15 beginner looking to upgrade to ice fly or pianos | Golden Skate

15 beginner looking to upgrade to ice fly or pianos

taylorskat3s

Spectator
Hi
I am 15 years old and weigh about 40 kgs (88 pounds). I am currently learning loop jump. i have my waltz, toeloop and salchow. I skate about 4-5 times a week for about 2 hours

I currently have the edea waves with the legacy 8 blade. I have an issue with my heel slipping and not feeling secure around my ankles. I can only get my ankles supported if i tie my skates super tight to the point where i loose circulation and can’t bend my knees properly.

I spoke to my skate tech and she said that my boots are one size too big because she thought i was going to grow when i got them but i haven’t grown at all.

I am wanting to switch to ice fly or pianos because i don’t want to buy another pair of skates for a long time and apparently they have better ankle support. I am aware that they are way above my level but i just don’t want to have to buy another pair of skates

would i have any problems if i switched to ice fly or pianos?

and if i should switch to one of them then which blades should i get with it?

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi
I am 15 years old and weigh about 40 kgs (88 pounds). I am currently learning loop jump. i have my waltz, toeloop and salchow. I skate about 4-5 times a week for about 2 hours

I currently have the edea waves with the legacy 8 blade. I have an issue with my heel slipping and not feeling secure around my ankles. I can only get my ankles supported if i tie my skates super tight to the point where i loose circulation and can’t bend my knees properly.

I spoke to my skate tech and she said that my boots are one size too big because she thought i was going to grow when i got them but i haven’t grown at all.

I am wanting to switch to ice fly or pianos because i don’t want to buy another pair of skates for a long time and apparently they have better ankle support. I am aware that they are way above my level but i just don’t want to have to buy another pair of skates

would i have any problems if i switched to ice fly or pianos?

and if i should switch to one of them then which blades should i get with it?

thanks in advance
Hi. I would find a new fitter and one that will fit your foot for what it needs. Also, with your skill level and weight, you don't need anything higher than an Edea Chorus, if Edea is for you. You won't be able to make a pair of boots last as long as you think just by getting ones that are way too stiff for you. What you will get is injured.

Chorus, Concerto at the most. Coronation Ace or MK Pro standard (no rev) blade.

Good luck! :)

Arwen17

Final Flight
Ice Fly has a high likelihood of being too stiff for you since you're not that heavy and still working on really low level jumps. Piano is even stiffer than Ice Fly.
Also, ALL skates eventually break down. Eventually you will have to replace any skates you buy. There is no pair of skates that lasts forever.

Also, what if your foot does grow again? Or what if you get the wrong size again, and you've just wasted all that money on Ice Fly?
Stay with Chorus for the next couple of years or so. Wait and see if your foot grows any more. Wait and see if you get to the point of working on double jumps. The bare minimum to be able to bend Ice Fly would be at least working on doubles and at least 120lbs or more of body weight.

And this is all assuming you're determined to stick with Edea. You could try on other skate brands as well.
Edea does not and will never have much support in the ankle. It's designed that way on purpose. But your heel shouldn't be slipping around.