2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
considering their season last year... FMP may be done... they are not on the next gen team anymore... so who knows?

but let's leave ice dance... why only 2 men.. again... they could have sent a bunch of candidates there... there are many more men like bennet toman for instance who deserve to get out there... and of course, he may be scheduled somewhere else but north american skaters don't have it as easy as europeans when it comes to challengers in terms of distance, jet lag, cost.. etc... so to see home spots unused pisses me off ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Completely agree!

People were so worried about pairs for Canada but really with practice and polish there will quite a few teams vying for those spots in Beijing.

I think Canada will still have a top 8 or top 5 pairs team. MtM and M are solid and who knows how Charlie and Lubov will do as a team and that does not consider the upcoming juniors. No they don't look as strong as when Duhamel and Radford where skating or Sale and Pelletier or Brasseur and Eisler but look solid. Ice dance too - not as strong as Dubreil and Lauzon or Virtue and Moir but they are hovering around the top 5 or 6. The big question mark is the men and ladies but yes I can see potential in the men with Nam and Messing representing the experience and then you have Sadovsky, Nadeau et al and then of course Gogolov. The ladies won't be so bad if Gabby continues to fight back but after her it looks bleak.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
possible... and that may be lala but let's not speculate... marjorie was at CQÉ and looked happy and cheery... did not see Zach... there is also Fisher and Malette Paquette who were promising until injuries slowed them down last year... but yeah... even if another team was slotted, why not have a sub? It's in Canada, it's cheap... :) and it's needed...even with men... for instance, a guy like Joseph may be competing on the JGP but getting him TES minimums early in the season could be useful later on.

Joseph is doing a JGP a week before ACI. It would be a really bad decision for him to do a CS event in between his two JGP assignments. He can do one later, after the JGP (and before JGPF if he makes it) as the US men often do (Krasnozhon a couple years ago, Tomoki and Camden last year).

icetug

Medalist
with the number of men and dance teams we have, they could have invited 3 at ACI

Is it possible that there will be 3rd assignation to ACI after North York Summer Skate, as all three skaters who could possible take the spot (Matthew, Roman and Bennet) are going to compete there?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Joseph is doing a JGP a week before ACI. It would be a really bad decision for him to do a CS event in between his two JGP assignments. He can do one later, after the JGP (and before JGPF if he makes it) as the US men often do (Krasnozhon a couple years ago, Tomoki and Camden last year).

yup but that is my issue... conrad and jo could have done a late challenger last year.. but they made conrad go to a super late one... at the end of the season... i am saying : give those boys a chance to get their tech minimums BEFORE nationals.. not after... then maybe they can go to 4CC ...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Is it possible that there will be 3rd assignation to ACI after North York Summer Skate, as all three skaters who could possible take the spot (Matthew, Roman and Bennet) are going to compete there?

i have been following ACI for a few years as i had the chance to go two years in a row... and never did Canada add skaters .... actually, usually it's the opposite.. some skaters end up w/d ...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skate Canada finally remembered to update its events page, now covering the remainder of the JGP and the pre-Grand Prix Challengers. Assorted observations:

- They finally decided to send out more ladies to Challenger events.
- Nadine and Francis get the US Classic already! Vote of confidence there.
- Conversely, Justine and Mark clearly still on SC’s **** list.
- Marjorie/Zach will be going to Lombardia, along with Laurence and Nikolaj (when was the last time we sent people there?).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Skate Canada finally remembered to update its events page, now covering the remainder of the JGP and the pre-Grand Prix Challengers. Assorted observations:

- They finally decided to send out more ladies to Challenger events.
- Nadine and Francis get the US Classic already! Vote of confidence there.
- Conversely, Justine and Mark clearly still on SC’s **** list.
- Marjorie/Zach will be going to Lombardia, along with Laurence and Nikolaj (when was the last time we sent people there?).

justine and mark didn't impress at CQÉ
Lombardia was often at the same time as ACI ... so i guess SC didn't feel the need to send people there before.. but i see what they did now... they split up the dance teams... which i think is smart.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
one more thought !!! Li/Richmond get a JGP !!! SO happy for them... they did very well at CQÉ.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and one very last thought : why is JGP Croatia left blank? Are we not sending anyone there??/ Doesn't make sense.

icetug

Medalist
and one very last thought : why is JGP Croatia left blank? Are we not sending anyone there??/ Doesn't make sense.

And Stephen got only one JGP spot for now...
Canada got one spot for men and ladies and 2 spots for pairs and dance in Zagreb. It's the last but one competition so the most promising for JGPF skaters will go, I presume...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
About half the team for JGP Croatia has already been announced (as I've mentioned in earlier comments) -- Alison, Nadiia & Peter, Emmy & Aissa -- they just haven't updated that section for whatever reason.

By process of elimination, Croatia must be Stephen's second event.

justine and mark didn't impress at CQÉ
They came second, and almost won.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
About half the team for JGP Croatia has already been announced (as I've mentioned in earlier comments) -- Alison, Nadiia & Peter, Emmy & Aissa -- they just haven't updated that section for whatever reason.

I think there's a good chance they'll be at Finlandia. If not, Warsaw has pairs and it's on the SC assignments page.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

still... they were not very impressive... i mean kim decelles won the ladies and didn't skate a stellar program either. placing doesn't mean anything. Justine and Mark are struggling with throws and SBS. I was at the event hoping for the best from them... but unlike the other teams, there was no energy nor chemistry coming out from them.. just element.. blah... element/..blah... etc... and they've been together longer than a couple of the teams there already.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
still... they were not very impressive... i mean kim decelles won the ladies and didn't skate a stellar program either. placing doesn't mean anything. Justine and Mark are struggling with throws and SBS. I was at the event hoping for the best from them... but unlike the other teams, there was no energy nor chemistry coming out from them.. just element.. blah... element/..blah... etc... and they've been together longer than a couple of the teams there already.

Just because you didn't like them, doesn't mean they don't deserve a CS event. They clearly do.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just because you didn't like them, doesn't mean they don't deserve a CS event. They clearly do.

i know :) and i have no problem with them getting assignments... I was answering the colonel with the "they almost won" statement... well.. that means nothing if the competition wasn't well skated in the LP... which happened for all but one pair..

Balloon

On the Ice
I wish Justine and Mark would get the jumps and throws, just like some junior pairs I wish to see some solid 2A’s. Why send them on a JGP without it...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wish Justine and Mark would get the jumps and throws, just like some junior pairs I wish to see some solid 2A’s. Why send them on a JGP without it...
Their jumps at Championnats weren't all that bad, on the whole. For the 3Ts, they got one set successfully, the other with a slight hand down; the 3S, obviously, there was Justine's pop.

The throws are more of a work in progress, though it should be noted that the throw 3Lo is a new element this season.