2014 Olympics Ice Dance Event Discussion | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ice Dance Event Discussion

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I asked on a separate thread if anyone wanted to do a Sochi Ladies rescore, but let's not. Let's instead discuss whether we picked a worthy winner for the 2014 ID event.

I have less knowledge about ID than the other disciplines, so I hope this will be a healthy, informative discussion. I can only speak "artistically" in these cases: for me, Virtue/Moir had a MUCH better piece of Interpretation compared to everyone else in their Short Dance. I am entirely unsure why they were placed behind Davis/White on PCS.

Virtue/Moir's Free Dance is less good and a bit fake (I mostly only enjoy Virtue's performance in it; the lift positions are utterly random) but yet again I must take issue with the PCS there, as Davis/White's is entirely bland, not even remotely what Scheherazade is about - none of the sexuality or intrigue or sense of festivity. But, V/M behind on PCS again.

What's the deal? Anyone wuzrobbed here? Was D/W's TES at least enough to give them the win anyway? What about the others in the event, is the podium correct at all?

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I don't agree with you. I have very little knowledge about ID myself, but I was mesmerised by D/W's FD, and not at all by V/M's. In my view the SD of the one wasn't better than the other. Perhaps V/M could have gotten a bit more than they did, but it would have made no difference in the end as D/W's FD was so much better. Not bland at all in my view. I still watch this FD quite often because I really enjoy it. Although I don't really do the 'wuzrobbed' thing in any case, I definitely don't find it appropriate here. But, me knowing hardly anything about ID except whether it can keep me spellbound or not and that the twizzles are synchronised or not, I'm sure some posters could point out exactly where I am getting this wrong (or not)!

With regard to the podium, I distinctly recall thinking about I/K that I really liked their FD, although I felt very sorry for P/B at the time because I was really rooting for them to get an Olympic medal. But I/K really did a good job at that moment (they repeated it at Worlds a month later, but then they had lost too much points in the SD to get on the podium; it was that WC with 0.06 punts between nrs. 1 and 3 with 2 even in-between).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well, I have knowledge about ice dance. I have said since even before the event happened that D/W could have fallen on their faces and they still had it locked in with the judging panel.

My personal judging opinion? The podium should have been V/M, D/W, I/K in that order.

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
My personal judging opinion? The podium should have been V/M, D/W, S/K in that order.
This is how I'd have it too, but again only based off how much I liked their performances. I might even place I/K second based off their FD...

I guess basically I think V/M should be 3 times ID OGM (4 including PyeongChang Team Event). I only have a slight doubt with Vancouver where I found D/W having the best OD, instead, but V/M were better elsewhere...