2018 Worlds Mens Short Program | Page 62 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Mens Short Program

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is this the first time Mexico made the FP at senior worlds or any senior ISU championships (Counting the Olympics).

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
We are in dire need of some goal line technology, jump rotation version cause some of these calls are just ---

Boyang 4th again?:dev2:
He needs to channel his inner king (yuzu) and queen (aliona) and rise up in the FS. :dev2:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Is this the first time Mexico made the FP at senior worlds or any senior ISU championships (Counting the Olympics).

They had a ladies skater make the free a few years back... I think like the first or second year of IJS. He is the first man from Mexico to make the free at words under the current judging system. Donovan made the free at 4CC this year.

And yes I am VERY happy he made the free in his first appearance. He is the only guy without a 3A to do so.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
We are in dire need of some goal line technology, jump rotation version cause some of these calls are just ---

The is... we likely are to the point that we could attach a very light weight sensor to the boot and do just that. And I for one would love it. Heck... lets measure how deep of an edge they get while we are at it.

Grin

Medalist
Srsly, it makes my eyes bleed when I look how Visent or Nathan 'glide'. Chen has improved since last year, but he isn't Yuzu or even Kolyada. He isn't OC or defending 2 time world champion. I don't understand why judges treat him as if he is both world champ and OC.

skate29

Rinkside
I don't necessarily think there is this intent to constantly hold Boyang down.. I wouldn't have called his 4T, but it was a bit of a wonky landing and close to the boards so it probably drew more attention and scrutiny than it otherwise would have. Regarding his artistry: there are definitely issues with posture and edge work and whatnot, but I think a big issue is that he gets compared a lot to Nathan, who has very quickly found a unique style that gives him at least a guise of being an artist, while Boyang seems to sort of still be looking.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Kazuki with Shoma's costume and Yuzuru's music... God I really hate those screeching violins.

Logirl

On the Ice
With boot issues resulting in a right foot injury. I think Shoma is just skating to try and hold on to Japan spots.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I hope the pressure doesn’t get to Keegan. He and MT/M need to keep their top 10 placements after their teammates 💩 the bed and didn’t make the free skate.

Totally. Messing has over a 10 point cushion on Tomono so he should be fine. And at the Olympics he was solid under pressure. Even if Nam or S/B made the FS, it'd still be hard to get 2 spots in mens and pairs. Hope MT/M can hang on because going down from 3 pairs spots to 1 would be disastrous (although somewhat understandable with D/R gone).

da96103

Record Breaker
When judges go home tonight, all your Made In China electronics will malfunction.

Shane Shame Shane

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Srsly, it makes my eyes bleed when I look how Visent or Nathan 'glide'. Chen has improved since last year, but he isn't Yuzu or even Kolyada. He isn't OC or defending 2 time world champion. I don't understand why judges treat him as if he is both world champ and OC.

Um, I think what he got for PCS is completely fair, and he was definitely NOT overscored on TES either. His step sequence and upper body movements are really top notch, even if they seemed to have truly peaked in the beginning of the season. (i.e. they were phenomenal at the two GP events, but they were just 'decent' here - and this is reflected in the PCS imho).

skate29

Rinkside

I mean... Nathan's PCS here was a full four points below Yuzu's at the Olympics. At the Olympics, Nathan's FS (supposedly the skate of his life) got PCS a full five points below Shoma's and nine points below Yuzu's. He definitely doesn't deserve much higher, but I don't really see the overscoring.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Really? Bleed? I'm sure there's a cure for that. :rolleye:

Chen isn't getting the PCS that a world champ or OC is getting, and he has the two hardest quads (both quads harder than Yuzu's SP, and a 4F which Mika can't do).

In comparison, Uno isn't OC or defending 2 time world champion and neither is Kolyada and they both got world champion level (95+) PCS, for one-quad skates (with the easiest quad, at that).

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

He has the most ambitious program, so with that huge TES, PCS will inevitably rise even if he doesn't deserve it.

It's a shame because this works only for skaters who represents the most influential federations, Boyang Jin is the first one who brought the 4ltz (a real one) in men figure skating, but i haven't seen the same treatment for him. (arguagbly in the first season he was more a jumping bean, but since last year he started to develop his own style, also thanks to Lori Nichol)

evangeline

Record Breaker
Chen isn't getting the PCS that a world champ or OC is getting, and he has the two hardest quads (both quads harder than Yuzu's SP, and a 4F which Mika can't do).

In comparison, Uno isn't OC or defending 2 time world champion and neither is Kolyada and they both got world champion level (95+) PCS, for one-quad skates (with the easiest quad, at that).

Where in the rules does it say that the number/difficulty of quads in a program should affect PCS?