2018 Worlds Mens Short Program | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Mens Short Program

SpiffySpiders

On the Ice
Wow, the scores right down through the FP qualifiers are much closer than I expected to see. I like it. I won't say I like the order, but no one has pulled so far away that it's all decided. There's still lots to skate for.

da96103

Record Breaker
Hello, is this the International Police? I would like to report an theft of 3rd placing or better from a Chinese national? Yes please place this case to the top of your list."

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I really didn't want Nathan to barely have competition to a World title... but with Shoma's foot issues, Boyang's PCS being what they are comparatively and Mikhail being a really big wild card in the FS, I think Nathan has got this in the bag unless he Skate America's his FS.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Y'all, we need to start praying for Japan's spots. I know this isn't the Deepest Field Ever for Japanese men, but I'm getting traumatic flashbacks to 2015 worlds.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Wow, I'm sure Zhou never expected to be third after the short!

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Boyang's skating skills are actually really good. It's just that his PCS scores put him as "inferior." This is one aspect where reality is way different than his scores.

After seeing him in person, I don't get why the same judges who also see him live think his SS are so bad. I'd say he isn't as smooth as butter as Shoma or Yan Han, but it's not the gap the score gives him.

He doesn't have the edge quality of Chen or Kolyada when they perform they're best, but neither of them really used their edges particularly strongly today. Some skaters use them consistently - Kostner being the prime the example, though Jin is fairly consistent. Some are on-and-off, Pogorilaya was my favorite example because she'd vary even in the middle of the program. But if you have the reputation for it, you get the credit for it whether or not you deliver on the day. I thought today they should've been closer.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Well these are some funky standings... Kolyada 2nd, Zhou 3rd Messing 6th... Feel bad for Dima, they dumped him :( And from the looks of it Moris bombed again :sad21:

Deniss 9th though! Highest he has even been in Worlds SP. :)

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Women peak much earlier these days. Caro is the exception, not the rule. And the women are also burning out and/or being injured out at a much earlier age. And no, I don't think that's a coincidence.

I was talking about brain/mental abilities, not about tech abilities :biggrin:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Blimey, I was just able to keep an eye on the live scores! Looks like it's coming away at the seams for some... oh my!

For Russia to get 3 (or even 2) spots, they should have taken someone who was actually in form and consistent this season...Sergei Voronov!
But anyway, Misha is doing well. I'm very pleased and I want him on the podium.

It's over and out for Moris, boohoo.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I really didn't want Nathan to barely have competition to a World title... but with Shoma's foot issues, Boyang's PCS being what they are comparatively and Mikhail being a really big wild card in the FS, I think Nathan has got this in the bag unless he Skate America's his FS.

I don't trust any of these men :laugh: I think Boyang is going to fight his way up, though. I have to believe that he will.

fredtx121

On the Ice
After Shoma's weaker SP (3S+3T), this is Nathan's Championship. If he skates clean or like he had done at the Olympics, he will win. However, Mikhail Kolyada for some strange reason I think the judges are going to boost him up over Nathan if there is even a slight mistake.

disco_dannio

Rinkside
I'm not a Boyang fan at all but even I'm looking a little side-eyed at the PCS in comparison to Kolyada and Nathan.

Why? I don't like Nathan that much, but Kolyada actually has excellent skating skills. Great blades, strong posture, great stroking, etc. If he could actually get some EXPRESSION in his programs, have some 'real' choreography (ie, not Russian-style 'choreography') and nail his jumps, I'd put him way above Jin.