2016-17 GPF Short Dance | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Short Dance

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Papadakis/Cizeron being interviewed by French TV. The journalist asked them what they think about the doping scandal in Russia :scratch2:

Was the journalist French?

This is utterly ridiculous, how on Earth is this question anything to do with FS and right after their program? :hslap:

madison

Record Breaker
A well deserved lead for V/M, they were the class of the field.

Shibs over marked in 2nd. Don't like hip hop and it does not suit them. Not sure was he was dressed for but it was not a hip hop dance. I don't think it is worth a 3+ PB.

P/C over marked but I think I would have them 2nd. Never seen him stumble before, skating directly after V/M made it even harder for them.

B/S liked it, they were marked fairly. The routine has grown on me over the season but also possibly the fact it was followed by two hip hop 'events' made it look better

H/D hated it. I have a headache from all the music cuts. The judges loved, a big PB for them

C/B don't like the dance but the judges showed them no love. Should they be worried? They definitely seem to have lost US No. 1 rank.

Shibs were clearly over-marked in the 2nd mark... They don't have a great presence on ice, they look rather small and she particularly wearing that trousers doesn't look aesthetically pleasant (short legs and so on).

andromache

Record Breaker
Shibs were clearly over-marked in the 2nd mark... They don't have a great presence on ice, they look rather small and she particularly wearing that trousers doesn't look aesthetically pleasant (short legs and so on).

Lol is this someone pretending to be Madison Chock?

keasus

On the Ice
A well deserved lead for V/M, they were the class of the field.

Shibs over marked in 2nd. Don't like hip hop and it does not suit them. Not sure was he was dressed for but it was not a hip hop dance. I don't think it is worth a 3+ PB.

P/C over marked but I think I would have them 2nd. Never seen him stumble before, skating directly after V/M made it even harder for them.

B/S liked it, they were marked fairly. The routine has grown on me over the season but also possibly the fact it was followed by two hip hop 'events' made it look better

H/D hated it. I have a headache from all the music cuts. The judges loved, a big PB for them

C/B don't like the dance but the judges showed them no love. Should they be worried? They definitely seem to have lost US No. 1 rank.

Alex is dressed more in line with the classic Sinatra look. The entire SD is based on a mash up (I think that's what they call it in hip hop) of a classic Sinatra song, hence the reference to the Sinatra crooner image.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
A very fairly scored short dance, IMO. Loved V/M. Liking B/S more all the time. Too bad about P/C's stumbles but I bet they come out strong in the free. Shibs deservedly 2nd by a fraction but I hate their music mix in the second half. Unlike many posters I love Donahue & Hubble's short. It keeps evolving, growing, and they got a season's best. They have incredible ss. C/B are in the right place for sure - they were slow, she stumbled onto her knees, and I see their skating skills as weaker than the rest of the field.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
After watching JR and SR events so close together, I have to say that I enjoy the JR blues more than the SR midnight blues. The glide and extension in JRs is beautiful and I like that they repeat the pattern. And my favorite SD of the season remains the Parsons sibs.

madibe

On the Ice
Tessa and Scott were INCREDIBLE. This short dance of theirs is already a classic.

I'm a little worried about Gaby and Guillaume. This is the second competition in a row where they have made uncharacteristic mistakes and find themselves with a score that is really not competitive with Virtue/Moir. With a 3 point deficit going into the free, it's hard to see how they can come back and win here.

Is the race for the next Olympic title already kind of over? I'm afraid a hierarchy between the two couples has already been created.

Sackie

Medalist
C/B may be in last place but their score is still pretty good for having a major error! And the French are only 2 TEC points behind V/M even with their errors. GOE is really getting more and more out of whack!

madison

Record Breaker

maybe you liked it, but i certainly did not... As far as i know, in figure skating and especially in ice dance the posture, the presence and the costumes count a lot... so why not the skaters try to maximize their pluses rather than doing the opposite??

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Interesting that P/C and the Shibs received the same score on their twizzles....

sowcow

On the Ice
Uhm, why do I feel that I'm the only one that feels that the young American teams are the only ones that actually took the Blues/Hip hop requirement literally....

Cuts and sampling are one of the things that characterizes sampling.....critiquing it seems to me to be like criticising skaters for actually using Spanish music when that was the required pattern...

I get what you're saying about "cuts and sampling"; but what H/D currently have is just a bunch of songs strung/stitched together one after the other.

IF
for their hip-hop section, they had instead used just 1 main background song/beat and then mixed in quick 3-4 second "samples" of all the (in)famous songs they're using now, I think it may have succeeded.
  • I also think it would have been easier to choreograph, and would have resulted in more fun & quirky performances — as they'd have these little surprise samples to play-up for the audience and judges!
  • Just imagine, for instance, suddenly hearing an unexpected...
► "ohh baby baby, ba-baby baby"; then later, a...
► "I like big butts and I cannot lie"; followed by a...
... [OK, these happen to be overly sexual example samples/lyrics; but you get the idea...]

...Then I think your argument would be fully applicable! [Although, even as applied to their current SD, it's a very interesting point you make!!]
:dance::dance2::rock::party::party2:

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
but whats wrong with the teams who got a Level 3 on pattern steps? I thought it looked okay. Anyone could tell me please?

Last edited:

AliAle

On the Ice
Tessa and Scott were INCREDIBLE. This short dance of theirs is already a classic.

I'm a little worried about Gaby and Guillaume. This is the second competition in a row where they have made uncharacteristic mistakes and find themselves with a score that is really not competitive with Virtue/Moir. With a 3 point deficit going into the free, it's hard to see how they can come back and win here.

Is the race for the next Olympic title already kind of over? I'm afraid a hierarchy between the two couples has already been created.

I don't think it's decided, they had weak showings both here and at NHK. The best indicator of hierarchy for me is the SS Mark, as long as that's pretty close, it's a matter of who skates the best and hits their levels. They need to get their confidence back (esp. Guillaume) and skate the heck out of their free like we all know they can. Only then we can see where they really stand. Not to mention Olympics are more than one year away.

C/B may be in last place but their score is still pretty good for having a major error! And the French are only 2 TEC points behind V/M even with their errors. GOE is really getting more and more out of whack!
Except the mistakes were on transitions, not on the technical elements, so there should not be a GOE impact like the one they had with the lift at NHK. If you look at the Performance score though, they def. lost some points there.

Last edited: