2019-20 Ladies' power ranking | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Ladies' power ranking

Ophelia

Record Breaker
For power rankings I believe in comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges. So I would not compare X skater's top performance against Y skaters's meltdown performance.

Medvedeva has higher scoring potential than either Tennell or Bell.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
For power rankings I believe in comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges. So I would not compare X skater's top performance against Y skaters's meltdown performance.

Medvedeva has higher scoring potential than either Tennell or Bell.

Especially when that meltdown performance would've placed her higher in some GP fields that weren't Skate Canada

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
I know scores are hard to compare across competitions, but so are placements across competitions. Scores get you the placement results though. For comparison, here are their GP averages, and overall season averages:

SkaterGP AverageOverall AverageGP PlacementsCS Placements
Evgenia217.69211.155, 22, 1*
Bradie213.73205.492, 42
Liza207.54210.503, 32, 2
Mariah209.28207.903, 31

*Evgenia's 1st was Shanghai Trophy, where she scored pretty low.

Not to intrude in this interesting exchange, but just to clarify, Shanghai Trophy is not a CS event.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Not to intrude in this interesting exchange, but just to clarify, Shanghai Trophy is not a CS event.

I added the asterisk and a little disclaimer near the bottom, but yeah I should have been more clear!

I added it in the table because it was scored like a CS, and didn't want to conveniently omit a competition where Evgenia underperformed. If I remove Shanghai Trophy, Evgenia's average shoots up 6 points!

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
At least two of her 3As were UR. And those are just the ones that were called. That’s why I’m saying she’s struggling with it - the rotation is a problem. She’s landing them, sure, but so is Kihira and she doesn’t have a problem with UR. She could fix it, but URs are not something you can fix overnight.

She's only been doing it for 2 competitions and not fallen or stumbled once. Rika has had her 3A for much longer, not always landed it and has URed it in the past too

I feel as if Alyona is not given enough credit for being able to have it seem so stable so quickly. 2 UR called, 1 uncalled, 3 were rotated. Out of only 6 performed in just two competitions
I'm not seeing that as a problem at all... infact it is impressive!

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
I added the asterisk and a little disclaimer near the bottom, but yeah I should have been more clear!

I added it in the table because it was scored like a CS, and didn't want to conveniently omit a competition where Evgenia underperformed. If I remove Shanghai Trophy, Evgenia's average shoots up 6 points!

I think it’s fair to include it to be comprehensive. It just autocorrected in my head while I was reading, that’s all.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I would say this thread is more of a favorite skater ranking than an accurate ranking based on competition results and scores.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Exactly why I refrain from making such a ranking, I freely admit it would be a bit biased towards skaters I like more

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I was clear on my reasoning of ranking Tennell higher than Medvedeva. I even specifically said I’m not going off scores alone. Again, Tennell’s results are stronger than Medvedeva’s. She already beat her and she qualified to GPF over her. Those are my reasons. They’re competitive scores are also very close. Off the top of my head:

Medvedeva: 217, 191, 209, 225
Tennell: 216, 211, 189

There’s no reason for me to rank Medvedeva higher when there’s also Bell and Tuktamysheva between her and Tennell and they also have stronger results. In fact, I almost placed her at #10, but I want to see another competition from Young.

To be honest, I really don’t care where you place anyone. But I find the positions you’re taking kind of illogical and not very consistent. Basically, you seem to be selecting which facts are going to “count” for which competitors, in order to get a ranking you like rather than applying the same criteria to everyone.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I was clear on my reasoning of ranking Tennell higher than Medvedeva. I even specifically said I’m not going off scores alone. Again, Tennell’s results are stronger than Medvedeva’s. She already beat her and she qualified to GPF over her. Those are my reasons. They’re competitive scores are also very close. Off the top of my head:

Medvedeva: 217, 191, 209, 225
Tennell: 216, 211, 189

There’s no reason for me to rank Medvedeva higher when there’s also Bell and Tuktamysheva between her and Tennell and they also have stronger results. In fact, I almost placed her at #10, but I want to see another competition from Young.

Your power rankings are descriptive instead of predictive then. People should clarify what their power rankings are intended to illustrate.

readernick

Medalist
She's only been doing it for 2 competitions and not fallen or stumbled once. Rika has had her 3A for much longer, not always landed it and has URed it in the past too

I feel as if Alyona is not given enough credit for being able to have it seem so stable so quickly. 2 UR called, 1 uncalled, 3 were rotated. Out of only 6 performed in just two competitions
I'm not seeing that as a problem at all... infact it is impressive!

No doubt Alyona is impressive. Her 3A is beautiful. and it is also consistent. However, based off competitions this year Rika's 3A is less likely to be UR. Both Rika and Alyona have landed all 3A attempts this year. Rika 8 out of 8 (One UR, One step-out) ) and Alyona has landed 5 out of 5 ( 2 called UR (but really 3 UR). So, based on this season Rika's 3A is more stable. Alyona should work on her 3A so it is not UR because many of her attempts in practice and competition are slightly UR. It is not an issue with height or distance ( those factors are amazing), it is her air position. I absolutely think this can be corrected. Pointing this out does not take away anything from Alyona amazing accomplishments. It's just technical information.

To me, Alyona is ahead of Rika in terms of scoring potential right now (they will be tied if Rika's ankle is healed and the 3Lz is back), but she is also more at the mercy of the technical panel. A strict panel will call her lutz edge and possibly call some of her 3As UR.

I just hope that both Rika and Alyona end up on all the major podiums this year, because they are my two favourites. So Rika, get healthy! And, Alyona ...get that 3A clean!

zounger

Medalist
The best way to participate in this thread is to post your own ranking rather than complain about others.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
No doubt Alyona is impressive. Her 3A is beautiful. and it is also consistent. However, based off competitions this year Rika's 3A is less likely to be UR. Both Rika and Alyona have landed all 3A attempts this year. Rika 8 out of 8 (One UR, One step-out) ) and Alyona has landed 5 out of 5 ( 2 called UR (but really 3 UR). So, based on this season Rika's 3A is more stable. Alyona should work on her 3A so it is not UR because many of her attempts in practice and competition are slightly UR. It is not an issue with height or distance ( those factors are amazing), it is her air position. I absolutely think this can be corrected. Pointing this out does not take away anything from Alyona amazing accomplishments. It's just technical information.

To me, Alyona is ahead of Rika in terms of scoring potential right now (they will be tied if Rika's ankle is healed and the 3Lz is back), but she is also more at the mercy of the technical panel. A strict panel will call her lutz edge and possibly call some of her 3As UR.

I just hope that both Rika and Alyona end up on all the major podiums this year, because they are my two favourites. So Rika, get healthy! And, Alyona ...get that 3A clean!

In fact, only 2 (3A in the SP was obviously clean)
Which of them, Alena or Rika actually has the best 3A can only be compared in their back-to-back competition. See you soon.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
The best way to participate in this thread is to post your own ranking rather than complain about others.

My power ranking wouldn't be reduced only to this season results as if there was no before that actually tells us about the strength of the skaters :)

zounger

Medalist
My power ranking wouldn't be reduced only to this season results as if there was no before that actually tells us about the strength of the skaters :)

That's a reasonable assumption to have if you want to make a ranking. Some will evaluate it more, some less. But to complain in a thread that people are asked to give or express they ranking, why you put my favorite lower, is borderline pathetic.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
That's a reasonable assumption to have if you want to make a ranking. Some will evaluate it more, some less. But to complain in a thread that people are asked to give or express they ranking, why you put my favorite lower, is borderline pathetic.

It’s actually quite funny to watch xD

readernick

Medalist
In fact, only 2 (3A in the SP was obviously clean)
Which of them, Alena or Rika actually has the best 3A can only be compared in their back-to-back competition. See you soon.

Disagree about the SP 3A, but I do agree we will see more after NHK. Alyona should win if Rika doesn't have her 3Lz back....But if she does. . that will be a truly great competition. It will be a really interesting to see Alyona, Rika and Alina. I hope they all perform to their maximum potential!

zounger

Medalist
Disagree about the SP 3A, but I do agree we will see more after NHK. Alyona should win if Rika doesn't have her 3Lz back....But if she does. . that will be a truly great competition. It will be a really interesting to see Alyona, Rika and Alina. I hope they all perform to their maximum potential!

For me this is the more exciting ladies event. Regarding Rika just to remind people that her best score is 233.12 if I'm not mistaken. Alena already have scored higher than that. Even if you add Rika's best Sp+FS it will be 238.69. Which is not far away from 236. So yes it looks exciting. But they have to deliver.

lzxnl

Final Flight
For me this is the more exciting ladies event. Regarding Rika just to remind people that her best score is 233.12 if I'm not mistaken. Alena already have scored higher than that. Even if you add Rika's best Sp+FS it will be 238.69. Which is not far away from 236. So yes it looks exciting. But they have to deliver.

Her best FS was also scored at a competition where she got 66 PCS. She's not scoring that low again. Just keep that in mind. Both Rika and Alena can score over 240 with no mistakes. Pretty similar at the moment.

zounger

Medalist
Her best FS was also scored at a competition where she got 66 PCS. She's not scoring that low again. Just keep that in mind. Both Rika and Alena can score over 240 with no mistakes. Pretty similar at the moment.

Yes they can, agree.