s free to pursue her comeback at her own pace.

She can comeback at her own pace, but we are allowed to discuss her form respectfully. If you watched her practices, warm-up, and performance in Russia and dismiss all those as meaningless, you may believe she's back to her best. I feel like she'd be in better shape if she were falling on fully-rotated jumps, but that wasn't the case at the time of Rostelecom. Nationals will be step 2 in her comeback, and hopefully she shows improvement from her GP event.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
My words were "I have yet to see her land a clean, non-UR triple jump or double axel". I don't know how that suggests that I have been watching her practice regularly. It just means that from the content online that I have found, she has not landed a triple or double axel. This does not need clarification. Had I been watching her practice regularly, I would have simply said "she cannot (or can) do a 2A and/or triple." It's better not to try to read between the lines.

I know what your words were. They obviously meant something to you that they don’t mean to me.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you submit your elements and they include a 6 triple LP and a 3Lz-3T in both programs, you'd think you could land at least one clean 2A or harder jump in any practice or warm-up. Are you saying that isn't always the case?

You don't think you'd be just a tad more nervous practicing and warming up in front of thousands of eager eyes all just waiting to see you fail so they can gloat?

If you aren't landing them in practice (several different ones), and you aren't landing them in competition, then when are you landing them?

At home, on the practice rink, in a more supportive environment than an open international practice/internationally televised warmup/competition where there are many people with the popcorn out hoping you mess it up?

macy

Record Breaker
have any volunteers heard anything lately? i figured they would want some of us to come down one day to get instructions on what we are doing, but we have 3 weeks left and have heard nothing...

Casual

On the Ice
At home, on the practice rink, in a more supportive environment than an open international practice/internationally televised warmup/competition where there are many people with the popcorn out hoping you mess it up?

It happens.

Way back when in music arts school, I knew a girl who was an outstanding pianist; her interpretation of the music was divine. Unfortunately, the only ones who knew it were her teacher and fellow students - because she FROZE in open rehearsals and competitions, and could never show the world what she could do.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Any idea when the cheap seats will go on sale? I bought the expensive ones for the ladies free, but I want to go to the pairs and mens short the next day as well... I just can't afford the ticket prices for the first section...

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Any idea when the cheap seats will go on sale? I bought the expensive ones for the ladies free, but I want to go to the pairs and mens short the next day as well... I just can't afford the ticket prices for the first section...

I am wondering if they are going to sell upper level tickets for this event. It may just be blocked off.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone tell me how the skating orders are determined?

I asked the US National skate radio guys (which I so hope they bring back) and they said for US Nationals they literally put all the skaters into a hat and draw for short program order.

Of course long program order is determined in groups of 6 by placement in the short program, and I believe they draw within those 6.