2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 74 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pantsu

On the Ice
Silver medalist of the Olympic Games in Pyeongchang Evgenia Medvedeva returned to Russia, tests for the skater's coronavirus gave a negative result. This was announced to TASS by the Director General of the Russian Figure Skating Federation Alexander Kogan.
Medvedeva has been in Japan since the beginning of April, where she flew to participate in the show, which was subsequently canceled due to the coronavirus.
"Evgenia Medvedeva flew to Moscow, passed the tests for coronavirus infection, which were negative. Now Zhenya is on self-isolation, and as soon as she’s finished, the skater plans to return to the ice," Kogan said.
https://tass.ru/sport/8851707

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Interesting... since our borders are still closed to foreigners. If true, she must have some sort of special permission.

She is in Moscow not Canada according to TASS. Seems like Japanese news made a mistake (?). Russian news just confirmed that Zhenya flew from Japan to Moscow and passed the Covid test and will return to ice soon.
https://tass.ru/sport/8851707
Makes more sense now.

Pantsu

On the Ice
Maybe it is time to try some new approach. She can join the rising Plyushchenko academy
Perhaps Rozanov can help her with the quad

Kelti

Rinkside
Maybe it is time to try some new approach. She can join the rising Plyushchenko academy

This is a great suggestion. Med still remains very friendly with Trusova, I think training together will motivate her. At least if they can arrange this for the interim period until she settles with a permananent training situation again. Glad to know she’s confirmed COVID-19 free and is already in self isolation mode!

Scott512

Record Breaker
I was curious if Liu had toe axeled. Sometimes I do think she does when she has a particularly bad landing on the triple axel.

She had a world bronze.

Do you also have the SP somewhere? I want to see where Mao would end up overall. But maybe it should be put in the other thread.

Is winning a world bronze the same as what Tolstoj said about winning another major competition? No. But thank you for the update I had forgotten that Sarah did that . Hey she won Olympics in her home country on her home ice just like someone else did. ;)

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Is winning a world bronze the same as what Tolstoj said about winning another major competition? No. But thank you for the update I had forgotten that Sarah did that . Hey she won Olympics in her home country on her home ice just like someone else did. ;)
Tolstoj's post:

Sotnikova might remain the only Olympic Champion in modern history who hasn't won any other big international competition and never medalled at Worlds or GPF.

and never medalled at Worlds or GPF.
Since you just said "Sarah Hughes?" there was no way I could have known you meant to focus on victories only. So yes, Sotnikova is the only modern OGM with no world medals or GPF medals. Just the only modern OGM, we don't even need to say "female modern OGM" at this point.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a great suggestion. Med still remains very friendly with Trusova, I think training together will motivate her. At least if they can arrange this for the interim period until she settles with a permananent training situation again. Glad to know she’s confirmed COVID-19 free and is already in self isolation mode!

Evgenia is friends with Stanislava, also. Are the rinks open in Moscow?

starlight97

Final Flight

I doubt she can just jump into Plushenko's or any other local coaches training camp. Her coach that she is signed with is in Canada.
This whole situation really backfired on her. She's lost 2 months more of training than the Russian top girls and she's gonna lose more now being in quarantine and after that continuing without her coaches until she can go back to Canada, whenever that will be.
She's in a very disadvantageous situation, it's not like she could afford to fall even further behind.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt she can just jump into Plushenko's or any other local coaches training camp. Her coach that she is signed with is in Canada.
This whole situation really backfired on her. She's lost 2 months more of training than the Russian top girls and she's gonna lose more now being in quarantine and after that continuing without her coaches until she can go back to Canada, whenever that will be.
She's in a very disadvantageous situation, it's not like she could afford to fall even further behind.

She's trained at CSKA, while in Russia. She has her programs and she had ice time in Japan. So I think she'll be fine.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Though I still can't get rid of the idea of Zhenya showing herself on the ice in Novogorsk. The whole FS world would have a food for discussions for another two years :laugh:

McTwisp

Rinkside
Evgenia is friends with Stanislava, also. Are the rinks open in Moscow?

Here is a photo of Volkov's group (including Stasya) beginning training 7 days ago. Ghislain Briand also once coached Martine Dagenais so there is a TCC connection.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBxGozrKmdh/

Please let her train with Plushenko just for the flower presentation photo afterwards. Zhenya x 2 with Yana and all smiles. Russia FS drama is amazing.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is a photo of Volkov's group (including Stasya) beginning training 7 days ago. Ghislain Briand also once coached Martine Dagenais so there is a TCC connection.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBxGozrKmdh/

Please let her train with Plushenko just for the flower presentation photo afterwards. Zhenya x 2 with Yana and all smiles. Russia FS drama is amazing.

I'm not sure I want any drama, but I want to see photos of Evgenia on ice.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Tolstoj's post:

Since you just said "Sarah Hughes?" there was no way I could have known you meant to focus on victories only. So yes, Sotnikova is the only modern OGM with no world medals or GPF medals. Just the only modern OGM, we don't even need to say "female modern OGM" at this point.

Yes the focus says online Victorys only and I apologize for not making it clear.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice

Sarah also medaled many times and even beat Michelle Kwan AND Irina Slutskaya at Skate Canada previous to the Olympics. She also was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated (I believe, but it may have been Time magazine) leading up To the Olympics. So....her winning might have been a shock to non skating fans, but not actual fans.

Many of us have years of fandom and many skaters we have followed through these years.

Amei

Record Breaker

Considering she's on the national team I'm sure the Fed will make sure she has access to ice, and I believe Tarasova is a big Medvedeva fan so she can provide her guidance, she can remotely contact her coaches, she's 20 and says she wants to be a coach when she retires, so she should be able to adequately compensate for a few months - she has more than enough resources (less the Tarasova 1, that's just my speculation of someone that she can reach out to for in-person help) to keep herself at her current competition level.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Great job, and many valid points. However, I find it illogical to give Adelina a < on her 3T and at the same time ignore Kim's second Lutz. That hooked landing is a dead giveaway for underrotations.

Not really true. A hooked landing might be within the allowable amount, or it might not, and anyway you can "hook" a landing that is perfectly rotated (or overrated), just depends how you are landing. You can come down on your toepick, not halt the rotation properly, and swing around at any landing point. Anyway, Kim's Lutz rotated much more in the air than Adelina's 3T, and her landing gave off the visual of accelerating on the exit.

Do you also have the SP somewhere? I want to see where Mao would end up overall. But maybe it should be put in the other thread.

I wrote the SP's on here at some point, I think, but not sure where. Mao is 4th overall for me though.

Just curious, are there any elements, not just from Sochi but from anywhere or anytime (especially in recent years), you would consider a +3 (or +5 going by today's rules)? The only one I see here is Yulia's combo spin.

From recent times there is Kolyada's 4Lutz the one time he hit it, and a couple of Boyang's 4Lutz's and maybe a couple of Hanyu's jumps, and a few other spins out there. The maximum GOE score should be highly reserved, it's very difficult to do an all-time best kind of element, and skaters need to have incentive to actually push themselves to try and hit that level. If people are getting the maximum GOE grade for doing less than what is possible, then complacence sets in and the sport suffers.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I wrote the SP's on here at some point, I think, but not sure where. Mao is 4th overall for me though.

From recent times there is Kolyada's 4Lutz the one time he hit it, and a couple of Boyang's 4Lutz's and maybe a couple of Hanyu's jumps, and a few other spins out there. The maximum GOE score should be highly reserved, it's very difficult to do an all-time best kind of element, and skaters need to have incentive to actually push themselves to try and hit that level. If people are getting the maximum GOE grade for doing less than what is possible, then complacence sets in and the sport suffers.

Lol I'm glad about Mao I had her 4th too, and we even agree about the jumps deserving +5 :rofl: it's really not that hard to see the quality difference though. It's why it's hard to believe the judges just have "difference of opinion" or something else.

Also, I think Kolyada hit it twice too. At that CS event he did in 2017. That was also an amazing execution.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm happy for Medvedeva! The rumours she is going to train at Plushenko's Academy were exist on Russian forums but I don't believe it. She is in hard situation but that is really good her programs are ready.

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1086537959.html - Brian Orser: “Medvedev plans to return to Canada when she has this opportunity”

starlight97

Final Flight
Considering she's on the national team I'm sure the Fed will make sure she has access to ice, and I believe Tarasova is a big Medvedeva fan so she can provide her guidance, she can remotely contact her coaches, she's 20 and says she wants to be a coach when she retires, so she should be able to adequately compensate for a few months - she has more than enough resources (less the Tarasova 1, that's just my speculation of someone that she can reach out to for in-person help) to keep herself at her current competition level.

Yes of course she will find ice to skate on, bit she will be without her coaches and facilities and she is many weeks behind the other girls. It remains a disadvantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.