Daisuke Takahashi | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
There is an article up on IN about Pasquale Carmerlengo. In Paragraph 6 of the article IN says that Dai is working with Lori on his 2012-2013 programs. No other info and no direct quotes.
I am not sure if Pasquale said this because he was not quoted.

Last edited:

skfan

Final Flight
first of all, thank you deedee for yet more wonderful translations :)

about daisuke and lori... if it's indeed true...

a lot of people are already rolling their eyes, but i think lori is plenty capable of turning out great work--witness her programs for carolina. and she knows the world is expecting something amazing for daisuke, so i doubt she'll view this as another day at the office. maybe she'll feel as TAT did when TAT worked with MK--because like the TAT & MK collaboration, this coming together took a bit of serendipity; i certainly didn't see it coming. :)

i don't follow daisuke as closely as the true fans on this thread do, but from what i recall from generous translators, he'd said something like, he knows the road ahead is going to be tough and he might not achieve the heights he'd reached in the past, but he still wants to skate, to meet the challenges as best he can and explore more within skating (ok, i'm probably way off by now... but i remember being very touched by his words--his humility and respect for his skating contemporaries... )

was it the season before last, he had lambiel choreograph a program, though he competed mostly with a different long program? so there's still hope for anyone disappointed to hear he's working with lori-- maybe he's creating yet another short or long with someone else! :D i want to see dai skate to as many interesting pieces of music as possible, so as long as he's not so busy that he's not maintaining his health, i'd be happy to see him have additional programs in his repertoire as well. ^^

anyway, as someone who is still branching out and learning, why shouldn't he work with nichol and see what she has to show him? maybe the process of creating a program with her, collaborating with her is valuable in and of itself, even if the program they create together isn't going to blow some people's minds the way blues for klook did. maybe he'll refresh her inspiration and she'll have another period like when MK and sale & pelletier especially inspired her.

for me, the *music* for blues for klook is... not a favorite, so i'm not at all sorry to see what another choreographer will come up with for dai. and camerlengo may still be choreographing one competitive or exhibition program for dai, so... there might yet be something for everybody. ^_^

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
There is an article up on IN about Pasquale Carmerlengo. In Paragraph 6 of the article IN says that Dai is working with Lori on his 2012-1013 programs. No other info and no direct quotes.
I am not sure if Pasquale said this because he was not quoted.

!!!:eek:!!!
...and programS???? Let me go and read it first!!! --------->IN

(Waking up very late Saturday morning again, but this time, a pig IS flying over MY head...)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have assumed their collaboration for a while and forgot it wasn't official. This is their first opportunity to work with each other and I am sure they will enjoy exploring and exploiting each other's talents. Can't wait to see the product(s).

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
"He must be one of your boys, right?" Someone asked. She replied back, "No, he isn't." That was young Daisuke. He came to Sendai all by himself from Okayama, his native city, for choreography of his new free program. The music piece was Warsaw Concerto. 'Such a difficult piece of classical music to interpret and skate to for an thirteen year old boy...' Nagamitsu thought to herself. His choreographer, however, left the rink for Tokyo for some urgent business to attend, and she pinch-hitted to do the rest of his choreo. When she started working with him, the young boy surprised her. "He moved around softly and so delicately skating to this piece, as if every note of the music was coming from the inside of his body..."

------------------------
(cont'd)

Thank you so much for this translation Deedee... i'd love to see the 13 year old Daisuke performing to Warsaw Concerto. I wish there's a youtube clip of this somewhere. I wonder how he compares with the young Hanyu.

You know I have always felt there's nothing like an born gifted musical skater that command the ice like they are born to skate. Daisuke absolutely gets the music and always such a generous performer sharing his thoughts on the music which his audiences. Daisuke's ability to effortlessly reach this transcendental state is something super rare and makes him a joy and excitement to watch.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'm late to the party, but a huge thank you deedee1 from me too! It's always great to read your translations, so really really thank you =)

For the news of Dai working with Nichol next season... I'm semi-excited about it. It will probably give him huge PCS. It might too give him programms I don't really find enjoyable. Nichol is capable of creating absolute beauty, no doubt, but she can create pretty big messes too. I guess I'll just don't think too much about it and just wait what will come out of it. This is Dai, he'll be able to skate to and sell everything any choreographer gives him :yes:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Here is sending back my big 'thank-you!' to everyone for your kind words![
I am so glad to join thsi forum, too, and to have opportunities to introduce some news/information on our skaters that is only or seemingly available in Japanese language to you. :yes:

I am speechless.

I don't remember any FS news ever that made let's talk speechless.

I was like :jaw: the whole Saturday!

about daisuke and lori... if it's indeed true...

a lot of people are already rolling their eyes, but i think lori is plenty capable of turning out great work--witness her programs for carolina. and she knows the world is expecting something amazing for daisuke, so i doubt she'll view this as another day at the office.
i want to see dai skate to as many interesting pieces of music as possible, so as long as he's not so busy that he's not maintaining his health, i'd be happy to see him have additional programs in his repertoire as well. ^^

anyway, as someone who is still branching out and learning, why shouldn't he work with nichol and see what she has to show him? maybe the process of creating a program with her, collaborating with her is valuable in and of itself, even if the program they create together isn't going to blow some people's minds the way blues for klook did. maybe he'll refresh her inspiration and she'll have another period like when MK and sale & pelletier especially inspired her.

I have assumed their collaboration for a while and forgot it wasn't official. This is their first opportunity to work with each other and I am sure they will enjoy exploring and exploiting each other's talents. Can't wait to see the product(s).

:thumbsup: to both!
But SkateFiguring, you could have at least PMed me if you already knew that. ^^;

i'd love to see the 13 year old Daisuke performing to Warsaw Concerto. I wish there's a youtube clip of this somewhere. I wonder how he compares with the young Hanyu.

I haven't seen any, either. Afraid no vid clip unfortunately...

I have been having a small wish in my heart. Daisuke at least finishes 5th at Sochi, so that he gets to skate in the Gala, but with telling nobody (including Utako sensei) which music he will skate to. Then starts his skating to Warsaw Concerto which contains some of original choreos done by Utako sensei, to surprise everyone. :love: (Hey! Kenji, I need you to help Dai to prepare for that secretly without getting caught by Utako sensei's attention!)

btw, I won't complain his pacement be higher than 5th place or if it's OGM of course. :biggrin:

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
For the news of Dai working with Nichol next season... I'm semi-excited about it. It will probably give him huge PCS. It might too give him programms I don't really find enjoyable. Nichol is capable of creating absolute beauty, no doubt, but she can create pretty big messes too. I guess I'll just don't think too much about it and just wait what will come out of it. This is Dai, he'll be able to skate to and sell everything any choreographer gives him :yes:

I thank you a lot for your kind words, too, Li'Kitsu!

I think your thought pretty much summs up general feelings of 'Dai'-hard fans and his 'aunties' ;) here on this.
Especially this part:
"This is Dai, he'll be able to skate to and sell everything any choreographer gives him" :yes:

Looking far back upon the days young Dai appeared smaller, more fragile and less confident, some older fans of Dai also say: "Wow, the way this news broke out (thru tipping off by some anonymous :p), proves what a bigwig our boy has become of himself!" :laugh:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Life is short. Let's move forward! :)

---------------------------------------
RE: About Mrs. Utako Nagamitsu, a figure skating coach
Sources: Nikkei shimbun
Dates: May 24-26, 2010
Writer: Masako Hara
Remarks:
English words/expressions may be added/replaced in order to make more sense and/or for easier reading in English. Please allow me as usual for grammatical mistakes if any.

<3>
The boy had only two triples which were toe loop and Salchow. To her surprise, however, he showed a sense of artistry that she had never seen from any boys at his age. Nagamitsu herself much enjoyed, too, for doing his choreo, so that it ended up to be one very elaborate and interesting program. To her surprise again, less than a week, he not only memorized each movements and every choreos, but also did skate it till the end with great sensitivity and intricacy. "Without doubt, this boy soon gets out of this place and will compete on the international top stage." Nagamitsu believed so watching him skate. This was how the long journey of Nagamitsu and Takahashi got started.

"Nobody but men must dance!", is one of her strong beliefs. "Do you get to see bellet? If so, you can see male dancers do have physical strength and more stamina quite naturally, right? That means they have more room for performing and for better articulate/delicate presentation skill." Top male skaters have more or less the same technical contents including hardest jumps. It does not differ much in order to determine a winner. Then what does at the end of the day? The deciding factor should be 'the ability to perform'. That has been her strong conviction from a long time ago.
"What's on your mind to let boy skaters dance in a showy way to attract audience attention???" Teased about her preference by her colleague male coaches, she never changed her conviciton and carried it through over the years.
When Takahashi returned to competitive skating after injury on the knee and its surgery, his TES remained 'unstable' for a while. But what saved him at Vancouver was his ability to dance; which reflected in his very high PCS.

In Nagamitsu's plan for the Olympics, she wanted a foreign coach who has high profile, is influetial to and favored by judges, to sit by Takahashi's side in the Kiss & Cry waiting for its score to come up at Vancouver. He stubbornly rejected her idea. When they had to part ways with Nikolai Morozov, she advised him to go to Brian Orser, YuNa Kim's coach back then. His answer, 'No'. She suggested at least Pasquale Camerlengo his choreographer to sit with her and Takahashi in the K&C in Vancouver. Again, 'No'.

"I wanted nobody but coach Nagamitsu by my side in the K&C. I simply followed my instinct. Through all my days with her (fighting against my injury and my opponents), as my placement at the Olympics proves itself, I once again realized how great a coach she is for me."
Looking at him now, she says with a laugh, "Dai is still a mere boy to me, I thought, but he often surprises me with his maturity these days!"

Tuning in very well to each other, Nagamitsu and Takahashi brought the very first Olympic medal of men's figure skating to Japan.
-----------------------------------
(cont'd)

Last edited:
What a wonderful relationship Daisuke and Mrs. Nagamitsu have! Each brings out the best in the other. He is the ideal skater to prove her ideas about dancing on the ice, while she is obviously the ideal coach to bring out his unique and extraordinary talent. And they both trust each other so much. She never gave up on him while he recovered from his injury, and he refused to stand under the international spotlight without her. In a way she is his first and finest "auntie."

Thanks for this installment of Daisuke's life story!

deedee1

Record Breaker
<4>

As a little girl Nagamitsu suffered from asthma and often had spasms of coughing. "Doing a winter sport will do good for her health.", her father thought. She started figure skating on her father's advice, because he was a fan of Junko Ueno (maiden name, now Mrs. Junko Hiramatsu) who was the top Ladies single skater of Japan at that time. There was a building full of movie theatres named 'Juraku-kan' which flourished pre- and post-World War II in Kobe, and its top floor had an ice rink. It was Spring in 1960 when her father took his little 9 y.o girl to that rink for the first time.

Nowadays Nagoya probably is the biggest foothold of figure skating in Japan. It was, however, Kansai area during 1950's and 1960's: Osaka had rinks in Umeda and Namba, there were other ice rinks available all the year round in Kobe and Kyoto, too. You could see a profusion of top Japanese skaters there. To name a few, Nobuo Sato on his top form as a competitive skater who recently inducted into Figure Skating Hall of Fame, Kumiko Ohkawa (now Mrs. Kumiko Sato, Nobuo's wife), Junko Ueno, Kazumi Yamashita (now Mrs. Ohnishi), Haruko Ishida (a sister of famous movie actress Ayumi Ishida, now Mrs. Okamoto)...all of whom competed at several Winter Olympic Games.
"Mr. Sato's double Axel had such a beautiful parabolic orbit! A thing of beauty even to the eyes of untrained child like myself. When I attended a competition one day, I remember I got so so nervous because I had to share a hotel room with Kumiko sensei!"
Hisako Nanki was the very first ISU judge from the Japan Skating Federation. Utako was fascinated to get to see Mrs. Nanki wearing a fur and fluttering it as she elegantly walked around the rink. Traveling abroad was simply a dream for ordinary Japanese people back then. Upon her overseas competitions, Kimiko Ueno used to record them in 8mm films, then showed them for other skaters in her home rink. Watching them and listening to lots of interesting episodes from Kumiko, young Utako dreamed of her own overseas competitions some day...
-----------------------
(cont'd)

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Deedee1, thanks for your translations! I would know none of this without you translating.

Thanks for the link! It's a great interview!

He says when he's skating, he wants everyone to watch him, and you can totally tell. Off ice, he seems like a cool, normal guy, but when he skates he transforms. You can tell that he wants people to watch him, he has that presence on the ice that commands people's attention.

Also I found it interesting that at one point his love life was more important to him than skating. I wonder who the girl was?

deedee1

Record Breaker
Takahashi interview Numero Tokyo, July/August issue, translated in 6 parts. Deedee can take a rest.

Thanks a lot, SkateFiguring. Should be a great read! :love:

How did you know it was about lunch time for me? :biggrin:
I will enjoy every bite of my sandwich and Daisuke~~~

P.S. That magazine was published only yesterday. :eek: Real works by professional dudes. :cool:
I can probably learn millions of things thru this series of translation! :yes:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In his Chinese interview, Takahashi said he has contacted Lori Nichol and is looking forward to try something new with this rare opportunity. However, nothing is finalized and the music has not been selected yet.

redwing

Rinkside
Given his past success with Pasquale, I would imagine Dai will keep working with him for his fs, Kenji for the ex, and possibly Nichol for the sp.