2018 Worlds Mens Short Program | Page 65 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Mens Short Program

Why did he leave?

Robert Burke is listed as his coach on wikipedia...

Sorry...that is my bad! I thought Nam was still with Tracey! :eek:: Robert Burke is also listed on Nam's ISU bio.

I still think team Brian O did well for Nam. And as he left the CC a few years back (before I found GS, a wealth of info :biggrin:), I can't say why he actually left Brian.

yexiu

Rinkside
Shoma's combo should have gotten a +COMB though...he literally spinned a whole 360 on the ice. And that 3A did not deserve such high GOE.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Sorry...that is my bad! I thought Nam was still with Tracey! :eek:: Robert Burke is also listed on Nam's ISU bio.

I still think team Brian O did well for Nam. And as he left the CC a few years back (before I found GS, a wealth of info :biggrin:), I can't say why he actually left Brian.

I remember he has started to miss his jumps, but he just have finished his grow spur, so I think they could come back...

Wonder if Borser and team would take him back?

It didn´t look like there was a great problem between them, they just announced he was leaving and there...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Shoma's combo should have gotten a +COMB though...he literally spinned a whole 360 on the ice. And that 3A did not deserve such high GOE.

A turnout is allowed. The GOE should have been lower though because the 2T was sloppy and there was a turnout, but he's not the first skater to get lenient GOE on a sloppy combo.

I thought the 3A did deserve as much GOE as it got. It wasn't HIS best 3A, but it was good enough for +2s at least, and arguably +3.

dalenofff

Rinkside
Srsly, it makes my eyes bleed when I look how Visent or Nathan 'glide'. Chen has improved since last year, but he isn't Yuzu or even Kolyada. He isn't OC or defending 2 time world champion. I don't understand why judges treat him as if he is both world champ and OC.

They treat him like a champion that won everything he enter this year , then screw up on his short in the Olympic but still won the long program!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Burak really skates from the heart

It made me smile.

In Polish burak means ... beetroot.

Beatroot really skates from the heart.

''Burak jedzie całym swoim sercem'' or "... jedzie z całego swojego serca*"

But burak also colloquially means ''hillbilly'' here but only with the most negative, possible associations of this word (rude, arrogant etc.)

I don't envy being any Turkish boy with his name living in Poland :drama: :laugh:

* slight difference in meaning

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I don't remember very well the nationals (Canadian), but I think Nam landed on the podium with a good FS. Unfortunately he couldn't do any LP here. Apparently right now his problem is more the SP. It was not only that he fell twice, but he only got level 2 in camel spin and in steps. I find that a bit harsh, but I am not sure if he missed rotations or not. I am really sorry for Nam, as this is the second time he does not qualify for LP, and that after placing 5th at his first WC. I know that he is a much better skater than it looks.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I don't remember very well the nationals (Canadian), but I think Nam landed on the podium with a good FS. Unfortunately he couldn't do any LP here. Apparently right now his problem is more the SP. It was not only that he fell twice, but he only got level 2 in camel spin and in steps. I find that a bit harsh, but I am not sure if he missed rotations or not. I am really sorry for Nam, as this is the second time he does not qualify for LP, and that after placing 5th at his first WC. I know that he is a much better skater than it looks.

I remember how he sat and sat in the waiting area while guys after him failed and failed to top his result :D My mom thought he was really cute.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Kolyada's artistry may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I personally love it. I'm not very optimistic regarding the FS, but I hope he'll prove me wrong. :)

Shoma:sad21:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh, they should not, but hey, we don't live in a prefect world. My point is simple, it is even more outrageous when skaters without titles and skills needed for high PCS are scored as if they are true artists on the ice.

Like the Grand Prix Final title and two GP golds? Or does the Grand Prix Final not count as a legitimate title? :biggrin:

Even without the Olympic individual medal, Chen has been the winningest man on the senior circuit this season.

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Was a really good short program overall for an olympic season. I'm glad Nathan could do justice to my favourite program of the season (Benjamin Clementine!), even though he had to fight hard for it. I hope being first doesn't add too much pressure for him again. My second favourite program is Aliev's (he was made for it!). A pity he did that mistake. I agree with the placings all in all with the exception of Boyang who of course was robbed (I had already thought they had abolished ur calls until this injust one). For the first time I enjoyed Vincent Zhou. Regarding the scoring it is nothing new that I neither find appropriate over 90 points for a program without a quad nor over 100 points for a program with only one quad. Kudos to the oldies like Bychenko, Majorov, Ge, Fentz and of course Messing who was probably the biggest surprise today.

Grin

Medalist
Like the Grand Prix Final title and two GP golds? Or does the Grand Prix Final not count as a legitimate title? :biggrin:

Even without the Olympic individual medal, Chen has been the winningest man on the senior circuit this season.
You better ask ISU how much PCS each title brings to a skater. It would be fun if they make it official )

cheerio2

On the Ice
Boyang robbed again. If I were him I would probably quit skating. He has the best jumps in the biz outside of Yuzu. He has improved in his presentation as well. His skating skills are good. But clearly the judges will never let him get close to winning anything no matter what he does, why keep wasting time doing this. Might as well go to college and get a good career going.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Boyang robbed again. If I were him I would probably quit skating. He has the best jumps in the biz outside of Yuzu. He has improved in his presentation as well. His skating skills are good. But clearly the judges will never let him get close to winning anything no matter what he does, why keep wasting time doing this. Might as well go to college and get a good career going.

Now you are depressing me.

But I do feel for Boyang, he is a good egg, and he does look like he is putting effort. This and what he says about his mom does made me want to cry :sad4:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Didn't he win 4CC this year? He also got pretty good PCS here. I guess I don't really see someone who is on the podium more often than not as being "robbed again."

Sackie

Medalist

FYI - Nam placed 12th in his first SR worlds - and 5th the next year.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

He should skate as long as he enjoys it and looking at him, he enjoys it. He's probably come to terms that he's going to be chronically underscored.

I mean what can he do? He cannot change nationalities and that's the true problem here. So now Vincent is higher placed than him. It's a farce but at that point, you either square it with yourself and do it for yourself and honestly, looking at Boyang, he does seem to be handling his growth as a skater his own way, trying to go for overall improvement, which I cannot help but admire and just simply going for it, and what happens happens. Major, major props to the man.