Koshiro Shimada | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Koshiro Shimada

ime

Rinkside
I wonder usually when would the host decide the host pick? before the GP serials begin, or after it? Anyway he defiantly need a good start to begin his first senior season, in order to get the NHK pick..... Well, I believe that our boy can do it!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder usually when would the host decide the host pick? before the GP serials begin, or after it? Anyway he defiantly need a good start to begin his first senior season, in order to get the NHK pick..... Well, I believe that our boy can do it!

September is usually the deadline I believe. It would be posted somewhere on the ISU website.

Tsurara

On the Ice
The more he needs a nice result to have a chance for the 2nd GP assignment... I believe the NHK spot waits for him :pray:
I'm probably being a bit too pessimistic as a fan, but I don't expect to see him at NHK for now, at least not just yet. I mean, I do expect him to do great at Skate America and I'll be praying for him and all, but not to the point of hoping him to podium there, yet. (but who knows :slink: I'd appreciate it if he proves me wrong! but I don't want to pressure him too much in his first senior year.)
It depends on how well he does or others do, firstly at their Senior Camp in mid-July, and secondly his results in Skate America. If he has a chance - even slightly like just 1% - to advance to GPF, then I do believe he will get NHK without a problem. Otherwise, I'm afriad JSF wants to give the spot to someone else. That said, they probably don't know yet either until they check out all the candidates at the camp. There are several of them, including Daisuke Takahashi, who publicly stated that he'd like to try to take part in the Worlds this season last month, and he currently has no GPS spot).

icetug

Medalist
I'm probably being a bit too pessimistic as a fan, but I don't expect to see him at NHK for now, at least not just yet. I mean, I do expect him to do great at Skate America and I'll be praying for him and all, but not to the point of hoping him to podium there, yet.

Right. Skate America is a difficult field and I don't expect Koshiro at a podium (on the other hand, in the beginning of the season everything is possible ;)). But there are no many skaters to take the NHK spot. Certainly, Daisuke can get it if he's ready to compete in the first half of the season, but I don't think he takes part in the camp in mid July as he's been preparing his great show. So there is only Mitsuki Sumoto who can get the spot as I believe the rest of juniors stay junior next season. But of course its just my assumption and JFed. can do anything. Just wish Koshiro a strong senior debut :).

ime

Rinkside
There are several of them, including Daisuke Takahashi, who publicly stated that he'd like to try to take part in the Worlds this season last month, and he currently has no GPS spot).

Daisuke goes to world........OMG.......this possibility freaks me out a little bit , since he is basically as the same age as Steph, Koshiro’s coach .......

Talking about the NHK..I think the JSF gets to decide it before the GPs begin.....So instead of the result of SA(which is important for sure cause it is Koshiro’s senior As debut), it may more depends on the senior and all Japan camp, and earlier Bs........ But still, he needs to be in a really really good shape at the start of the season to have a slight chance...

To be honest, considering his age, he can theoretically remain in Junior for another two years if he wants.... since the team chooses to move to senior this year and faces a lot more challenges, I won’t (and to be honest, shouldn’t) expect that everything will go perfectly smooth..... I hope he can get another assignment for his first GPs, but if it doesn’t end up happening, it is alright and I will just finger cross he will do well in SA (and probably let JSF regret about their decision[emoji23])

the things like “facing a brutal field in SA and JP national” .....well that is the whole point of moving to senior, isn’t it [emoji23]? Like Dima and Deniss( my another two favorites) , they moves to Senior at a relative earlier year (esp for Deni who theoretically can still do Junior last season [emoji23]) Their senior trips, (which include both the highlights in 1718 season and the hardship in last season) makes them become mature both as a skater and as a person....... Next season’s result is important, since JP is such a competitive field that you need to do extremely well in order to get the chances of competing, but what’s more important is to get more experience, keeping growing and moving forward , getting prepare for.....let’s dream big, 2022’s Olympic in Beijing

Tsurara

On the Ice
島田高志郎 高難度4回転ルッツ成功「将来的に組み込みたい」
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/07/15/kiji/20190715s00079000323000c.html
Koshiro Shimada succeeded in 4Lz, wanting to have it (in his program) in the future (= not yet, for now)
July 15, Monday by Sponichi Annex

<Team Japan FS Senior Camp> Koshiro Shimada practicing jumps under Stephane Lambiel's coaching
(Photo taken by Yutaka Nagakubo)

Figure Skating Team Japan opened their intensive camp to the public on July 15th at Ice Arena of Chukyo University in Toyota, Aichi. Koshiro Shimada (17 yrs old, Kinoshita Group) revealed that he had succeeded in 4Lutz. "I landed one this summer, completely clean," he said and told us of the outlook that he would like to have one (in his programs) if/when it becomes stable in the future.

When Briand Ghislain, who coaches two-time Olympic champion, Yuzuru Hanyu, visited Switzerland where Shimada trains, he succeeded in 4Lz. After receiving the last mental advice from Coach Ghislain (after some physical advice), saying "I know you can land it next time," he made it.

Regarding this season, "3A is quite stable and I have 2 of them in my program. I'm working hard to make 4T and 4S stable too," Shimada said with confidence. His SP is "Stay" by Oliver Tompsett. The choreographer is a Canadian female dancer whom he got to know through Stephane Lambiel's connections. His Free is "Artist", the one the departed Denis Ten once used and it is choreographed by Coach Lambiel.

Tsurara

On the Ice
Small update:
Koshiro will be training at the senior camp till 16th, and then he goes back to his hometown, to meet the local governor of Ehime prefecture on July 19th and to receive some kind of honorary award, called "Ehime's Culture and Sports Award". (Nothing too big and very many local athletes have received it before. It's sort of a customary award for top athletes who are from Ehime, this local government just loves giving this award away and they of course couldn't leave Koshiro alone either!) I'm expecting to see some local news covering him soon too.

icetug

Medalist
Koshiro has been invited to Carnival on Ice organized together with Japan Open - so he will join Stephane and Deniss who were invited earlier. Moreover he is assigned to Nebelhorn Trophy - it will be his first challenger :hap10:.

Tsurara

On the Ice
Koshiro got the NHK spot!
[and I had my hopes based only on Stephane's words that he would be coming to Japan every months this year :laugh:]
:clap: You got it right! Yes, I should probably pay more attention to what Stephane says...:bow:
I guess Koshiro did extremely well at the senior camp and I'm extremely happy.

Speaking of the senior camp, Uni-san has uploaded the senior camp segment of Fuji's figure skate tv.

Ehime Prefecture also uploaded an official video of him and the governor at the Prefectural government office the other day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yhv7nHUU_U

Tsurara

On the Ice
Fuji TV's interview with Koshiro at Senior Camp (in July, but the video was released in August)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h5fxUbTEPc

Q: How's your condition now?

For now, I'm considerably but gradually getting myself into gear, and I've had really good training. Since I'm back in Japan, I also got this great opportunity to train and practice with Japan's great top skaters at this Senior Camp, and I'm very grateful about it.

Q: Your thoughts on joining the Senior Camp?

What I can feel from it is, how should I put it? Everything? It's supportive, it offers both technical and mental sustenance. Especially mentally, when I see others jumping many quads, it motivates me and builds up a sense of rivalry, like, I gotta make it too! And it really... even when I'm exhausted out physically, I find it so fulfilling mentally.

Q: Who in particular are you watching/paying attention to?

Well, it's been such a long time since the last time I practiced together with Yamamoto Sota kun. It's been really long, like since the Youth Olympic days (2016 Lillehammer). We're training together on the same ice for the first time in a long while. His quads, the fluidity of his skating, and such. I'm conscious of those qualities of his, as expected, and it (watching him) helps a lot.

Q: How do you feel about your senior debut?

I'm of course anxious about it and I'm also motivated, but for the moment, I'm fully occupied with day-to-day training/practice. Even before coming back to Japan too, I was pushing myself to the very limit, like doing my Free's run-throughs many times, and the off-ice training I was doing was extremely tough. I have no time to think about anxiety or fun, but just trying to get through each day now.

Q: How about your training during off-season?

I've been really trying to improve my skills to reach senior level. Even after joining this camp, I'm still finding so many things that I lack. So, I'd like to improve them now.

Q: What is your weapon?

Expression is of course one of those that I'd like to develop and keep in my arsenal in my whole skating life. As for jumps, my 3A has gotten stable enough that I can now put one in the second half of the program, and I hope it's going to be a bit of an advantage.

Q: About your new programs

Short is "Stay" by Oliver Tompsett san. It's a very sad song, wishing for hope, and what's more, it's about romantic love, there is some expression of love. It's a very mature music, very suitable for senior. Free is "Artist", I'm using the one Denis Ten san was using.

The choreography for the Short is by a Canadian dancer. As she does not skate, I create some on ice while she creates some on land, and we combine them together on ice to complete this choreo. So, it's quite... well, I haven't managed to perform to bring out the best of it yet, but as I run through the program many more times from now on, I'm sure it'll become a great one.

Q: What's the name of the Canadian dancer?

Um, her name is Sara san, (either he can't remember her last name well? or can't come up with its Japanese pronunciation/equivalent name? some laughter for not being able to say it) but really, she's connected to Stephane. I/we get to know her through Stephane's 'Art on Ice', the one that Stephane was working on in Switzerland.

Q: Is it Stephane sensei who decided to use this dancer?

We've had her in Switzerland quite often for dance lessons, as part of training. When I couldn't decide whom to ask for the choreo for my Short, I saw Deniss Vasiljevs, my team mate, Deniss-kun, having his program choreographed by her, before I asked her. And I wanted to try the same and I asked Stephane (to ask her).

Q: Do you feel any difference from figure skating choreography?

There are things that you cannot do on ice. It's very difficult to express the things you can do on land but cannot do on ice, and (we) created it while struggling with that. How should I call it, the movements of arms/hands, or as such, are not really something you see in figure skating. You have a bit more freedom when dancing on land, I think, and I've been practicing some eligible forms to utilize such movements on ice.

Q: Free's Choreographer?

I asked Stephane to choreograph my Free. It was just the other day, the first year anniversary of Denis Ten san's death. A year has passed and I'm sure hearing of "Artist" would remind a lot of people of Denis Ten san. I can't wrap up my performance so beautifully as he did yet, but I'm very confident that the choreo is great and it can entertain a viewing audience with its step sequence and chore sequence. I'd like to deliver it to make it the highlights of the program.

Q: What did you learn from Stephane sensei?

There are just too many things to list what changed and what I learned from him, but for me, let's see, perhaps there are considerably more things regarding private life that I learned from him, than skating. Like how to live as an athlete, what to pay attention to, how to build up mind and mentality, and so on. Those things I'm learning from Stephane are great inspirations for me in preparation for senior, I think.

Q: Your goal for the new season?

I'll try to hang on and make a desperate try to keep up with the top senior skaters. I'm really a challenger trying to climb up from the lowest bottom, and there is nothing for me to lose nor to be afraid of. I'd like to go aggressively and challenge myself.