2016-17 GPF Ladies FS | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Ladies FS

Lzbee

Final Flight
Satoko getting a plus three on even her best jump already signals that we may have a Sith Lord in control of the senate. Be mindful of your feelings :coffee:

The only +3's she got for jumps were from Judge 3 and Judge 6 and one from Judge 8 for her 2A-3T. No other judge gave her a +3 on any of her jumps. Satoko had seven +3's for jumps in total. In comparison, Evgenia got 4, Anna got 2 and Kaetlyn got 10.

Ok I get what you mean but the words you chose does not equal to what you're really trying to say. It sounds harsher. SkaterX robbed medals off another skater is an active action in which the skater actively skewed the scores.

In that case, I apologise for my choice of words. I didn't want to say Anna was robbed as it implies she was underscored whereas I think she was scored about right.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

magicalwords

On the Ice
Such a shame about Satoko's tiny jumps because the program itself is a championship program for me.

Pogo was great but I can't help feeling how labored some of her jumps look. Some she makes it look really easy (flip) but others (3-3) not so much :(

Lipea

Final Flight
Consistant calling of UR should be a priority for ISU, because it has such drastic impacts on the lives of these skaters. What would the final placements been today if that caller from Cup of China was here? Or if a more lenient caller had been in China would Ashley have made the Final? It is just nuts.

The whole system of judging UR-s is so wrong.
First, it is wrong to downgrade BOTH the base value and the GOEs of the jump. Either one or another would be fair.
Second, considering how costly it is because of the above, the referrees/tech controllers should be punished harshly for applying URs when there is clearly none, or for ignoring when there is obviously one and/or there must be a possibility to appeal.
Thirdly, if the system cares so much about URs, then it should take into account the prerotations too.

Honestly, I would ignore both, and would simply let it be reflected on GOEs.

andromache

Record Breaker
The whole system of judging UR-s is so wrong.
First, it is wrong to downgrade BOTH the base value and the GOEs of the jump. Either one or another would be fair.
Second, considering how costly it is because of the above, the referrees/tech controllers should be punished harshly for applying URs when there is clearly none, or for ignoring when there is obviously one and/or there must be a possibility to appeal.
Thirdly, if the system cares so much about URs, then it should take into account the prerotations too.

Honestly, I would ignore both, and would simply let it be reflected on GOEs.

Ignoring it and leaving it up to the judges is the worst possible idea. It should be counted in BV and left up to judge's discretion for GOE - if the UR didn't disrupt the jump, award whatever GOE you want.

I like the idea of ACTUALLY HOLDING TECH PANELS ACCOUNTABLE for their decisions though.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think GOE has to be negative for a UR jump under current ISU rules but it's hard to make a case for a UR jump to receive positive GOE in very many cases in my opinion. That is to assume the UR's are being called fairly though and I'm not sure that is usually the case. :giveup:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Ignoring it and leaving it up to the judges is the worst possible idea. It should be counted in BV and left up to judge's discretion for GOE - if the UR didn't disrupt the jump, award whatever GOE you want.

I like the idea of ACTUALLY HOLDING TECH PANELS ACCOUNTABLE for their decisions though.

This. There is no consistency when it comes to the tech calls.

Lipea

Final Flight
I don't think GOE has to be negative for a UR jump under current ISU rules but it's hard to make a case for a UR jump to receive positive GOE in very many cases in my opinion. That is to assume the UR's are being called fairly though and I'm not sure that is usually the case. :giveup:

I think that UR-punishment is unreasonable because there is no point to downgrade something that has already been downgraded.
If the UR-jump, the base value of which was diminished, looks good what's the point of giving it negative GOE?
If one jumps a duple jump instead of triple the GOE of that jump don't drop because there are less rotations.

Eislauf

On the Ice
I'm very impressed with how Anna has blossomed. Hard to believe she's still just a teenager given the maturity, elegance and sensuality in her programs. It's really nice to see her succeeding.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just trying to get to the root of the problem. It's not the skater as a person it's the problems with judging and tech calling of COP. It really is staring to ruin the sport, Imho.

I do agree with you there. Trust me, I'm not an Evgenia "hater", I quite like her actually, and I know she's really only playing a role that Eteri and Averbuckh and the rest of their team decides for each of her programs. I would say the vast majority of people who are actually "Evgenia haters" are moreso fans of one or two particular other skaters who's records could be broken by her, and aren't fans of figure skating in the general sense. Evgenia's job is essentially to skate her programs to the best of her ability and let the cards fall where they may, she doesn't have anything to do with the so called "inflation" she gets, yet the "haters" act as if she's the one coming up with the PCS numbers. It's sad really, people say terrible things without thinking through the who and what and why and how of her scores.

Same thing is still happening for Adelina.

Eislauf

On the Ice
I think Averbukh and Eteri did a enormous disservice to Medvedeva with the 9/11 program. They chose it and she went along with it because it's their job to coach and guide her.

Had the program been based on music from a critically acclaimed movie, as Yulia's stunning LP was with Schindler's List, it might have worked. But as it stands, it comes across as cheap, crass and tasteless, especially with the heavy-handed sound effects. Averbukh has poor Medvedeva twizzling away when Bush first speaks. Let's not even get into the pantomiming that he (or Eteri) has her do.

Medvedeva has a gorgeous, ethereal, delicate quality to her skating. She's also a teenager. Give her something that suits her style and her age.

I just hope Medvedeva wasn't used by her coach or choreographer to garner attention for themselves in choosing such provocative music for her.

Last edited:

Lipea

Final Flight
Watched the event finally. Beautiful job, ladies - much stronger GPF than ever.

Yes, there was definitely big overscoring for Evgenia, however, I cannot disagree with the overall placement, which seems very reasonable under the current score system.

Evgenia, or actually Eteri's team, know perfectly well how to squeeze out maximum of points from this system, and their work is aimed towards receiving the highest scores. She actually even improved herself since last competitions: looks faster (lost weight for that?), esp. spins. The discipline and will one must have to reach such degree of stability and refinement of such a complicated choreo (and staying so light-weight while healthy) is indeed beyond the words impressive.

Similar applies to Satoko. Her SS and choreo, as well as spins are quite amazing and she surely is constantly working on improving other elements. She seems also to inscrease her speed a lot. The programs for this season are ones of the bests.

As much as I love Pogo and happy for her another clean skate, I can totally see why she lost to Satoko and Medved PCS-wise. Pogo's perfomance seemed similar to her FS in Boston, which I saw live and despite clean, there was a significant degree of stiffness every time before a jump. It especially shows in her arms and noticable loss of speed before some jumps. Besides that, of course it was a great skate. If she didn't mess up that loop landing in SP she would have been rightfully on the second place.

Elena - expectable.

Anyway, the overall difference between top 3 should have been by a very small 1-2 points margin, but the placements seem right regardless.

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
I disagree with her PB and don't like her programs but Medvedeva is such a sweetie. I love her otakuness about Yuri on Ice and Kpop on Twitter, lol. She's also a yaoi fan. Plisskin approves :)

Exactly what I'm thinking too! She has such a great personality.

rvi5

On the Ice
I think that UR-punishment is unreasonable because there is no point to downgrade something that has already been downgraded.
If the UR-jump, the base value of which was diminished, looks good what's the point of giving it negative GOE?
If one jumps a duple jump instead of triple the GOE of that jump don't drop because there are less rotations.
Perhaps it is the way they look at it? eg. If a skater attempts to perform a triple, but only gets 2 1/3 around (or whatever), the jump BV is downgraded to a double. However technically it could then be viewed as an over-rotated double jump (unless the intended triple happens to land exactly 2 turns - unlikely unless intentional?). Could the negative GOE be applied for an over-rotated double jump?

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
I would say the vast majority of people who are actually "Evgenia haters" are moreso fans of one or two particular other skaters who's records could be broken by her, and aren't fans of figure skating in the general sense.

I can say for sure that I am definitely a fan of figure skating in general :agree2:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Since I have very mixed opinions about the overall scoring of the competition, this time I'll start off each review with the TES and PCS.

1. Evgenia Medvedeva: TES was overscored, PCS was overscored. Enough said - I think people here have already stated all the necessary info. :biggrin:
2. Satoko Miyahara: TES was overscored, PCS was (finally!) right. There were some URs that weren't pointed out in her skate and the GOEs for her jumps were too high. But the program is great and the performance quality was superb as usual.
3. Anna Pogorilaya: TES was right, PCS was a little overscored - but only by like a point or less. Anyways, I think she really deserved the silver here (and I think I'm the only person who thinks she did kinda have a case for the gold too :slink:). She had the best performance of the FS and was spectacular from every angle.
4. Kaetlyn Osmond: TES was a little overscored, PCS was overscored. While the SP works well for Kaetlyn, I'm still not so sure about this FS. She had good performance quality in the SP but this FS is still not really showcasing that strength. But what she did do was very nicely done, like the jumps and the skating skills. Who knew that Kaetlyn would go from being such an inconsistent skater to being one of the main contenders? Her improvement is impressive and I'm excited for her next year.
5. Maria Sotskova: TES was right, PCS was a little overscored. But wow...her performance was truly breathtaking. The program is still kinda boring, but somehow I enjoyed her performance a lot this time. Her artistry has improved so much and the graceful skating was gorgeous to watch. Nice 3Lz-3T as well. I knew that Maria was going to be a contender this season due to her consistency, but I never expected her to impress me this much.
6. Elena Radionova: TES was a little underscored, PCS was...a little overscored?(not too sure for this one). Up to COC, I kept doubting Elena even though I'm a fan because her jumps were so iffy all the time. But after that I started to think that maybe she'll still be able to do well despite the issues. However, it seems that she is indeed struggling with her jumps. I hope that she brings in the fire she always has into Russian Nationals and skates well.

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist
I think Averbukh and Eteri did a enormous disservice to Medvedeva with the 9/11 program. They chose it and she went along with it because it's their job to coach and guide her.

Had the program been based on music from a critically acclaimed movie, as Yulia's stunning LP was with Schindler's List, it might have worked. But as it stands, it comes across as cheap, crass and tasteless, especially with the heavy-handed sound effects. Averbukh has poor Medvedeva twizzling away when Bush first speaks. Let's not even get into the pantomiming that he (or Eteri) has her do.

Medvedeva has a gorgeous, ethereal, delicate quality to her skating. She's also a teenager. Give her something that suits her style and her age.

I just hope Medvedeva wasn't used by her coach or choreographer to garner attention for themselves in choosing such provocative music for her.

I try to imagine Evginia skating to Satoko' s Jupiter program :love:

Why does Anna always finish behind the music in this program? Is it intentional ?