2019-20 Ladies' power ranking | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Ladies' power ranking

readernick

Medalist
If they do that and skate clean, of course. But with harder elements, its less likely to see clean skating. Jason Brown last year finished 2nd in the short without a quad. Rika didn't medal last year at Worlds etc etc So, everything is possible.

That is also true. You have to skate these programs relatively cleanly for them to matter. Also, as Mathman mentioned below there are UR issues with almost all Ladies quads right now . Most of the quads that were ratified were actually UR (Valieva's 4T is the exception for me(it looks like a real quad )sometimes Sasha's 4T).

But, the champion of ladies skating will soon be determined by how many quads and 3As the skater lands. It is the future of the sport, unless something changes in the scoring system. And, the PCS factoring in ladies is still lower than in men's so the second mark will have almost no impact.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The first update:

#1-2 Alina Zagitova (235 - 240) -0.5

#1-2 Alexandra Trusova (230 - 245) +0.5

Sasha made the history with 3 clean quads. She scored 238 same as Alina's record just because she did not deliver the big combo and stumbled. If she is the only leader we shall see at JO where she will face both Zagitova and Kihira

#3 Rika Kihira (225 - 240)

#4 Anna Scherbakova (220 - 230)+1

Anna won her first duel with Liza even though there was a massive outcry about her SP score. She heavily depends on her 4 Lz so that nothing is over yet.

#5 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (215 - 235) -1

Liza landed all her jumps and still lost to Anna with a score below 220. She needs to think of a better jump layout while keeping 3A stability. The fight for the third spot will be difficult.

#6 Evgeniya Medvedeva (220 - 225) +1

#7 Alena Kostornaya (215 - 220) +1

#8 Bradie Tennell (210 - 215) +1

#9-10 Kaori Sakomoto (205 - 215) -3.5

It's early in the season but I did not like how she skated at Nepela. It was the same a year ago, though.

#9-10 Satoko Miyahara
(205 - 215) +0.5

I did not see her skate in the U.S.A. I just saw the protocols. Downgrades and URs - judges won't give her an easy pass this season.

The first update:

#1-2 Alina Zagitova (235 - 240) -0.5

#1-2 Alexandra Trusova (230 - 245) +0.5

I think the page has turned. Katarina Witt was the best of her era, as was Carol Heiss in hers. Alina Zagitova was the best in the "twilight of the triple jump" era, say 2017 to 2019.

But I think the time has slipped away when a figure skater could win a championship with GOE and SS over someone who delivers three quads.

But who knows. Maybe someone will pull a Lysacek at the 2022 Olympics and become the last lady in history to win a gold medal without a quad.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I think the page has turned. Katarina Witt was the best of her era, as was Carol Heiss in hers. Alina Zagitova was the best in the "twilight of the triple jump" era, say 2017 to 2019.

But I think the time has slipped away when a figure skater could win a championship with GOE and SS over someone who delivers three quads.

But who knows. Maybe someone will pull a Lysacek at the 2022 Olympics and become the last lady in history to win a gold medal without a quad.

I would fully agree with you if they allowed quads in the short program. Then "adios, muchachos". However, as of now quads are not allowed and Trusova does not have a 3A. Her expected SP score is 75 while Alina's is 82. Then she needs to clear a 7 point difference. It's doable - Alina's FP best is 158.50 and Sasha got 164 with a big mistake. But it's not obvious that she will be able to deliver her crazy content in full when it matters most: the Nationals and the Worlds. Therefore, I would not proclaim her as an undisputed leader yet. We all remember last season and Rika Kihira.

I would fully agree with you if they allowed quads in the short program. ...

This is an interesting point. The proposal floated by Alexander Lakernik of having separate artistic and technical tracks might be relevant here.

At present, the ladies short program is sort of like the imagined "Artistic Program" in that GOEs and PCS play a large role and big jumps are somewhat proscribed.

The LP is the technical program where you jump up a storm and the devil take the hindmost.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I would fully agree with you if they allowed quads in the short program. Then "adios, muchachos". However, as of now quads are not allowed and Trusova does not have a 3A. Her expected SP score is 75 while Alina's is 82. Then she needs to clear a 7 point difference. It's doable - Alina's FP best is 158.50 and Sasha got 164 with a big mistake. But it's not obvious that she will be able to deliver her crazy content in full when it matters most: the Nationals and the Worlds. Therefore, I would not proclaim her as an undisputed leader yet. We all remember last season and Rika Kihira.

I think Sasha's PCS will be higher when she finally faces off Alina, though, and so even though she barely beat her total WR because of the lower SP score, I think the higher PCS will bump her up further.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think Skate Canada will be very interesting.

It is Trusova's GP debut.
Kihira will be there.
Medvedeva will be there and will be something of a "home" favorite.
Whole bunch of other amazing ladies will be there too.
UR calls at SC are frequently called frequently and often determine outcomes.
Worlds happens to be in Canada this year.

Plus, I get to go to SC:).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
This is mine so far

1. Alexandra Trusova
2. Alina Zagitova
3. Rika Kihira
4. Anna Shcherbakova
5. Alena Kostornaia
6. Kaori Sakamoto
7. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
8. Evgenia Medvedeva
9. Young You
10. Satoko Miyahara

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I think Skate Canada will be very interesting.

It is Trusova's GP debut.
Kihira will be there.
Medvedeva will be there and will be something of a "home" favorite.
Whole bunch of other amazing ladies will be there too.
UR calls at SC are frequently called frequently and often determine outcomes.
Worlds happens to be in Canada this year.

Plus, I get to go to SC:).

I completely agree, Ice Dance, and I'll be there too :biggrin:

I think with Trusova's mostly clean programs and big scores at Ondrej Nepela, she's at the top of any rankings for now. She's not my favorite but I'm really looking forward to seeing what she's like live in Kelowna.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
She's a competitor. I think she'll get it done.

At the end of the day, the UR calling is most likely to do in Med.

But things did not work out that smoothly for Trusova at the JGPF in Canada last year. (And actually none of the junior Russian ladies looked consistent in practices there. They hit more than I expected, honestly; and Trusova only nailed one of her quads there. Jet lag is a real thing).

readernick

Medalist
1. Trusova ( last year she was only landing her quads 50% of the time.. this year they seem stable)
2. Rika ( she scored 224 with a very watered down, due to slight injury, program at Autumn Classic and her nerves seem less of an issue , right now. She says the 4S will be in her program at Japan Open..if she adds it and remains consistent she is the only one who might challenge Trusova)
3. Alina. ( she will have a PCS advantage at the beginning of the year but I think it will go away as the year progresses.. She is not a Carolina like skater)
4/5 Anna S/Elizaveta T. ( Anna won the first round but if Liza had landed a clean 3A or skated her program elements as planned she would have won...I think this match up will be the most interesting on the GP because Anna is not very consistent with her quad and Liza often lands her 3As but in a way that makes it impossible for her to get high GOE)
6/7 Aliona/ Med. ( Aliona is, as someone mentioned, truly a Jason Brown like skater in that while her BV is not high her execution of each element and her performance/SS are first rate/ Med has nice programs this year and received the highest PCS so far)
8. Satoko ( she obviously has jump problems but the programs are just stunning this year and since she moved to work with Lee Barkell, I think she may be able to fully rotate her jumps which is all she really needs to do because her GOEs on non jump elements are really high)
9/10 Kaori/ Young You ( Young has great jumps.. the 3A is not yet stable but I think it will improve as the season goes on/ Kaori has great SS and I think her jumps will improve as the season goes on)

Honestly, I have no idea if this list is close to correct We haven't seen Bradie perform and most of the skaters haven't gone head to head in competition. Only after the GPs, will we truly know.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
As of now:

1. Trusova- if she goes clean no one can beat her.
2. Zagitova/Kihira The only ones who could probably come close to a clean Trusova, Kihira, IF clean with a quad could maybe even win.
4.Shcherbakova
5.Tuktamysheva
6. Sakamoto- rough start, but she did the same last year.
7. Medvedeva- looks to be in great shape, but with her BV she will need to be clean.
8. Young You- I could see a Kihira like rise in store for her, but with the state of Russia this season that may not be such a big impact.
9. Lim/Miyahara

STILL TO SKATE: Tursynbaeva, Kostornaya, Tennell, Bell, Gold

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Supposed that Alina will never add a quad :)

I know she said she won't rise difficulty this season, which was smart statement, but seeing her at test skates her jumps were so strong and secure that I doubt she would not aspire for it. Many much weaker ladies now try quads and even if Alina wouldn't add them this season, she definitely will before the next olympics.

... even if Alina wouldn't add them this season, she definitely will before the next olympics.

Maybe so. Still, if we are talking about "power rankings right now," I have to go with the person who has landed three quads in competition ahead of the skater who hopes to attempt one next year.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Alina and her team talked a lot about quads when she was struggling last season. In retrospect it seems like PR talk.

I think she can ride on skating clean and securing GOE for quite a while. Maybe even until next Olys.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Alina and her team talked a lot about quads when she was struggling last season. In retrospect it seems like PR talk.

I think she can ride on skating clean and securing GOE for quite a while. Maybe even until next Olys.

At least we've seen Alina really training them. Which cannot be said about some others, who are promoted as "having perfect quad Salchow".

Fluture

Record Breaker
At least we've seen Alina really training them. Which cannot be said about some others, who are promoted as "having perfect quad Salchow".

I‘m not aware of any lady being promoted as having a perfect quad Sal other than Sasha who’s already landed it in competition. Unless you mean Rika, from whom we‘ve seen multiple attempts off-harness (!) and even those were sometimes UR and noted as such by the forum. Nevertheless, Rika has explicitly said she’ll include it this season. As for who else is known to be training the 4S from the ladies - Zhenya? She said herself she‘s still often falling on her attempts and at best manages the full rotation. So, nope, no idea who you‘re talking about.

I have absolutely no idea if Alina will go for the quad next year. Maybe, maybe not. She can certainly try if it‘s stable enough and I‘ll wish her good luck. But since she‘s explicitly said she won’t introduce a quad this season, it seems pointless to discuss in a thread exactly about this year.

voolfee

On the Ice
You probably confuse Alina and her team with someone. They never talked much about her quads.

You mean that one video after nationals? That was more of a messed up PR.
This video was uploaded by Rozanov, it isn't clear when it was shot and did Alina and Eteri give permission to publish this video. Rozanov isn't part of the adult team and he isn't even following Alina on insta and she isn't following him.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I‘m not aware of any lady being promoted as having a perfect quad Sal other than Sasha who’s already landed it in competition. Unless you mean Rika, from whom we‘ve seen multiple attempts off-harness (!) and even those were sometimes UR and noted as such by the forum. Nevertheless, Rika has explicitly said she’ll include it this season. As for who else is known to be training the 4S from the ladies - Zhenya? She said herself she‘s still often falling on her attempts and at best manages the full rotation. So, nope, no idea who you‘re talking about.

I have absolutely no idea if Alina will go for the quad next year. Maybe, maybe not. She can certainly try if it‘s stable enough and I‘ll wish her good luck. But since she‘s explicitly said she won’t introduce a quad this season, it seems pointless to discuss in a thread exactly about this year.

Just recapitulate how this (again) appeared. The only thing I did was I said that considering how strong her jumps were I doubt she would not aspire to gain quads, because I don't know why I should consider her as quadless for next olympics when we are on the field of considering potential strength of the skaters in the near future. There are opinions about how this or that lady will be stable, what is her potential atc., so I feel completely free to express an opinion about Alina's potential to gain quads. On that statement I don't see anything bad, offensive to anyone etc. that would require such unnecessary (but usual) senseless reaction that anybody gets whenever he makes any positive consideration that matters to Alina (the only PR Alina ever got were her own victories despite predictions "she should retire"), to which I replied the way it deserved. Also I didn't speak about what which any team said, just how some members of the fanbases talk.