RUS (2 + 15 = 17)
CHN (4, only skater) - up from 1 spot
JPN (5 + 11 = 16) - down from 3 spots
CAN (6 + 18 = 24)
ISR (7 + 16 = 23)
UZB (8, only skater) - up from 1 spot
LAT (9, only skater) - up from 1 spot
SWE (10, only skater) - up from 1 spot

Japan is in danger of losing their 3rd spot, unfortunately, as they only have 16 placement points at the moment.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
How 2019 spots would play out solely based on the SP placements:

3 spots

USA (1 + 3 = 4)

2 spots

RUS (2 + 15 = 17)
CAN (6 + 18 = 24)
ISR (7 + 16 = 23)

Japan is in danger of losing their 3rd spot, unfortunately, as they only have 16 placement points at the moment.

Technically China had 2, it's just that Yan Han WD and the China Fed didn't replace him. So it would be the name number of spots.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Also, my reactions at looking at the placements (since I was at work during the event)

KEEGAN IN THE FINAL GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUP

Yay for Vasiljevs and Majorov making the top 10 in the SP!

DONOVAN MADE THE FS DONOVAN MADE THE FS DONOVAN MADE THE FSSSSSSSSSSS

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Technically China had 2, it's just that Yan Han WD and the China Fed didn't replace him. So it would be the name number of spots.

Yes, true. But I was more considering based off of one competitor actually competing.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, it's ridiculous that Kolyada with this amazing skate got less PCS than Shoma.

Uh, disagree. He got a PCS personal best with a program that was one less quad than his CoC skate that had 2 quads and essentially the same choreo.

COC2018: 43.50 (8.75/8.36/8.93/8.75/8.71) - http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpchn2017/gpchn2017_Men_SP_Scores.pdf
WC2018: 45.22 (9.07/8.86/9.07/9.11/9.11) - http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/wc2018_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

The composition hasn't changed much, and his SS haven't improved considerably either. I guess you could say the TR deserves higher with the lutz spread eagle exit, but not 0.5 higher, IMO. I would only give him higher marks in PE and IN.

A one-quad program from Kolyada doesn't deserve over 100. He's simply not at the level of Chan (WC2017) or Hanyu (OWG2014) to merit that.

And I say this as someone who is a fan of him, and think he's one of the best (if not the best) Russian man in 15 years (Plushenko's got the credentials/accolades/consistency... but at their best, I prefer Kolyada... even with one quad, Kolyada's SP here was superior to any of Plu's SPs, IMO).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, true. But I was more considering based off of one competitor actually competing.

Interesting enough, if Jin places top 2, that means China gets THREE spots at next years Worlds. Whereas including Yan and him placing top 13 or lower means only 2 spots even if Jin came top 2. I know Yan WD'ed but makes me wonder if this was strategy too?

It was a Javier Fernandez scenario where I remember he won 2015 Worlds as the only Spanish entry or Kim when she won 2013 Worlds as the only Korean entry... both countries could have fielded 3 spots at the following Worlds or Worlds/Olympics (Spain and Korea only had 2 spots at 2016 Worlds and 2014 Worlds, but Korea had 3 entries in Sochi).

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Interesting enough, if Jin places top 2, that means China gets THREE spots at next years Worlds. Whereas including Yan and him placing top 13 or lower means only 2 spots even if Jin came top 2. I know Yan WD'ed but makes me wonder if this was strategy too?

It was a Javier Fernandez scenario where I remember he won 2015 Worlds as the only Spanish entry or Kim when she won 2013 Worlds as the only Korean entry... both countries could have fielded 3 spots at the following Worlds or Worlds/Olympics (Spain and Korea only had 2 spots at 2016 Worlds and 2014 Worlds, but Korea had 3 entries in Sochi).

Yeah sometimes it might be strategy. Sometimes it also might be not having another suitable entry or even one with the minimum TES.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Uh, disagree. He got a PCS personal best with a program that was one less quad than his CoC skate that had 2 quads and essentially the same choreo.

COC2018: 43.50 (8.75/8.36/8.93/8.75/8.71) - http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpchn2017/gpchn2017_Men_SP_Scores.pdf
WC2018: 45.22 (9.07/8.86/9.07/9.11/9.11) - http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/wc2018_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

The composition hasn't changed much, and his SS haven't improved considerably either. I guess you could say the TR deserves higher with the lutz spread eagle exit, but not 0.5 higher, IMO. I would only give him higher marks in PE and IN.

A one-quad program from Kolyada doesn't deserve over 100. He's simply not at the level of Chan (WC2017) or Hanyu (OWG2014) to merit that.

And I say this as someone who is a fan of him, and think he's one of the best (if not the best) Russian man in 15 years (Plushenko's got the credentials/accolades/consistency... but at their best, I prefer Kolyada... even with one quad, Kolyada's SP here was superior to any of Plu's SPs, IMO).

I don't understand why people keep saying he doesn't deserve the PCS for only have one quad. That doesn't have anything to do with it. He was clean with nice flow and landings, that's the only part of tech that factors into the performance category of PCS. If you're arguing about not deserving 100 with one quad - you should be talking about TES. But it looks like he deserved his GOEs. In regards to PCS, he has huge presence on the ice as well was nice posture. Maybe his interpretation could be lower do to lack of emotion. But his skating skills are excellent and should be much higher than the top 4. I honestly do not see the problem here. Especially in comparison to Nathan, he has less than 1 point in PCS above him. The only thing better in PCS about Nathan is the choreography, but he didn't exactly perform that choreo today...

And I say this as someone who is not a fan of him and thought Dima should have been in the team at OG and maybe even Sergei should have been sent to the Olympics despite Misha being Russian champ

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
How 2019 spots would play out solely based on the SP placements:

3 spots

USA (1 + 3 = 4)

2 spots

RUS (2 + 15 = 17)
CAN (6 + 18 = 24)
ISR (7 + 16 = 23)

Maybe something will change, remember remember last world´s placements

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't understand why people keep saying he doesn't deserve the PCS for only have one quad. That doesn't have anything to do with it. He was clean with nice flow and landings, that's the only part of tech that factors into the performance category of PCS. If you're arguing about not deserving 100 with one quad - you should be talking about TES. But it looks like he deserved his GOEs. In regards to PCS, he has huge presence on the ice as well was nice posture. Maybe his interpretation could be lower do to lack of emotion. But his skating skills are excellent and should be much higher than the top 4. I honestly do not see the problem here. Especially in comparison to Nathan, he has less than 1 point in PCS above him. The only thing better in PCS about Nathan is the choreography, but he didn't exactly perform that choreo today...

Having higher difficulty confers itself to greater PCS because it makes the whole program harder.

It's why a skater who does quads should get rewarded more artistically than someone who opts to do just doubles/triples. To execute the same or similar choreography but taking the risk and stamina of harder elements should lend itself to higher program scores because it's more impactful than a skater who dumbs down their content or plays it safe.

I wouldn't say he has huge presence, he has finesse. His skating skills are strong but not the greatest. The choreography is good but not sensational.

I actually think that today Kolyada and Chen deserved about the same PCS. Chen's program is more complex and he risked way harder difficulty to do said program at the same time, but Kolyada was aesthetically not as scrappy (although he also had considerably easier difficulty).

As far as Sergei going - that's only in retrospect to how Kolyada did. He could have done as bad or worse, for all we know (but we'll never know). It's easy to point out the guy who actually competed and failed. If Kolyada did better, on the other hand, there's also no telling if Voronov would have done even better. Past is the past.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
So... does anyone know what that male announcer was talking about regarding a "special competitor" after the short program ended and all the final rankings were up??? So random.

Oh yeah and props to the skaters :agree:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^It was a person dressed up in a teddy bear costume who came out and skated.

Jedi

On the Ice
Agree with this. I thought they were about the same in the interpretation/performance department, and Vincent had the most difficult AND clean jumps. I think the scoring is very questionable.

Well then that new Canadian American guy Messing was even more robbed for PCS - he should h ave beaten Chen for pcs.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Having higher difficulty confers itself to greater PCS because it makes the whole program harder.

It's why a skater who does quads should get rewarded more artistically than someone who opts to do just doubles/triples. To execute the same or similar choreography but taking the risk and stamina of harder elements should lend itself to higher program scores because it's more impactful than a skater who dumbs down their content or plays it safe.

I wouldn't say he has huge presence, he has finesse. His skating skills are strong but not the greatest. The choreography is good but not sensational.

I actually think that today Kolyada and Chen deserved about the same PCS. Chen's program is more complex and he risked way harder difficulty to do said program at the same time, but Kolyada was aesthetically not as scrappy (although he also had considerably easier difficulty).

As far as Sergei going - that's only in retrospect to how Kolyada did. He could have done as bad or worse, for all we know (but we'll never know). It's easy to point out the guy who actually competed and failed. If Kolyada did better, on the other hand, there's also no telling if Voronov would have done even better. Past is the past.

I don't think having a more difficult program warrants more PCS. Maybe in terms of transitions, but Nathan didn't have many of those today. For the same reason, Carolina always got high PCS even with easy content, and only drops a bit when she falls multiple times, because that disrupts performance. And I don't think Mikhail really has finesse. For example, Patrick is someone who finesse, and less-so presence, where as Mikhail has better presence, imo of course.

And I didn't say anything about Sergei doing better, just that I preferred him over Kolyada when the selection was being made.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well then that new Canadian American guy Messing was even more robbed for PCS - he should h ave beaten Chen for pcs.

I disagree. Messing showed way more personality so I'd give him IN and PE over Chen, but he skated small in comparison. He was charming, but not commanding as Chen was - not to mention, his difficulty was considerably lower than Chen. I love what Messing has put out there, but Chen deserved higher PCS hands down.... and this is a Canadian tellin' ya that. ;)

Sportfan

Match Penalty
I was hoping Boyang could win this. But happy with Mikhail's placement.
Will Chen pull a Gracie Gold? Will Boyang repeat his 4CC success? Mikhail a world medalist for Russia's men after a long time? The long program is going to decide :dbana: