2018 Worlds Mens Short Program | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Mens Short Program

dalenofff

Rinkside
Boyang needed to kill those jumps stone cold dead, and he didn't. So, the score seems fair. I thought the other elements were all strong, especially the StSq! And the emotional intensity of it all was unrivaled in my opinion due to his incredible focus, commitment, and internalization of the music and concept.

Nathan, Vincent, and Shoma seemed a bit overscored in comparison. Kolyada was fabulous, though. I would like to have seen him in first place.

Kolyada only did one quad , Nathan and Vincent did two, with hardest difficult.. Kolyada PCS is higher because he been in the game longer and had good performance before.. Overall I think the score reflect what each skater had done.. Jin would have been in the lead if he didn't get an UR call. Since I don't have slow motion replay, i will have to believe the judges know what they are calling with UR...

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Dima must have been < on something right? He landed everything? He popped the second quad but it was still a triple. Most everyone only had one quad if that. Confused.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
This entire season is drunk and dragging its heels. We need it to be off season time, stat.

ISU has turned figure skating into a wounded animal crawling to the side of the road looking for a place to die.

Well, not skating, but our livers.

Leelee425

On the Ice
I just walked in after a night shift and I turn on the tv to watch the men’s short program, but of course I catch the end (Shomas score and the standings)...what the? Nathan Chen in first, not a big shocker, but Vincent is 3rd, Kolyada 2nd, Keegan Messing is 6th (Do love me some Keegan though)?! :eeking: Holy cow, what happened??? Poor Shoma that boot must be a real issue, either that or he has an injury we don’t know about, or it’s just sheer fatigue from this long long season. Either way can’t wait to watch this!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Nathan Chen, in what parallel reality are we living in that your 3A is your jump with highest GOE?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Paul Fentz is awesome. His 3A is was textbook today. HUGE. So good to know he is as wonderful of a person as he is a skater.

I was surprised how kind he was to everyone. Daniel Weiss (commentator) was like 'These scores are undeserved, and blabla..." But Paul was like. "No, it's totally deserved." I just love when a skater who is in the business himself tells the commentators how it is. He was complimentary of all of them, he said he was a huge fan of Kolyada and Aliev and praised their wonderful technique. He said he had talked to Nathan at the Olympics and thinks he is just wonderful. Paid many compliments to Boyang and his wonderful Lutz, said Shoma's skating skills marks are very deserved. Not one bit of jealousy or something. When he retires he should commentate. The repetitive criticism of commentators who left the sport decades ago needs to disappear.

Leonardo

Final Flight
I don't know why people think that Kolyada was overscored. His blade work is gorgeous, his posture is one of the most beautiful amongst the men's competition, his interpretation of the music and his choreography are very strong and his jumps have perfect technique, height, flow, everything. His steps and spins were also excellent, as the performance itself. Nathan on the other hand had poor spins, mistakes on the jumps, looked rushed and far from his best artistically. Boyang scored 8.6+ for pcs and had problems and an ur call on his 4t. I don't think there was anything absurd in the scoring here.

edit: Boyang's ur call was not justified, his TES should be higher and that would put him in the top 3.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Dima must have been < on something right? He landed everything? He popped the second quad but it was still a triple. Most everyone only had one quad if that. Confused.

He Zayaked the pop so invalid element (he already did the 3T in his combo so he can't do another one)

plus his lutz was <

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I just walked in after a night shift and I turn on the tv to watch the men’s short program, but of course I catch the end (Shomas score and the standings)...what the? Nathan Chen in first, not a big shocker, but Vincent is 3rd, Kolyada 2nd, Keegan Messing is 6th (Do love me some Keegan though)?! :eeking: Holy cow, what happened??? Poor Shoma that boot must be a real issue, either that or he has an injury we don’t know about, or it’s just sheer fatigue from this long long season. Either way can’t wait to watch this!

Shoma does have an injury in addition to the boot thing

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Quad lutz was called <, the 3T isn't worth a lot of points since it's the easiest of the triples and then he probably lost some level somewhere between spins and steps.

Roast Toast

Medalist

By popping the quad into a triple he repeated the jump, which is invalid in the short. That's why he scored so low.

edit: oops, outpaced by a gazillion people.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's actually an interesting part of the book where they talk about how the Asian esthetic can be very different from the western esthetic (for example in pairs Chinese audiences did not respond to the lovely dovey stuff that is so popular with the judges who are mostly from the west)

Second Mark. Is that the one that took Sale/Pelletier, Elena/Anton, and Shen/Zhao from their very beginnings?

If I'm thinking of the same book, it was a riveting read.