Yuna Kim | Page 74 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

L

lowtherlore

Yeah, I don't think Yuna necessarily has to keep competing to keep from falling into mediocrity. If she wants to retire from competition and expand on All the Skate, more power to her and it could be great for the skating world.

I'm definitely taking her at her word that she wants to go to worlds. I think she's given herself plenty of time to prepare.

But if she decides later this year that her heart isn't in it after all and drops out, I'm not going to rake her over the coals. It's her life.

Ditto.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It'll be same contentders all over again in 2011 World Campionship.

Even though Yuna showed not-so-stella performance in 2010 Worlds and Mao has trouble in revamping her jumps...
It'll be Yuna and Mao...fighting for GOLD.

I don't see anybody that can challenge them on the horizon yet.
Yuna and Mao are TWO SPECIAL skaters who can make skating...very popular beyond their own countries.

Mao's jumps appear to be a mess right now, I'm not sure she'll be a gold medal favorite this year at Worlds. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ando, Nagasu, Kostner, Lepisto at the top of the World's podium this season.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Mao's jumps appear to be a mess right now, I'm not sure she'll be a gold medal favorite this year at Worlds. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ando, Nagasu, Kostner, Lepisto at the top of the World's podium this season.

Mao will overcome the difficlties she's facing right now...because
she has the raw materials to jump.

Ando was able to compete Yuna and Mao but she is getting old...almost 23...
The others don't have the raw materials to compete the FABULOUS TWO.

janetfan

Match Penalty

We will have to wait and see. She started off last season the same way and by the time Olympics and Worlds rolled around Mao showed she was a pretty good pressure skater and delivered when it counted.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I am always baffled by Silverlake's staunch belief in Kostner's abilities despite the hot mess she normally is these days. But I guess that is what it means to be a fan. :) Does anyone else beside me find the "raw materials" comment kinda funny? :laugh: (I just came from an Econs exam)

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker

Mao's jumps were a mess at this time last year too. I would most certainly not count her out. Kostner? Am I missing something? Has she given a good performance or something lately? If there is any lady I'd dare to count out it would be her, unless I'm missing something.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am always baffled by Silverlake's staunch belief in Kostner's abilities despite the hot mess she normally is these days. But I guess that is what it means to be a fan. Does anyone else beside me find the "raw materials" comment kinda funny? :laugh: (I just came from an Econs exam)

I think silverlake likes Caro and hopes she will win Euros again because she is against Laura and still mad that Laura beat Miki at Worlds last season. :)
Plus, Caro is tall so it is fun guessing her height ;) :biggrin:

Speaking of raw materials I don't think Miki is too old and I rate her "raw materials" very highly - but some of her costumes are not my favorite.:)

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mao's jumps were a mess at this time last year too. I would most certainly not count her out. Kostner? Am I missing something? Has she given a good performance or something lately? If there is any lady I'd dare to count out it would be her, unless I'm missing something.

You can never count Kostner out because you never know when she's going to deliver, and if she does deliver, her scores WILL be big. Plus her new FS looks gorgeous from the clips I've seen of it.

But yes, secretly, I have this theory that this year, results are going to go haywire, and we'll see Verner and Abbott both on the men's podium at Worlds, and Gao and Kostner both on the ladie's podium at Worlds. The 3rd person in both cases can be a usual suspect like Joubert or Chan for the men and Kim or Asada for the ladiezz, but I'm really hoping things get shaken up.

Layfan

Record Breaker
You can never count Kostner out because you never know when she's going to deliver, and if she does deliver, her scores WILL be big. Plus her new FS looks gorgeous from the clips I've seen of it.

But yes, secretly, I have this theory that this year, results are going to go haywire, and we'll see Verner and Abbott both on the men's podium at Worlds, and Gao and Kostner both on the ladie's podium at Worlds. The 3rd person in both cases can be a usual suspect like Joubert or Chan for the men and Kim or Asada for the ladiezz, but I'm really hoping things get shaken up.

Wow, Gao?? Well, you never know. These predictions are fun. I predict Alissa will win the Grand Prix finals, nationals AND worlds. :party2:

R.D.

Record Breaker
To make my previous comment a little more concrete, how about this: Does she want to make like Katarina Witt, or like Sarah Hughes? I mean that with all due respect to the three ladies.

Layfan

Record Breaker
To make my previous comment a little more concrete, how about this: Does she want to make like Katarina Witt, or like Sarah Hughes? I mean that with all due respect to the three ladies.

Those aren't her only two options, though. She could be like Kristi Yamaguchi or Shiz - judging from that other thread about Shiz, she hasn't fallen into mediocrity at all...
Personally, I want Yuna to keep competing because it WOULD be cool to have another Kat. But I don't think Yuna will take my wishes into consideration.:)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Those aren't her only two options, though. She could be like Kristi Yamaguchi or Shiz - judging from that other thread about Shiz, she hasn't fallen into mediocrity at all...

I know; I was picking the two ends of the spectrum.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
PREDICT, or HOPE? ;)

I've decided that's going to be my strategy for my favorites this year. Instead of trying not to jinx them with optimistic statements, I'm going to go all out. Alissa will win worlds and go out on a high note. Mirai will win every subsequent worlds on her way to the OGM. :party:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Wow, Gao?? Well, you never know. These predictions are fun. I predict Alissa will win the Grand Prix finals, nationals AND worlds. :party2:

Gao's 167+ put up at the JGP Graz was higher than what Wagner, Czisny, and Zhang usually put up and not far off what Flatt scores when she's "on" so idk, I don't think it's that far fetched. I mean, Mao and Yuna were both on the podium at their first Worlds at 16.

Apart from Gao (I think she can get on the World team, I just don't know if she will get the PCS to medal there), I think my predictions are totally plausible. I don't think anyone doubts that Kostner, Verner, and Abbott are talented enough to win World medals, I mean Kostner has already done it two (three?) times and Verner was 4th twice, and Abbott, well he just has to stop peaking at the GPF and Nationals....

Layfan

Record Breaker
Gao's 167+ put up at the JGP Graz was higher than what Wagner, Czisny, and Zhang usually put up and not far off what Flatt scores when she's "on" so idk, I don't think it's that far fetched. I mean, Mao and Yuna were both on the podium at their first Worlds at 16.

Apart from Gao (I think she can get on the World team, I just don't know if she will get the PCS to medal there), I think my predictions are totally plausible. I don't think anyone doubts that Kostner, Verner, and Abbott are talented enough to win World medals, I mean Kostner has already done it two (three?) times and Verner was 4th twice, and Abbott, well he just has to stop peaking at the GPF and Nationals....

Well, I think Gao has a good shot at the world team, too. I never thought about her actually medaling at worlds but as I said, you never know!

Golly, the season has barely started, and YuNa's thread is almost 100 pages long. This season is going to be fun!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I think Gao has a good shot at the world team, too. I never thought about her actually medaling at worlds but as I said, you never know!

There exists a US Ladies prediction thread ;)

And I'm at 75 pages on this thread, not 100...

lycan

Rinkside
I don't know if someone posted this, but it sounds like Yuna is progressing.

Yu-Na Kim selected Peter Oppegard as her coach yesterday. This has caused internet hysteria that she will not compete again. Orser served as Yu-Na's main coach, but he was not her jump coach in Toronto. Oppegard could very well serve the same role, with jump help coming from other places if needed. Arutunian is in close proximity and could likely work with Yu-Na on her jumps. Oppegard is a very successful pairs coach, which means that he knows all about positioning and creating a picture on the ice. As a choreographer, he can really aid Yu-Na's ability to emote, expand her range of movement and polish her skating. When I saw the photo of him correcting her foot position, I was giddy with excitement. The Olympic Champion displays a strong affinity for the feminine boys. View a photo album of them working together. Oppegard previously taught Kim her double axel. They have not discussed her competition plans, but she remains steadfast that she will compete at Worlds. Yu-Na is in decent shape and has been running through her new programs at the East West Ice Palace.

http://auntjoycesicecreamstand.blogspot.com/search/label/Yu-Na Kim