2018-2019 US Ice Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 US Ice Dance

lurkz2

On the Ice
Per Eliana Gropman's new Instagram post yesterday, she will be attending University of Michigan for the next four years. Congratulations to her. :bow:

Non-judgmental comment:
It strikes me that her application to U Mich (as well as applications to any other schools on her wish list) would have been submitted months ago. Giving me a slightly different perspective on the end of the Gropman/Somerville partnership. Now it is more "thinkable" to me that perhaps(?????) both partners already had been giving thought (reasonably so) as to how/whether the partnership would/could/should continue indefinitely​

Isn't U Mich where Charlie and Meryl were/are enrolled? That school has been proven to be compatible with a career in ice dancing.​

larat

On the Ice
It only means that she was considering to continue skating. UMich is a great school and on the list of the most ice dancers. She may have applied to otehr schools closer to home as well.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Now it is more "thinkable" to me that perhaps(?????) both partners already had been giving thought (reasonably so) as to how/whether the partnership would/could/should continue indefinitely at WISA.

Originally Posted by ice coverage
Per Eliana Gropman's new Instagram post yesterday, she will be attending University of Michigan for the next four years. Congratulations to her.

Non-judgmental comment:
It strikes me that her application to U Mich (as well as applications to any other schools on her wish list) would have been submitted months ago. Giving me a slightly different perspective on the end of the Gropman/Somerville partnership. Now it is more "thinkable" to me that perhaps(?????) both partners already had been giving thought (reasonably so) as to how/whether the partnership would/could/should continue indefinitely​

Isn't U Mich where Charlie and Meryl were/are enrolled? That school has been proven to be compatible with a career in ice dancing.​

LOL, you have misrepresented my thought by omitting two key words of my sentence.

What I actually wrote (emphasis added): " … how/whether the partnership would/could/should continue indefinitely at WISA."

(I did not suggest that U Mich would be incompatible with a career in ice dancing. I do not think that it is incompatible.)

… She may have applied to otehr schools closer to home as well.

Which is why I wrote (emphasis added):

… It strikes me that her application to U Mich (as well as applications to any other schools on her wish list) would have been submitted months ago. …

The point is that if(??) Eliana envisioned even the possibility of continuing the partnership while studying several states away from WISA, then continuing the partnership would have required her partner also to leave WISA and relocate. And who knows how he would have felt about doing so???

For me, it has become less clear as to whether the end of the partnership was the abrupt result of a unilateral decision by only one partner. For me, the end of the partnership no longer seems as simple as that.

(And yes, I do think that U Mich is a great school. :) Hope Eliana has a great four years there.)​

Lulu39

Rinkside
:agree:

Spot on. Just because they're training at the same facilities doesn't necessarily mean they'd have the right kind of chemistry. Chemistry is just so unpredictable.

But I bet Mr Parsons is probably feeling quite popular at the moment, given the lack of quality male skaters in ID.

I am just praying for Michael to find someone really great. Great skater. Nice kid too.

Does anyone know whatever happened to Alex Gamelin?

oly2018

Final Flight
Michael seems to be taking a break for now, so who knows if he intends to even come back on the scene with a new partner this year. He may wait it out and weigh his options. If he waits and uses the comeback clause in a year or so, him and his new partner would be guaranteed a gp spot (that's if I understand that rules).

BUT, I also wonder if some of these younger teams who recently split look at the current US field and wonder if it is worth the time and expense to continue at an elite level. I would imagine it is really difficult to mesh with a new partner after skating with someone else for most of your career.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Michael seems to be taking a break for now, so who knows if he intends to even come back on the scene with a new partner this year. He may wait it out and weigh his options. If he waits and uses the comeback clause in a year or so, him and his new partner would be guaranteed a gp spot (that's if I understand that rules).

BUT, I also wonder if some of these younger teams who recently split look at the current US field and wonder if it is worth the time and expense to continue at an elite level. I would imagine it is really difficult to mesh with a new partner after skating with someone else for most of your career.

Well it does take time to gel as a partnership. At least 4 years or so, from what I've seen. On the other hand, ice dancers tend to have the longest careers of all skaters, particularly now since there really aren't the plethora of professional opportunities for American ice dancers as there were, say, a generation ago. A long-term view would be very helpful, I imagine. And patience. Results generally don't come quickly in ID.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
re: Eliana Gropman - at least if she does decide to keep skating, she'll always have Igor and Pasquale not too far away and I'm sure Igor would be able to find someone for her?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Well it does take time to gel as a partnership. At least 4 years or so, from what I've seen. On the other hand, ice dancers tend to have the longest careers of all skaters, particularly now since there really aren't the plethora of professional opportunities for American ice dancers as there were, say, a generation ago. A long-term view would be very helpful, I imagine. And patience. Results generally don't come quickly in ID.

There were never a plethora of professional opportunities for American ice dancers. There are far more U.S. dance teams on tour right now than ever were before.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I heard that Chen is with Katarina. :confused:

From ISU Tea Time Foxtrot seminar, a group photo (very nice) showing those who are participating.

The seminar was held primarily for skaters/coaches/officials from U.S. and Canada; "also open to other ISU Members in the “Four Continents” Region."

*Unclear* whether partners were told to pose together. If not, also unclear whether they instinctively did so anyway, but …

FWIW, Howard Zhao is next to someone who looks like Layla Karnes??? I think???

FWIW, Jeffrey Chen is next to Wolfkostin, and he has his arm around her in partner-like fashion.​

I am just praying for Michael to find someone really great. Great skater. Nice kid too. ...

:pray: :agree: Michael is the nicest, and I love his skating.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That's a great photo. Thanks!

(Zhao just updated his ice partner search profile on April 19th so I would guess he's still looking and/or in the tryout stage of finding a partner).

Apr 15, it says?
But yes, I should try to be patient and not indulge too much in wishful thinking.

Meanwhile, could it be that Livvy Shilling has switched to ice dance??? And has formed a partnership with Alexander Petrov???

Lulu39

Rinkside
I heard Maxwell Gart is now with Anya Lovrova.
Delcamp is with Somerville.
I will be very interested to see what these teams can do this year. Good luck!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I heard Maxwell Gart is now with Anya Lovrova.
Delcamp is with Somerville.
I will be very interested to see what these teams can do this year. Good luck!

Lavrova & Gart are confirmed. (There was a link to a post from them on FSU).

Can anyone confirm that DelCamp is with Somerville? I read that it was rumored, and it seems plausible; but I haven't seen confirmation yet.

Lutzlvr

Rinkside
Shilling and Petrov could look good...she may need time to learn how to partner/transition to dance but I’m glad to see that we’ll get a new team! It’s been a crazy start to the season with skaters choosing to move on/ no longer skate :sad4:

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I'm sure this has already been posted on here somewhere but I thought I'd add it to this thread anyway!

Hubbell and Donohue Interview

Glad to see that they are willing to trust the process a bit more and let their programmes grow more organically.

They go on to say that they likely won't do US Classic this year as they'd like more time to prepare for their GPs. I was quite confused by Zach however when he says:

"I think that’s one of the things that our teammates have over us is more time to prepare and train. Their season doesn’t really start until the Grand Prix season or even just before."

Given that last year 4/6 top US teams went to Senior Bs early on and 2 teams had to pull out of theirs due to injury? And H/D are obviously one of THREE teams that have a longer season due to Worlds (and I'm not counting WTT here because it's two weeks later and they left much richer than the other teams that they're up against internally). I'm sure he meant nothing by the comment but it just griped me a bit thats all!