Best I-spin? Male and female skaters | Golden Skate

Best I-spin? Male and female skaters

billo999x

Spectator
Found an interesting youtube video: https://youtu.be/woBz0PY4w-8
I-spins by various skaters.

What do you see as important to a good one? (Speed, aesthetic lines, centreing)

For me the straightness of the body makes it beautiful. So the flexibility matters. But maybe i’m thinking too much in terms of dance/art rather than athleticism!

Cool video.

I agree with the straight body criterion.

Was Sasha Cohen the first to incorporate this move into her routines? I remember that commentator Dick Button used to criticize this position -- the only position Sasha ever hit that Button didn't think was exquisite -- because she could not do it with a straight back. It seems to be one of those flexibility moves that only children can do properly.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
wow, I thought Sasha's was good until I saw this video. The straight back really does complete it and it looks gorgeous. I am shocked Sasha couldn't do it as flexible as she was.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I've always been partial to Fleur Maxwell and Soyoun's I-spin. There's fluidity and a sense of ease when they do it.

Amei

Record Breaker
I like this spin, I much prefer the version when the skater takes their leg straight up vs. the bend knee then extending their leg which cheats the move a bit, it's much more difficult to raise your leg straight vs. a bent leg.

lizardlass

On the Ice
Everyone in that video is so good. Bradie has a really nice one, too. (I was also gonna say Alissa, but then checked this video and realized that wasn't an I-spin...just another kind of awesome spin...)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
For me Mao's and Czisny's were the most aesthetically appealing. And Yulia's had the most 'wow' effect, but I didn't find them as beautiful to watch.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I hate I spins for the most part. Usually skaters have awful facial expressions while doing them and they are just ugly. There are a few skaters that can get the straight back and have the free leg sort of tucked to the side rather than in front. But most skaters look like they are struggling holding onto their foot for dear life. I guess it's not the spin so much as 90% of the executions of the spin that irritate me.

(I was also gonna say Alissa, but then checked this video and realized that wasn't an I-spin...just another kind of awesome spin...)

Y-spin? But a really straight up and down one. :yes:

I think this is also called a Martini Spin? (Sweeping out the shape of a Martini glass as you go around. But not to be confused with the Pole Dance move of the same name.:) )

But most skaters look like they are struggling holding onto their foot for dear life. I guess it's not the spin so much as 90% of the executions of the spin that irritate me.

I agree with this observation. The majority of skaters who try this move seem to be muscling their leg up by grabbing and pulling, rather than as a natural elevation of the leg. I think that is why it looks so cool when the few stars do it who have the flexibility actually to get a respectable vertical split without manhandling themselves into it.

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/fashion/daily/2016/07/21/21-tiler-peck-nyc-ballet-solo.w710.h473.jpg

Last edited:
Kamila Valieva's spin is unusual and beautiful...

Very unusual and cool the way she kind of unfolds her leg into the proper position. :love:

She's 13, right? I wonder if she will still be able to do that when she is 14.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^Let's hope so... she has a dancer's body I think, long legs, arms, slim torso, so would fingers-crossed, carry her lines into maturity... she is one to watch
My apologies Mathman!! I intended to respond to your quote directly

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Kamila Valieva's spin is unusual and beautiful but that Biellman is exquisite ...

Yeah, really great. Its a hyper-extended Biellman or with this legs and hands position you can even call it I-Biellman (its basically both Biellman and I-spin in one). Yulia Lipnitskaya and Caroline Zhang were great in it too in recent years.