2018 Worlds Mens Short Program | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Mens Short Program

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Kolyada's artistry may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I personally love it. I'm not very optimistic regarding the FS, but I hope he'll prove me wrong. :)

Shoma:sad21:

He has super presence on the ice. Even if his Elvis program is far from a choreographic masterpiece he still manages to make it worth watching.

twirlingblades

Medalist
I don’t know why Jin always jump so close to the boards.. he hung onto that 4T and that probably doesn’t help the borderline UR call.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Boyang robbed again. If I were him I would probably quit skating. He has the best jumps in the biz outside of Yuzu. He has improved in his presentation as well. His skating skills are good. But clearly the judges will never let him get close to winning anything no matter what he does, why keep wasting time doing this. Might as well go to college and get a good career going.

He was robbed, but that's a silly thing to say. Maybe he actually enjoys skating and entertaining people. Medals are not everything - plenty of undeserving people get them, and others who deserve them do not, but are still very beloved by fans.

I don't care if he misses the podium here, I enjoy his skating infinitely more than the current top 3. And I know I'm far from the only one. I mean, I do care a lot when good skaters are robbed, but unfortunately the sport has always been like this, especially for those from the non-big 4 countries.

girl in red

Rinkside
I am totally frustrated...boyang doesn t deserve this.I am coming to milano,i need to have a small talk with the judges:curse::dev3:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And Chen even got +GOE for it! Go Figure!

Chen's 4F looked UR to me, but the tech panel has their own replay angles. My bigger gripe is that it clearly lacked steps going into it, and wasn't adequately marked down for it.

But honestly, I think Kolyada was overscored and Chen should still be leading him by a couple points, so it's all good. And it won't make a difference in the FS if Chen skates like he did at the Olympics.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
:confused: :unsure:

Logical fallacy here :biggrin: Aliev had 4T solo planned, but solo 2T would not bring any points either because any solo double non-axel jump is deemed invalid. But maybe he should start his SP from solo 4T so he can always adjust if he pops quadruple into triple.

Unless you think that Aliev is a psychic with a unique talent for precognition :drama:

Yeah, thats right. But I dont know. To be frank, i just think someone must be stupid to zayaked SP. Being Aliev or someone else. Sorry, but i think that :biggrin:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I can't with the hate on Misha. He skates pristinely clean, and people still have problems with his scores, even though it's not like he's the first guy ever to break 100 with one quad. And he put effort in his performance, so I don't get what's the problem with PCS. I'm proud of him. It really looks like the 4Lutz might've been too much for now if the first competition he does without it goes so well for him. Hope he got his confidence back :)

Because he does not have skating skills anywhere near to PChan, nor the performance ability of a Daisuke or Lambiel or anything to merit those absurd PCS scores. Because he was propped up all season partly because of the myth that he had multiple quads, which he obviously does not. Because he's been overscored at every competition this season and now he gets a score higher than Dima got in Pyeongchang with a 4lz-3t and 4t??? With all jumps in the first half? Sure, good for him for finally skating one clean program after watering down the content. But there's no justification for a 100+ score here.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Vincent is underscored in pcs too, I mean, Kolyada had better interpretation to music? no way.

Agree with this. I thought they were about the same in the interpretation/performance department, and Vincent had the most difficult AND clean jumps. I think the scoring is very questionable.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Boyang robbed again. If I were him I would probably quit skating. He has the best jumps in the biz outside of Yuzu. He has improved in his presentation as well. His skating skills are good. But clearly the judges will never let him get close to winning anything no matter what he does, why keep wasting time doing this. Might as well go to college and get a good career going.

I don't think he has the best jumps in the biz by any means, save for his 4Z - which is amazing.

His presentation has improved, and his edges are deeper, and this program is intense - but it still doesn't feel quite properly packaged. He still feels like a boy trying to skate maturely, and his presentation still has a ways to go, but hey, it's only his 3rd senior season after all. He's found success in these 3 seasons too, 4th at the Olympics, two World bronzes, a 4CC title. Maybe even another World medal soon.

The judges are being more favourable to him... all his PCS scores were in the 8's with a couple of 9's. He even scored 8.68 in interpretation, which is good for him. With an error, he still almost tied his PB PCS that he got for a clean SP at the Olympics. Honestly though, what were some people expecting for Jin's SP... 9.00+'s across the board and 45+ PCS?!

twirlingblades

Medalist
Chen's 4F looked UR to me, but the tech panel has their own replay angles. My bigger gripe is that it clearly lacked steps going into it, and wasn't adequately marked down for it.

But honestly, I think Kolyada was overscored and Chen should still be leading him by a couple points, so it's all good. And it won't make a difference in the FS if Chen skates like he did at the Olympics.

The 4F doesn’t look under to me, definitely not flat but within a fourth.

WineHerUp

On the Ice

He was definitely robbed, but I don't like this mentality of quitting because of unfavorable results because it's poor sportsmanship. Winning is nice obviously, but not winning doesn't necessarily mean wasted effort. He may not have gotten the score that he deserved on this day, but one of these days he will force the judges to give him the scores that he rightfully deserves by continuously improving. Additionally, the next Olympics will be held in his home country and it's probably really important for him to be there. There's a clear upward trajectory in his development (not applicable to just any skater) so I'm not worried about his future in the sport ;).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agree with this. I thought they were about the same in the interpretation/performance department, and Vincent had the most difficult AND clean jumps. I think the scoring is very questionable.

I would agree with you, except Vincent also had a stumble (in his footwork, yes, but I still consider it as detrimental to the program). Keeping Vincent under 40 PCS was correct, but Kolyada should have not been above 45. I also think Kolyada has more finesse, so he should be a bit higher in Interpretation, but not by a whole lot. For a one quad program, I thought it was really generous. Kolyada's good, but not a just-one-quad-but-over-100-points kind of good, IMO.

You thought Vincent's jumps were clean? When compared to Boyang's, especially?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think he has the best jumps in the biz by any means, save for his 4Z - which is amazing.

Then take it as a comment on the current men's field.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He is beloved by fans. That doesn't mean that his hard work is straight up always ignored. That's why some fans even have this reaction -- for the athlete's sake who'll never be good enough no matter what they do.

Agreed. Jin has the 4th highest total of any of the men this season, and over 300 points at that. That to me tells me the judges are willing to give him gold-medal-worthy marks if he delivers. Although if Uno and Chen and Hanyu and Fernandez also deliver, it's not a reflection of Jin being hosed so much as him simply not measuring up to seasoned/polished/technically stronger skaters.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Because he does not have skating skills anywhere near to PChan, nor the performance ability of a Daisuke or Lambiel or anything to merit those absurd PCS scores. Because he was propped up all season partly because of the myth that he had multiple quads, which he obviously does not. Because he's been overscored at every competition this season and now he gets a score higher than Dima got in Pyeongchang with a 4lz-3t and 4t??? With all jumps in the first half? Sure, good for him for finally skating one clean program after watering down the content. But there's no justification for a 100+ score here.

Half of the skaters don't get scores they deserve. It's not overscoring of century either. Does Bruno Massot get PCS he deserves? No. He's not Aliona, but judges turn blind eye. I don't see everyone talking like it's profanation. Clean skates tend to have higher PCS. PChan would deserve higher PCS if he skated clean. And I'm pretty sure he'd get them. I get it, he's not to your tastes and that's okay. Shoma is not my tastes either, but I don't hate on him every single time he got overscored.

twirlingblades

Medalist
Half of the skaters don't get scores they deserve. It's not overscoring of century either. Does Bruno Massot get PCS he deserves? No. He's not Aliona, but judges turn blind eye. I don't see everyone talking like it's profanation. Clean skates tend to have higher PCS. PChan would deserve higher PCS if he skated clean. And I'm pretty sure he'd get them. I get it, he's not to your tastes and that's okay. Shoma is not my tastes either, but I don't hate on him every single time he got overscored.

I think clean skates should gets higher PCS relative to the skaters themselves. Unclean skates (especially pops/falls) detract from the performance.