What did you call that jump? Why triksel? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What did you call that jump? Why triksel?

Orlov

Medalist
Ulrich should be happy that it's still stuck around! Poor Werner Rittberger, getting his jump replaced with "Loop"! :p

I dunno, in Russia, this jump is called "риттбергер" ("rittberger") :) So, for example, we are writing: 3Л+3Р (3Lz+3Lo)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm all for banning sow, given its less than appropriate (or flattering) other and existing meaning....

I think we should be banning Mohawk and Choctaw first, given their less than appropriate apparent origins... https://www.liveabout.com/all-about-choctaws-and-mohawks-1282269

"During the 1800s, the British people were very interested in the Native Americans and they brought them to England to entertain the elite. The British ice skaters noticed that a certain pose done in Indian war dances looked like a figure skating turn they were doing on the ice, so they named that turn the Mohawk."

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I dunno, in Russia, this jump is called "риттбергер" ("rittberger") :) So, for example, we are writing: 3Л+3Р (3Lz+3Lo)

Not just in Russia, but in majority of Europe. But i quess, Loop is easier and 'quicklier' to pronounce for commentators/audience :) E: But then it would be easier and more elegant in judging sheet and for play by play with R and L simbols, instead of Lo and Lz :biggrin:

Does "Quacksel" sound too cutesy/sexist/quacky to anyone? :biggrin:

It sounds like a "Quirky Waxel."

Here is a discussion of what a Waxel is.

http://skating.zachariahs.com/skatingforums/www.skatingforums.com/archive/index.php/t-24399.html

Some of the offerings:

A waxel is an axel attempt where the skater usually takes off of the heel of the blade and is out of control in the air. It feels like you're going to land on your head.

Any axel attempt where the skater spazzes out in the air and doesn't properly get into the backspin position before landing. I just did one yesterday and now I have the worst bruise I've had for several years!

BadAxel said:
]I wish I had heard of the Waxel when I joined this forum- it sounds way better than "Badaxel"!

------------------------------

CanadianSkaterGuy said:
I think we should be banning Mohawk and Choctaw first, given their less than appropriate apparent origins...

"During the 1800s, the British people were very interested in the Native Americans and they brought them to England to entertain the elite. The British ice skaters noticed that a certain pose done in Indian war dances looked like a figure skating turn they were doing on the ice, so they named that turn the Mohawk."

I wonder how American Indians feel about this sort of thing now. There is nothing inherently bad about naming a skating move after a Native American dance step.

Many American sports teams are called the Indians, or the Braves, or else named after a particular tribe. A local college here is the Hurons. (Another is the Warriors -- but this was originally the Tartars and referred to Ghengis Khan's posse. No one in Michigan had any idea of what a Tartar was so they changed it to "Warriors.")

At one time there was a movement to ban such names (the NFL's Washington Redskins was the worst). But then some of the tribes said, hey, wait a minute, what's wrong with being honored as strong warriors? The Florida State Seminoles nickname has been embraced by the Seminole Nation for instance.

As far as i know there has been only one prominent American Indian figure skater. Naomi Lang's (four-time U.S. ice dance champion ) father was a member of the Karuk Tribe. (Not sure about her partner, Peter Tchernyshev.)

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

In Poland we call it Rittberger too. You have no idea how confused I was at first when I first entered English boards :drama:

Anyway, I love 3As, so the more in the field the better for me :popcorn:

tokoyami

On the Ice
Because it's not proper and disrespects the sport. No one else calls it this, not even my former Russian coaches.

That is the point. IDC if one likes it or not, you say this around a figure skater, esp of elite status and they will laugh at you or roll their eyes and more than likely consider you don't know what you're talking about. It's just rude to call a jump some name that's non-existent. It pokes fun at all the sacrifices and work it takes to get to the level that many here like to talk about and claim to be fans of. Respect the sport or don't watch.

And IDK why the other side of this keeps saying "outrage" there is no outrage. It's just those of us that dislike seeing things wrongly stated. Nothing more, nothing less.

well good thing we are using this term on a forum where we are talking to normal ppl and NOT elite skaters. who cares? its just a nickname, i often shorten 'axel' to 'axe' in my head when I see the notations for it, am i not supposed to do that either?
anyway my favorite 3a is by Midori Ito, Yuzuru, and Keegan messing lol (and look i used 3a instead of 'triksel' because even though i think the name sounds silly i can just keep calling it a 3a, its almost like calling it a triksel or 3a doesnt actually hurt anyone so whats the point in telling other people what to do?)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There is absolutely nothing wrong (or "snotty") with expecting people to use correct terminology.

Would you go to your doctor complaining of an ache in your tummy-wummy? If you were over the age of 3, they would probably look at you rather strangely. And I wouldn't consider that snobby or superior at all.

If you use baby talk, expect to be not understood or not taken seriously.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
There is absolutely nothing wrong (or "snotty") with expecting people to use correct terminology.

Would you go to your doctor complaining of an ache in your tummy-wummy? If you were over the age of 3, they would probably look at you rather strangely. And I wouldn't consider that snobby or superior at all.

The analogy is strange.
Trixel is not a „babytalk“, it’s a shortening that is used in other languages. You don’t have to like it or use it, but it’s not a baby talk.

Just like saying „quad sal“ is not a baby talk either, because the person did not use „quadruple Salchow“ instead. I don’t see people being outraged when someone says quad sal, but it’s simply because you’re used to it, and not used to the word trixel.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Trixsel - and remember, it's a foreign import with no childish connotations there, several people have said this, few denied it, and no one here is the final arbiter on foreign colloqialisms - is hardly on a par with your deliberately OTT 'tummy-wummy'. It's not baby talk, and you know it as well as I do. I don't like it at all (in an English setting it still sounds like cheap candy to me) but I try not be be unnecessarily insular where I can. Don't always succeed of course, who does?

Even if it was childish, my doctor is respectful and polite enough to his patients to keep his rolled eyeballs where they belong, I can't speak for anyone else's medics. The point is, professionals they may be, but if they want to have fans both domestic and foreign, they should treat even the less knowledgable and 'elite' ones with courtesy. If they can't be bothered, why should we respect them?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The analogy is strange.
Trixel is not a „babytalk“, it’s a shortening that is used in other languages. You don’t have to like it or use it, but it’s not a baby talk.

Just like saying „quad sal“ is not a baby talk either, because the person did not use „quadruple Salchow“ instead. I don’t see people being outraged when someone says quad sal, but it’s simply because you’re used to it, and not used to the word trixel.

The analogy is not strange at all.

In English, which is the language of this forum, triksel sounds and looks EXACTLY like baby talk. And when it's said, the break comes in the wrong place: it seems to be trick-sell, which doesn't make any sense in a figure skating context.

Until the thread name was changed, I had no idea what it was about. At least I didn't think it was about selling tricks, which has a whole other meaning in English that I won't go into here.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Toripuruakuseru. ...

Glad that you brought it up.

I am of Japanese descent and consider myself to be a Japanophile.
If someone had started a thread on GS with the title "Ladies and the Toripuruakuseru," it would be easily understandable to me that the OP wanted to have a discussion about ladies and the triple axel.

But I do not think that "toripuruakuseru" belongs in a thread title on this English-language forum. It would be a completely unnecessary distraction.
Doesn't matter that "toripuruakuseru" would be familiar to those accustomed to speaking and hearing Japanese.

Same for me with "triksel."

DenissVFan

Medalist
What's your take on "cascade"? It comes from Russian, I believe, and some people use it in English.

What's your take on "cascade"? It comes from Russian, I believe, and some people use it in English.

I like it! I had never heard it until recently, but to me it charms the ear. It makes me think of the skater shooting white water in a kayak, being swept along by the current while negotiating now a flip, now an Axel Paulsen.

I think picturesque terms for collections of things are cool. A bunch of geese on the ground is (are?) a "gaggle of geese." The same bunch flying is a "skein."

A "pride of lions." :yes:

Would you go to your doctor complaining of an ache in your tummy-wummy?

I think people would be astonished at how patients struggle to describe their symptoms. The doctor must keep a professional demeanor and a straight face -- at least until she gets home and has a good laugh with her spouse.

As for babies, I am reminded of a time I took my pre-school niece to the pediatric ophthalmologist. Since the doctor's patients in general can't read, the eye chart has letter E's of different sizes and different orientations. The doctor calls them "kitties." Which way are this kitty's legs pointing? What about that one?

My neice turned to her mother and said in a loud stage whisper, "He doesn't know that's an E."

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I like it! I had never heard it until recently, but to me it charms the ear. It makes me think of the skater shooting white water in a kayak, being swept along by the current while negotiating now a flip, now an Axel Paulsen. ...

Non-snarky honest question:
What exactly is the meaning of "cascade" in the context of figure skating?

I have not heard of it at all as a term related to figure skating.
Although I do of course know the word "cascade."

(To be clear: I am not arguing. I am trying to understand what is being discussed.)

… As for babies, I am reminded of a time I took my pre-school niece to the pediatric ophthalmologist. Since the doctor's patients in general can't read, the eye chart has letter E's of different sizes and different orientations. The doctor calls them "kitties." Which way are this kitty's legs pointing? What about that one?

My neice turned to her mother and said in a loud stage whisper, "He doesn't know that's an E."

:laugh:

Non-snarky honest question:
What exactly is the meaning of "cascade" in the context of figure skating?

I think it is synonymous with "combination," as in a 3Lz+3T combination. I don't know if the same word is also used for what we call a "sequence."

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you were discussing jump nomenclature in a thread about triple Axels, this is where your post went.