Jason Brown | Page 689 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know we all know Jason is a people pleaser, and without a doubt likes to make folks happy:)

But this is a summer comp. And not even one of the ones that “count”. Skaters drop out of summer comps all the time. Jason did Broadmoor a favor and entered even the jump contest when he trained in Colorado, (I remember reading an article somewhere about how he was asked and did so to be nice, even though it wasn’t his forté) but geographically it makes little sense now.

Maximizing time with TCC coaches should be his first priority. As much as I would love for him to make an appearance for those who could stop by:yes:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I know we all know Jason is a people pleaser, and without a doubt likes to make folks happy:)

But this is a summer comp. And not even one of the ones that “count”. Skaters drop out of summer comps all the time. Jason did Broadmoor a favor and entered even the jump contest when he trained in Colorado, (I remember reading an article somewhere about how he was asked and did so to be nice, even though it wasn’t his forté) but geographically it makes little sense now.

Maximizing time with TCC coaches should be his first priority. As much as I would love for him to make an appearance for those who could stop by:yes:

Well...ordinarily I’d agree, but this is the Peggy Fleming Trophy, not just the Broadmoor Open. Peggy Fleming was there last year, and my sense is that USFS is somehow involved. I kind of can’t imagine he would schlep all the way back to CS for this at this point unless he was asked to. He would boost prestige of the event. I could totally be wrong but that’s just what makes sense to me. Also, for him, it could be a confidence building thing - I’m really good at this. Etc.

Anyway, it doesn’t seem likely he’ll make it.

Bookseller, it’s not quite as simple as adding another jump or spin. I think the program is 30 seconds longer than a SP or the average exhibition program, and 30 seconds shorter than a FS. So if you’re using an old program like say last year’s SP, you have cut (or in this case add) music and then rework the choreo so it fits the music (especially important bc this is an artistic comp). That would take some time. I’m sure if he’s been planning to go it’s already done, though.

It was lovely to see him stroking in that class. So much power and flow.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well...ordinarily I’d agree, but this is the Peggy Fleming Trophy, not just the Broadmoor Open. Peggy Fleming was there last year, and my sense is that USFS is somehow involved. I kind of can’t imagine he would schlep all the way back to CS for this at this point unless he was asked to. He would boost prestige of the event. I could totally be wrong but that’s just what makes sense to me. Also, for him, it could be a confidence building thing - I’m really good at this. Etc.

Anyway, it doesn’t seem likely he’ll make it.

Bookseller, it’s not quite as simple as adding another jump or spin. I think the program is 30 seconds longer than a SP or the average exhibition program, and 30 seconds shorter than a FS. So if you’re using an old program like say last year’s SP, you have cut (or in this case add) music and then rework the choreo so it fits the music (especially important bc this is an artistic comp). That would take some time. I’m sure if he’s been planning to go it’s already done, though.

It was lovely to see him stroking in that class. So much power and flow.

Good point! He was working with Rohene before he went to China, so they could have worked on that if he was actually planning to go. I agree that his China sojourn is valuable on so many levels, so it does hardly seem worth it. But what keeps niggling at the back of my mind is that if he wasn't planning to go, he would tell them. On the other hand, maybe he did tell them and they are not publicizing his absence. The organizers know that he's in China and they don't know if he can make it. so maybe they do know, but don't want to say right now. Who knows? The stroking class was a joy to watch. Jason is SO good at that.

No matter what happens in the next couple of years, the experiences that he has been having since joining the TCC training group, are so very valuable. I am so happy that he's doing all the things that he's been doing, becoming closer to some really amazing skaters and just experiencing all of it. It was such a great decision on his part and TCCs! I expect another incredible year for him and can't wait to be able to see where he goes and what he does.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason. Stroking. :agree: keep your mega bazooka jumps, I could watch that all day:love:

If USFS is involved, maybe Jason will make it back. We always thought the Peggy Fleming completely was tailor made for Jason, and then he fooled us all and moved:laugh: I’d be happy to see him compete there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So I contacted Broadmoor. He is scheduled for Peggy Fleming on Friday night but they are aware he’s in China and don’t know if he’ll make it.

Thanks for nailing down that it would be PFT, if anything, for Jason.

Well...ordinarily I’d agree, but this is the Peggy Fleming Trophy, not just the Broadmoor Open. Peggy Fleming was there last year, and my sense is that USFS is somehow involved. I kind of can’t imagine he would schlep all the way back to CS for this at this point unless he was asked to. He would boost prestige of the event. I could totally be wrong but that’s just what makes sense to me. Also, for him, it could be a confidence building thing - I’m really good at this. Etc. ...

And yes :agree:, Peggy Fleming was very involved in PFT last year (its first year), giving individual attention to each entrant in the competition.

Only in the realm of *speculation*, but if(???) he had been actively invited this year … maybe(???) in Jason's case, it would not be unthinkable that it might have been an invitation extended personally by Peggy Fleming herself??? (As opposed to an organizer other than PF.) And if so, an invitation that he would have been honored to accept??

Also … the cynical side of me :devil: thinks it is possible that Jerry Solomon would have been happy for Jason to enter. And even with little preparation, likely to medal and/or to win. Would not hurt for Jason (esp. as medalist/winner) to be photographed with Peggy Fleming, and for an article after PFT perhaps to include a quote from her about his skating. Would be nice little feathers to have in Jason's cap as the new season gets underway.

Anyway .. if Jason competes, good luck to him. :)
If not, that's fine too.

If he does in fact compete at PFT, his trip to Colorado Springs also would be an opportunity to check in with OTC staff (medical, etc.) in support of his training.
Champs Camp will be at Great Park Ice this year, so he will not be returning to Colorado then.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Jason. Stroking. :agree: keep your mega bazooka jumps, I could watch that all day:love:

If USFS is involved, maybe Jason will make it back. We always thought the Peggy Fleming completely was tailor made for Jason, and then he fooled us all and moved:laugh: I’d be happy to see him compete there.

Me, too, although if I recall last year there was a stupid traffic jam or accident, and a trip that should take less than hour took like 2-1/2. :(

Bookseller, I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right and they already know he’s not coming but don’t want to reveal it. In a way I’ll be relieved if he doesn’t. This week work is more than usually busy, so the idea of ending it with a long drive during rush hour isn’t super appealing. :)

ETA Good points, ice coverage.

Ross74

Medalist

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not about Jason, but newly published today is an ISU video of Ted Barton interviewing Tracy Wilson at Worlds. It's on the ISU JGP channel.

Well there is a starting order for PFT and Jason’s on it:

https://twitter.com/camden2000325/status/1144247271107833858?s=21

Thx, Mrs. P.

My gut is that if Jason knew he couldn't be there, he would have withdrawn by now.

The number of 2019 entries is limited to eighteen, and the Announcement does mention a waiting list.
(Last year, the PFT starting order had 28 skaters, so I imagine that this year, demand for spots exceeded supply.)

Good luck to Jason. :) Curious to hear about (and hopefully see video of :pray:) his PFT program.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well I’m excited and cautiously optimistic, but I’ll believe it when I see it b:)

Although if he's dealing with jet lag and the altitude...:drama:

Official practice is scheduled for today so if he’s not there hopefully someone will report that.

ETA this Twitter account is posting info. She seems to be a skater located in CS and said she’ll be cheering for Jason. So maybe he’s there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/zucchilles

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, I could be wrong and we could have a treat:yay: (although not for folks who need to majorly jerk their schedule around :biggrin:

Do skaters have coaches for the PFT? I can’t imagine anyone from TCC will be there to put Jason on the ice, not that he needs it for this comp. Is Doug Ladret still coaching? Or maybe Ro will show up?;)

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Wow, I could be wrong and we could have a treat:yay: (although not for folks who need to majorly jerk their schedule around :biggrin:

Do skaters have coaches for the PFT? I can’t imagine anyone from TCC will be there to put Jason on the ice, not that he needs it for this comp. Is Doug Ladret still coaching? Or maybe Ro will show up?;)

Doug is still coaching but not sure if he would put Jason on the ice. I guess we’ll see!

The lineup actually looks quite competitive. It’s not gonna be a slam dunk for Jason by any means.

Ross74

Medalist

Good question. There have been coaches there when I've been there, but not all, I'm sure. The skaters I was paying attention to in the past were mostly from Co Springs and Texas, and those coaches were definitely there. In addition to Jason, I'd also be interested in who would be with Courtney and Ben.

ETA: Does Josh have coaching credentials? :) ;)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Good question. There have been coaches there when I've been there, but not all, I'm sure. The skaters I was paying attention to in the past were mostly from Co Springs and Texas, and those coaches were definitely there. In addition to Jason, I'd also be interested in who would be with Courtney and Ben.

ETA: Does Josh have coaching credentials? :) ;)

Not sure, but Kori may still be in Monument. She was teaching at Air Force Academy rink for awhile. I think bc her kids were in school. But I’ve seen pix of Ben, Sonja, and Courtney hanging out together in CS so maybe they have new coaches - just not sure.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Josh and Jason together again:sad21: That would be worth attending:agree:

I have also been wondering who is training Ben J and Courtney, I don't "follow" them, but I check in on their social media every once in a while, and have not seen any clues. I'm pretty sure Kori has moved to Nashville permanently, the last promotion for the Scott HamiltonSA mentioned how she was "finally" there, implying she was no longer going back and forth. At least in Pennsylvania, her girls would be out of school by the time of that promo:)

And Jordan is at a show in England, which is pretty cool.:cool:

OK, enough of old home week, Jason what are you doing?:laugh:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I hope you can go. :)

Thanks! I’m going to try to make it if I can adjust my work schedule. And deal with the traffic. Even if Jason isn’t there, there are a lot of other good competitors and it’s an interesting concept.