2019-20 Ladies' power ranking | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Ladies' power ranking

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I would say this thread is more of a favorite skater ranking than an accurate ranking based on competition results and scores.
Ah yes, because everyone on Golden Skate's favorite skater is Trusova :laugh:.

In all seriousness though, I think most people in here are making a genuine effort to logically construct a ranking of scoring potential and consistency, even though personal bias might creep in here and there.

natsulian

Final Flight
1. Alexandra Trusova
2-4. Anna S. / Alena K. / Rika K.
5. Alina Z.
6. Evgenia
7. Bradie T.
8. Mariah B.
9-11.Satoko M. / Elizavet / Young You

readernick

Medalist
Ah yes, because everyone on Golden Skate's favorite skater is Trusova :laugh:.

In all seriousness though, I think most people in here are making a genuine effort to logically construct a ranking of scoring potential and consistency, even though personal bias might creep in here and there.

I think Trusova's BV and consistency with her 4T makes her #1 position difficult to deny. (even if someone wants to) Rankings between Alyona, Rika, and Anna are definitely more influenced by personal bias. As are the rankings of Med and Zagitova. But, it isn't possible to completely eliminate bias because we are human.... Most people are trying to be reasonably logical :)

lusterfan

Final Flight
http://twitter.com/beth_gifs/status/1197388159371423744

So, it looks like Rika's ankle has indeed healed, AND she's jumping 4S's at NHK practice. This might mix a few things up.

Looks a bit UR to me still, but she stayed on her feet! I did not have faith in her after her (minor?) injury in the beginning of the season, but she is pulling out everything for NHK. This will be so exciting to watch her and Alyona go head-to-head. I hope Alina goes clean as well and challenges them. Let's see if NHK shakes things up in the existing rankings... :dance2:

madmax

Rinkside
All I can say is that a competition with Kihira, Trusova, Kostornaia, Shcherbakova and Zagitova is totally unpredictable and this is great.
Apart from Trusova, each of them can win or be off the podium.
I can't wait for Valieva and Liu to join the group!

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
All I can say is that a competition with Kihira, Trusova, Kostornaia, Shcherbakova and Zagitova is totally unpredictable and this is great.
Apart from Trusova, each of them can win or be off the podium.
I can't wait for Valieva and Liu to join the group!

Do not forget about Dasha, Maya and Alena Kanysheva.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Tbh, I am really amused by current discussion so far - when people here are seriously arguing about power of top skaters based on their placements and scores :laugh: You know, their placements and scores have much less to do with their power - and much more with how judges and technical panels are inclined to assess them in a particular competition :sarcasm:
Question is - what do you imply with power ranking? Skaters real strength or skaters favoritism by judges? :rolleye: These are pretty much different notions - while both can be presented by their placements and scores. If you ignore these real life trends in judging and assume all judges are always impartial and uniform in all competitions - you are bound to be always surprised by sudden collapse of perceived power of a particular skater in some CS event with the same performance, for example ;)

No doubt Alyona is impressive. Her 3A is beautiful. and it is also consistent. However, based off competitions this year Rika's 3A is less likely to be UR. Both Rika and Alyona have landed all 3A attempts this year. Rika 8 out of 8 (One UR, One step-out) ) and Alyona has landed 5 out of 5 ( 2 called UR (but really 3 UR). So, based on this season Rika's 3A is more stable.

At least two of her 3As were UR. And those are just the ones that were called. That’s why I’m saying she’s struggling with it - the rotation is a problem. She’s landing them, sure, but so is Kihira and she doesn’t have a problem with UR. She could fix it, but URs are not something you can fix overnight.
She does. I am even willing to claim that majority of Kihira's 3As are always little URed. Just because TPs are always ignore this while being more strict with Kostornaia's 3As - doesn't neccessarily mean that Rika is stronger that Alena. It means that her 3As is treated more favorably by judges - and that's it. Is this approach is going to be kept in each and every competition they both will be participating? Idk. Still, there can be competition when their 3As will be assessed by TP equally.. who knows?

The same can be said about percieved Medvedeva strength, btw. If at least half of her usual URs were called by TPs in the same manner as they are usually called for other skaters - she would get much less scores in both events and she would be perceived as much less powerful skater here. And again, all it takes is one impartial and strict TP to reduce perceived Medvedeva's strength to ashes. Is there any value in such power ratings which are so dependent on judges work?
I think it would be more reliable approach - while taking judges favoritism and skaters reputation (i.e. PCS and GOEs overscoring) in consideration - assess honestly real quality of elements and programs being showed to us as well. Else you can be very unpleasantly surprised by sudden results one day too.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Here are the official rankings:
http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2019-20/sbtslto.htm

Looks like:
Trusova
Alena
Rika
Anna
Medvedeva
Zagitova
You
Bradie
Liza
Mariah

Senior ladies top 10

Thanks to all ladies for an exciting season. Congrats to those who will be in GPF. Maybe they’ll look into how skaters qualify for GPF and make some changes. I would love to see the top scoring ladies competing there.

Look how close the scoring is between Trusova and Alena. Even with all of Trusova’s quads. Alena is the new star.

- - - Updated - - -

ruga

Final Flight
My ranking after GPF qualifications (based on how judges are likely to score them):

TES
1. Trusova
2. Kostornaia
3. Shcherbakova
4. Kihira (can go higher with lutz and an ok 4S attempt)
5. Zagitova
6. Medvedeva
7. Tuktamysheva
8. You
9. Bell
10. Tennell
11. Sakamoto
12. Miyahara

PCS:
1. Zagitova
2. Medvedeva
3. Kostornaia
4. Kihira
5. Miyahara
6. Tennell
7. Bell
8. Shcherbakova
9. Sakamoto
10. Trusova
11. You
12. Tuktamysheva

I have no idea where to put Shcherbakova in PCS. She has been consistent but still seems to lurk around 67/33. Logically she should go over Bell and maybe Tennell who are currently around 69/34. Med/Zagi and Kosto/Kihira are almost equal now as well, but I gave edge to Zagitova because she has qualified to GPF and that'll affect her marks positively if she goes anywhere else. Kostornaia will get better marks as she delivers clean performances (and so will Kihira, but maybe not that rapidly).

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
GP series is over. The power list is final before the Nationals. If anything can change the placements is Rika's learning a quad and bringing back lutz.

#1 Alexandra Trusova (240 - 250)

#2 Alyona Kostornaya +0.5 (235 - 245)

#3 Rika Kihira -0.5 (230 - 240) Clean Rika won't win over Sasha and Alyona even if the latter make some mistakes. Bringing back lutz and introducing a quad sal will up the ante. But shall we see those this season?

#4 Anna Scherbakova (230 - 240)

#5 Alina Zagitova (220 - 230) Alina lost not less than 10 points in the short program and still scored 219. This means that Anna won't have an easy breeze competiting for the third team spot.

#6 Evgeniya Medvedeva (215 - 225) Zhenya can get the third place if she skates clean and Alina and Anna make mistakes. It's not over yet that's why all of them are in the power list.

#7 Young You (215-225)

#8-9 Bradie Tennell (210 - 220) Bradie was lucky that 2-4 is better than 3-3. Power wise I think that they are at par with Mariah as of today.

#8-9 Mariah Bell (210 - 220)

#10 -11 Satoko Miyahara (205 - 215)

#10-11 Kaori Sakamoto (205 - 215)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The whole post

My own ranking takes into account judging. The TPs trashed Liza this season while with 3 triple axels and no deterioration in anything else she is as strong now as she was never before. But they did it anyway and I crossed her out of my list while keeping Young You there together with Bradie and Mariah. The TP ignored Bradie's URs during SA and she is in the final. That's life.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
That’s why I posted the link to the actual ranking based in score. It’s factual with no personal biases. What a great season all the ladies had. I can’t wait to see how they all progress for Nationals and beyond.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
My own ranking takes into account judging. The TPs trashed Liza this season while with 3 triple axels and no deterioration in anything else she is as strong now as she was never before. But they did it anyway and I crossed her out of my list while keeping Young You there together with Bradie and Mariah. The TP ignored Bradie's URs during SA and she is in the final. That's life.

That's also your own opinion

Which of course you're entitled to.

I saw plenty of issues with Liza this season, namely her over-reliance on her jumps and even then she made errors on some of them, no doubt because her layout was constantly being played with

Question is - what do you imply with power ranking? Skaters real strength or skaters favoritism by judges?

Either way, it's just someone's opinion. The judges have their opinions, you have yours, I have mine. I wouldn't say that my opinion is more real than someone else's.

sweetener

Rinkside
My current ranking:
1) Trusova
2) Kostornaia
3) Kihira
4) Shcherbakova
5) Zagitova
6) Medvedeva
(where I would insert Valieva at the moment)
7-9) Tennell/You/Bell
10) Miyahara
11) Sakamoto

Now somebody go make a men's power ranking thread!

SkatingFan9

On the Ice
Now that Trusova is ready to unleash her triple axel at the GPF, I think it is safe to say that there is a wide gap between her and the next closest competitor.

265 is well within reach for her, perhaps even more. Nobody else comes close.

She is truly untouchable now. And I don't think she is done improving her tech. Don't be surprised if she adds another quad sometime in the not so distant future: the quad flip.

readernick

Medalist
Now that Trusova is ready to unleash her triple axel at the GPF, I think it is safe to say that there is a wide gap between her and the next closest competitor.

265 is well within reach for her, perhaps even more. Nobody else comes close.

She is truly untouchable now. And I don't think she is done improving her tech. Don't be surprised if she adds another quad sometime in the not so distant future: the quad flip.

Agreed, if she lands the 3A. But, we have seen that if often takes Trusova several months/ the course of a season to truly master a jump in competition. So, the other girls might still have a chance for a couple of months . 🤣🤣🤣