2018 Worlds Mens Short Program | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Mens Short Program

MMajik

Rinkside
I can’t believe it that Shoma is getting 94+ for a uncleaned sp that only got a 3s2t combo, seriously, even girls don’t do that combo in their sp nowadays! Oh yes and Boyang is getting only 1 point more for a almost clean sp (I don’t think that 4t should be called since Vincent’s are all fine) with a 4lutz combo and a 4t....for artistry, I don’t think there is such big difference, and I really enjoyed Boyang’s performance today.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I don't understand how anyone can tell from the camera angle whether Boyang's 4T was rotated or under rotated.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
For anyone who is interested Paul Fentz was commenting on the stream and complimenting everyone in the last group with very, very kind words. While the commentator let lose his usual criticism he was so positive for everyone!
I also enjoyed his commentary. Great that he agreed to do it and I liked his combo!

I wonder if Shoma's foot injury has something to do with bis flip technique. If that's the case he'll have a hard time in the FS. Lutz, flip and loop will be problematic ... but this is ging to be a competition, I thought that it was really Shoma's to lose before the SP.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t get up this early even if Jason were skating :laugh:

but upon review:

Donovan made the cut:love::love: And I don’t care about gun hands, cut me a break. He’s got it.

Denisssssssss!:love::love: he has it too. Of course. But now he is showing it.:cool:

Misha. :luv17: great way to go out, although I would have you behind Denissss.....

Who needs the final flight?;)

Logirl

On the Ice
All we know so far is the new boots caused an injury to the right foot. I do not know how he can rework the long program. I do not know if he can even put a combo on the triple axel. How many single quad toes and triple axel can he do. If he can help Japan keep two spots I think he would be ☺. He was smiling after the short. And some poster on here talking about triple salchow combo when have you ever known Shoma to watet down his program this much. Never.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Alright, I am 2 years late to this but WHO chose Nathan Chen's SP music? That's some truly fantastic avant garde taste right there. Benjamin Clementine is superb and not widely known.

WineHerUp

On the Ice
Srsly, it makes my eyes bleed when I look how Visent or Nathan 'glide'. Chen has improved since last year, but he isn't Yuzu or even Kolyada. He isn't OC or defending 2 time world champion. I don't understand why judges treat him as if he is both world champ and OC.

Preach, Nathan and Vincent both skate so small and the only thing remarkable about their skating is the quantity of jumps.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I have mixed feelings for this men competition. I don't know how Boyang landed in 4th that could have been 5th provided Shoma didn't change/bomb his SP. Yes he jumped both quads too close to the border. At least for the combination I had feared he would land beyond the boards. I have no idea how he managed to tweak it and land the 3 T inside. The 4T was also close to the boards, but at least he didn't need to do another jump in combination. Still his 4Lz is AMAZING.
I agree the points for Shoma should be in the lower 80s if you ask me, and I love Shoma.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Kazuki with Shoma's costume and Yuzuru's music... God I really hate those screeching violins.

I love them :laugh: This is the easiest way to get me to love a program. I did notice the Shomaesque costume though.... and loved it more! It's funny how some of us are suckers for things others just can't stand.

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
Soooo... just some quick thoughts from the arena:
Tried to watch some replays as it was almost impossible to tell if Boyang had fully rotated that or not, but honestly I still can’t tell.

Mikhails scores were completely deserved - Nathan.. well... Nathan was Nathan. I think seeing it live made me just that bit more aware of how empty the program is besides the jumps (in comparison to Shomas for example).

My unexpected favourite? Kazuki. Also really glad that Julien and Donavan both got through.

Also just for everyone complaining that this is what will break the sport: I can just say as someone having seen it live: it was absolutely fantastic. Not really that much a splatfest, exciting until the very end and despite how tired everyone seemed giving their very best.
You can argue a little about the exact points but I would have put them in the same order.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I can't with the hate on Misha. He skates pristinely clean, and people still have problems with his scores, even though it's not like he's the first guy ever to break 100 with one quad. And he put effort in his performance, so I don't get what's the problem with PCS. I'm proud of him. It really looks like the 4Lutz might've been too much for now if the first competition he does without it goes so well for him. Hope he got his confidence back :)

Happy for Keegan and Donovan! Sad that Dima had his Nobu moment... ah the zayaking screwing your scores :( But I stil want Russian Men to earn 3 spots!

icybear

Medalist
Boyang quad toe was probably just under 0.25 under rotated but Vincent Zhou quad lutz was definitely over 0.25 under rotated yet the judges only deducted Boyang. Disgusting.:curse:

Hayashi

Rinkside
Good fight from Shoma despite the injury. I love his intensity and the way he feels the music w his whole body.
Hi. I agree. I love the way he feels the music and is always trying to improve both his technique and his dance

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I can't with the hate on Misha. He skates pristinely clean, and people still have problems with his scores, even though it's not like he's the first guy ever to break 100 with one quad. And he put effort in his performance, so I don't get what's the problem with PCS. I'm proud of him. It really looks like the 4Lutz might've been too much for now if the first competition he does without it goes so well for him. Hope he got his confidence back :)

Happy for Keegan and Donovan! Sad that Dima had his Nobu moment... ah the zayaking screwing your scores :( But I stil want Russian Men to earn 3 spots!

Not impossible. Misha arguably can get to the 3rd place, and Dima has well within his reach the 10th place.