2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 745 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Ziotic

Medalist
says who? You? Well, I think that's a little presumptuous and cocky..... :sarcasm: still.... empty words and statements..

btw... She has really good posture and really good crossovers.

With comments like these..... Sometimes it feels like... some people doesn't even bother yourself to watch video first.. before writing the same template messages again and again.

From a technical standpoint she does not have really good crossovers. She bounces her upper body and swings her arm.

She should be able to balance a book on her head while stroking, there should be no oscillating movement when stroking.

Her posture isn’t bad, she has strong core muscles, you can tell by the control she has when moving her arms.

Just because you don’t agree with others opinions doesn’t make yours correct. Also, if there keeps being template messages, maybe it’s because the student Eteri coaches almost all have the same weaknesses that aren’t being addressed.

While I know she’s not age eligible for juniors, you shouldn’t just post a video and think everyone will gush over her as some do. She’s talented, yes, but she doesn’t really present anything that I haven’t seen from a Russian before. Alina and Julia have better spins, Liza better jumps, Alena better SS. If you don’t want an alternative opinion to her skill set then a fan fest would be a better option.

melgirl25

Medalist
Alina is my favorite spinners from the Russians. Gorgeous positions and just the right amount of flexibility. For me, the hyper mobility of Yulia and this girl Kamila freaks me out a little.

sx98423

On the Ice
From a technical standpoint she does not have really good crossovers. She bounces her upper body and swings her arm.

She should be able to balance a book on her head while stroking, there should be no oscillating movement when stroking.

Her posture isn’t bad, she has strong core muscles, you can tell by the control she has when moving her arms.

Just because you don’t agree with others opinions doesn’t make yours correct. Also, if there keeps being template messages, maybe it’s because the student Eteri coaches almost all have the same weaknesses that aren’t being addressed.

While I know she’s not age eligible for juniors, you shouldn’t just post a video and think everyone will gush over her as some do. She’s talented, yes, but she doesn’t really present anything that I haven’t seen from a Russian before. Alina and Julia have better spins, Liza better jumps, Alena better SS. If you don’t want an alternative opinion to her skill set then a fan fest would be a better option.

i don't expect everyone to gush, valid discussion is completely fine. people just expect more than a template comment which suggests that you actually watched the video. and the original comment about posture makes it pretty clear that they didn't.

she might not present anything original for you and that's a valid opinion, no one is preventing you from saying that.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Kamila is wonderful. I really like to watch her. She is very graceful, has nice lines an her spins are purely magical. I also like the concept of her SP a lot.

Her jumps are nice too unless they‘re performed in combo. She always seems to pause a lot and it looks forced when she sort of swings her upper body back to generate the momentum. Maybe that will change once she grows up but for now it‘s not so aesthetically pleasing. I hope they work on that, though.

I personally don‘t mind her posture. There‘s other ladies who have a more pronounced posture problem. For now it‘s not too obvious when she skates, she doesn‘t hunch over too much and it doesn‘t look particularly laboured. However, we‘ve seen before that if you don‘t have strong basics, it might change when you face a growth spurt and look worse then. I think her skating skills aren’t the best and certainly not Alena level but she‘s still very young, they still have time to work on that. Provided that they will, of course, which I‘m not so sure of.

I personally really like Kamila. She‘s certainly my favorite of Eteri‘s new junior trio and I think she has a lot of potential. I could watch her all day but I certainly do see her weaknesses, too and hope she continues to improve and work on them.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Since you mentioned Tchaikovskaya... The following part from a recent Alena K's small interview. I found it very mature for her age and she uses nice vocabulary too.

"Do you have any idol in sport or life?"

"...If you are talking about heroes of the current time, then in first place I will name Elena Anatolievna Tchaikovskaya. She is an outstanding coach, educated a pleiad of well known ahletes. Really a great woman. I'm very happy that I'm training in Eteri Tutberidze's group, who continues the glorius traditions, established by Chaikovskaya. Our school is in avant-garde of development of figure skating not only nationally, but in entire world."

Well. Elena Tchaikovskaya is THE WOMAN. She teaches her student dignity and self-respect first. I remember Butyrskaya being just a shy gray mouse before switching to Tchaikovskaya, although she was a technically strong skater for her time, she could not get a real competitive breakthrough. She was almost quitting back then. But Maria really turned into a beautiful white swan under Tchaikovskaya and was finally able to get her medals, including Worlds title.

Besides I already pointed out in Kostornaya fan thread that we probably need to thank Elena Tchaikovskaya for Alyona's regal command and elegant presence on ice. Tchaikovskaya known for her "balletic" approach in developing and coaching young skaters. Alyona grew up under Zhgun's watch in Tchaikovskaya's school. Zhgun was Alyona's coach in Sambo -70 before, but there is definitely the Tchaikovskaya's influence in all Sambo-70, which obviously made Kostornaya's posture and elegance, because Elena Tchaikovskaya is the one who created this FS developmental program for ladies in Sambo-70 and now it is preached in all divisions of this school. Kostornaya reminds me a lot of Butyrskaya, when she was coached by Tchaikovskaya. Although, gotta admit Kostornaya is better in many ways, hh well, different times, better skates and more sophisticated blades and Alyona was already under Tchaikovskaya at much younger age. Simply put: Tchaikovskaya. That's why we see such an amazingly deep pool of young and upcoming ladies in FS from Russia. CSKA fs program and St Petersburg clans are still producing their share of talents too. but currently they are a bit behind and that shows on competitions. Svetlana Panova (a relatively young coach) and her "panovers" are already slightly better than the old-timers. Panova is giving her students good programs too, which usually are Eteri-esque and Daniil-esque - as edgy and as interesting. CSKA and Petersburg clans are a bit archaic already in terms of interesting transitions combo and choreography, with all due respect of course.

Alyona is right - Sambo-70 is a forefront of figure-skating evolution now. She has a good thing going for her there. We really need to thank Elena Tchaikovskaya for this. I told you guys already Elena Tchaikovskaya is one of the personality whom Eteri really listens to. Eteri is just tip of the spear for elite skaters to achieve highest results, that's where Sambo-70 coaches send all ther perspective young skaters, so they can receive more attention and more personalized approach. Different coaches and groups of Smabo-70 are natural feeders for Eteri. But it is in general Tchaikovskaya's big strategy how to raise strong skaters from very young ages. And it seems to be working - Eteri keeps receiving 'fresh of the boat' groups of strong young skaters every 3-4 years, generation after generation. Elena Tchaikovskaya wants to spread her development program into the regions now, so it won't be limited only to Moscow fs schools. Pool of selection will be even bigger then.

Eteri seems to have a good group going in Sambo-70 on her Khrustalny. They always have 4-5 strong skaters who can easily be the next World and Olympic medalists. They seem to share a workload almost equally among them. And all skaters receiving a big amount of attention and polishing. Daniil already proved himself as an obviously talented choreographer. Dudakov is a phlegmatic and Nordic-calm personality to smoothen things out. Eteri is demanding motivation and disciplinary factor. Rozanov is relatively new addition to the gang, but he looks to be alpha too and big authority for youngsters. I would love to also send Davydov to this group, so they can also have yet another strong jumping coach, but told bad Davydov is probably CSKA-to-the-bone guy. (btw, CSKA has also a football and hockey clubs, which AFAIK have enormous amount of power and fanatical followers across the country. It is like a cult there, so Davydov is probably a hard-die CSKA fan too, he is def not going anywhere, too bad, because with Davydov the gang of Eteri+Sergey+Daniil+Rozanov will simply be unstoppable. For decades.) Eteri and her group (and probably other coaches of Khrustalny) will receive a new training facility in 2 years - 2 ice rinks under one roof and more choreography and dance halls, better and more spacial locker-rooms, more offices and study rooms. More tools and better conditions for her tight team to work on more skaters.

I feel that Tchaikovskaya FS program will soon surprise us with a strong men skaters too. Watch for big surprises from Sambo-70, Eteri&Co will deliver in men's field too in a couple of years (or a bit more). It is usually takes twice longer to raise a strong men skater than lady. I agree with Eteri's "girls are better" (in interview to Ted Barton this year), ladies definitely develop faster and at younger age. It is harder and takes longer to raise a men skater. So we wait.

A friend of mine once told we really need to thank Elena Tchaikovskaya for Ice Dance had been included into Winter Olympic Games. She is basically the one who almost invented Ice Dance to the level of the Olympics and pushed it into competitive direction.

We need another Japanese TV people who needs to go to Sambo-70 school, but not only to Khrustalny, but they also should visit Tchaikovskaya and her ice rink. And start asking questions about Kostornaya and Tchaikovskaya methods and development program.

SkySkater

On the Ice
Kamila is wonderful. I really like to watch her. She is very graceful, has nice lines an her spins are purely magical. I also like the concept of her SP a lot.

Her jumps are nice too unless they‘re performed in combo. She always seems to pause a lot and it looks forced when she sort of swings her upper body back to generate the momentum. Maybe that will change once she grows up but for now it‘s not so aesthetically pleasing. I hope they work on that, though.

It might just be me but I think part of the reason she struggles on the combo especially in the short where she does the lutz toe is because of how she lands the lutz. She seems to land it on a very weird almost outside edge I don't know how to explain it properly which kills her momentum and fluidity going into the second part of the combo.
Dasha Usacheva, SP is lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk9Q2_EKTD8

Really strong skater. She is Olympic eligible, right? And Kamila is not? They are like buddies, aren't they?

What was her score?

I love Dasha she's my favourite of the three Eteri girls that are going junior eligible next year. She's currently being held back by a flutz but her double axel and fluid top line are to die for especially considering the fact that she's only 12.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love Dasha she's my favourit of the three Eteri girls that are going junior eligible next year. She's currently being held back by a flutz but her double axel and fluid top line are to die for especially considering the fact that she's only 12.

She is good. Her casual spread-eagle into big double-axel and immediately back into spread-eagle is my favorite part. :eek:kay:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
The Russian novices/juniors are talented but many of them have a long way to go in the skating skills department. Some people are just too enamoured and start to point fingers whenever they are met with opposing viewpoints but it’s best to keep an open mind to valid criticism in a discussion forum.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I explained why posture relates to skating skills because I knew that if I said “I find bad posture distracting,” the response would be “POSTURE IS IRRELEVANT.” This thread would be great if it didn’t double as a flat-earther society hangout. [emoji849]

None of Eteri’s students have meaningfully developed their skating skills under her coaching (rather, they show signs of deterioration after growth). And as the body becomes taller, lack of proper basics becomes a real issue. The arms should be fully extended, down to the fingers, when performing a cross cut, in order to both help build speed and maintain the body line.

I’m still on Team Kanysheva. Solid basic skating skills and correct edges on the Lutz and the flip. I look forward to seeing her grow as a performer in the next year or two. She could be a threat for 2022, easily.

I don‘t see why that‘s such a bad thing to point out if it‘s.. well, true. I love many of the Eteri skaters, they are among my favorites and I enjoy many of their programs too. That doesn‘t mean that I can‘t see their weaknesses and especially the skating skills and posture are a part that would need more adressing. I think this can be pointed as long as it’s done in a respectful manner.

I‘m with you on Kanysheva. The two Alena K’s are my favorites juniors and Kanysheva has lots of endearing qualities about her that you already mentioned. She sometimes URs, though.

Many girls could be a threat for 2022. If we look at the discussions post 2014 Olympics, I doubt anyone had Zagitova or maybe even Medvedva on their radar as the Olympic girls. A lot can and will change. The 3A are strong but who says they will all make it to the next Olympics? Kamila and co. are the perfect age for the Olympics, I doubt that‘s a coincident. Kanysheva is very young, too and has solid basics. I think she can develop nicely both artistically and technically. But other than that? Who knows. For all we know it could be a skater that‘s now performing at a mediocre level but makes extreme improvements over the next few years. It will certainly be interesting though. So many ladies and only 3 spots.. tough.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
The Russian novices/juniors are talented but many of them have a long way to go in the skating skills department. Some people are just too enamoured and start to point fingers whenever they are met with opposing viewpoints but it’s best to keep an open mind to valid criticism in a discussion forum.

Perhaps. But I dont really see anyone in the world right now who are on par with Russian ladies. Only the Japanese girls are kinda catching up to them recently.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I don‘t see why that‘s such a bad thing to point out if it‘s.. well, true. I love many of the Eteri skaters, they are among my favorites and I enjoy many of their programs too. That doesn‘t mean that I can‘t see their weaknesses and especially the skating skills and posture are a part that would need more adressing. I think this can be pointed as long as it’s done in a respectful manner.
This thread often has a cult-like vibe, in my opinion. Noting an issue in a non-inflammatory way shouldn’t be incitement to scream “Says who? You?” As if posture training bands don’t exist. [emoji23]

Eteri and the Sambo-70 team are very, very good at showcasing the best of their skaters. While I don’t think they’ve developed any skater’s basic skating skills to a truly remarkable level, they do do an excellent job at hiding weaknesses, at least as much as they can. Which is where my deteriorating remark comes in: compare Medvedeva’s WC16 step sequence in the free skate to her WC17 free skate step sequence. Notice how her upper body is being used to complete the turns and her arms are extended in the direction of travel, as if she’s pulling on an invisible rope? It looks far more laboured an effort than just a year prior. Compare Zagitova at the Olympics to Zagitova now. Her posture during crossovers has always been a weaknesses, but that flaw has become much more apparent after her growth spurt, her skating appears much slower and more forced, and she’s using her upper body in the same way Medvedeva did in her last two years as a senior.

I’m not saying that these are irredeemable flaws or that they can’t be corrected. They are, to me, a visible deterioration in skill — and not especially aesthetically pleasing flaws, in that the use of the upper body to complete turns distracts from the performance for me. (Medvedeva and Zagitova also have stiffer knees than in their first senior years.)

As for Sasha, yes, she’s fine. Her edges during steps are clear and she’s quite fast. I’m not sure how well she’ll manage a change in height, which is when — in my opinion — there seems to be a visible regression in skill. I am not hoping for that outcome. It is something that concerns me because it seems to be something of a pattern. It is not an iron-clad law. I would be quite pleased to be wrong, but only time will tell. Especially since it’s clear that Sambo-70 is more focused on challenging new technical elements and landing clean run-throughs than edge classes. Which is fine. It’s a coaching choice. There aren’t, frankly, as many points in skating skills as there are in a clean quad jump. It’s not my preference, as I feel artistry is built on good technique in all aspects and that good technique enables artistry, but I don’t recall implying anyone had to hold my opinions.

(Also, I love Zagitova. The way she flicks her hand when landing a jump as if tossing it off to the audience is eminently rewatchable, especially in her DQ free.)

I‘m with you on Kanysheva. The two Alena K’s are my favorites juniors and Kanysheva has lots of endearing qualities about her that you already mentioned. She sometimes URs, though.
Almost everyone URs, to be fair, at least occasionally and especially toward the end of programmes. But if it becomes a chronic issue, I’ll be concerned. We have the same juniors, however. Kostornaia has simply phenomenal skating skills and an innate sense of music, a refinement on the ice, and I can’t wait to see her senior programmes. (I would love if she was able to revisit Adios Nonino. Tangos are tricky but Kostornaia has an excellent feel for tango.) And Kanysheva is just charming. Tarakanova, also — she has a certain “it” factour.

I have no crystal ball as far as Beijing is concerned. May the best lady win.

rachno2

Record Breaker
As for Sasha, yes, she’s fine. Her edges during steps are clear and she’s quite fast. I’m not sure how well she’ll manage a change in height, which is when — in my opinion — there seems to be a visible regression in skill. I am not hoping for that outcome. It is something that concerns me because it seems to be something of a pattern. It is not an iron-clad law.

To be fair, Sasha has already grown a lot in this season alone (to the extent that she has gone through multiple costumes), and she seems to be improving in all aspects, at least in my eyes. I wouldn’t be surprised if she proved an exception to the general pattern and kept her jumps.

Alena K (both of them) and Nastya T are my favorite juniors, too.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Eteri and the Sambo-70 team are very, very good at showcasing the best of their skaters. While I don’t think they’ve developed any skater’s basic skating skills to a truly remarkable level, they do do an excellent job at hiding weaknesses, at least as much as they can.

Alyona is humbly coughing now. ;)

sx98423

On the Ice
whole post.

well if you put it this way, it sounds pretty reasonable, and i'd even agree to some extent. i just find that a lot of the times when SS and posture is brought up in relation to certain skaters, the purpose isn't to have an actual discussion but to question the validity of their achievements.

with regards to alina's posture, that actually is one of the things i hope will get better over time. it wasn't distracting for me but i definitely noticed it at the start of the season, i think her tutu's last season did a good job of covering it up. personally i feel like her posture and speed has gotten better over this season especially when i watch her practices but idk if it actually has or if i'm just imagining it. either way i'm sure it's something they're aware of and working on. i don't think any coach has the intention of teaching their students bad skating skills/posture

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
She had them before going rob Eteri.

Alyona is SAMBO-70. Hello? Alyona was raised under Tchaikovskaya's figure-skating developmental program in Sambo-70 school. Under Eteri and Daniil Alyona only got better. Polished. Her jumps become more consistent. She started getting better and edgy programs since the move last year. Eteri is an elite group of Sambo-70. They pick most talented ones from their system (and sometimes from provinces, like Lipnitskaya and Trusova) and start polishing them. Lipnitskaya got better under Eteri. Trusova is getting there. Bottom line is the vast majority Eteri's skaters are Eteri's students from the very young ages or Sambo-70 products anyways. We discussed that many times here already.

Like I said currently in the world there is no better figure-skating program than Sambo-70 (courtesy of the great Tchaikovskaya). Few other Moscow and St Petersburg groups are being close seconds. Japanese coaches and their young skaters are rapidly closing the gap though. Our North American coaches are not even in the conversation. Facts.