2019-20 Ladies' power ranking | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Ladies' power ranking

sx98423

On the Ice
she is not using her arms too much for rotation. see yuzuru for example who really uses his arms for his 3A. it's part of the reason why that jump is so huge for him.

i agree that sasha still needs to work the 3A, it's still not 100% but i'm sure it'll get there eventually

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Time to update power rating now.. :slink: If there are people who are still cares about it :bed:

The update is easy...and sad:

#1-3 Alexandra Trusova (235 - 250)

#1-3 Alyona Kostornaya (235 - 250)

#1-3 Anna Scherbakova (235 - 250)

#4 Rika Kihira (220 - 235)

#5 Evgeniya Medvedeva (220 - 230)

The key question now for Zhenya is the same as the last season: she or Liza?

#6 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (215 - 225) new

After getting 221 in Zagreb Liza is back in the game. Moreover, she showed a quad and a quad combo. If she adds at least one quad to her set of triple axels and she skates clean, her score with a normal TP will be above 230. Then she will be the first substitute. Without a quad I would put her below Medvedeva

#7 Young You (215-220)

#8-9 Bradie Tennell (210 - 220)

#8-9 Mariah Bell (210 - 220)

#10 -11 Satoko Miyahara (205 - 215)

#10-11 Kaori Sakamoto (205 - 215)

Alina Zagitova left the list for obvious reasons.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Certainly we do not have to pretend that Sasha and her multifall programs are invisible.

By all means - you have full right to place Sasha even in last postion in your own power list :confused2: We all have different opinions here - that's what it makes interesting ;)

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Me said:
Because of her more stable layout, consistency with the 4Lz, and her higher PCS, I think Scherbakova is more likely to beat Kostornaia than Trusova.

1. Anna Scherbakova (+1): She defended her national title, but that alone isn’t the reason for moving her to the top spot. She’s yet to lose a free skate and she is now capable of scoring an 80 SP in international competition. The point advantage those with a 3A will have won’t be much and it wont be enough to outscore her technical advantage in the free skate, unless of course, the skater also has a quad or both quads and a 3A. Her consistency with her layout means it’s mathematically impossible for someone like Kostornaia to beat her, even when clean.

2. Alena Kostornaia (-1): She didnt win RusNats, but she lost in the best possible way. By skating clean and skating beautifully. As said before, the only downside is that her total score is already capped and she has no room for error.

3. Alexandra Trusova (no change): She wisely chose not to go for the 3A in the SP and also just as wisely removed the 4S in the free skate, going for four quads instead of five. The results were disastrous, but I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt (she landed three just two weeks and every other time) and chalk this up to nerves. Hopefully the point has been driven home by now: base value is only an advantage if you can handle it. Solidify a 3A to ensure a spot in the final warmup group for Worlds and for more room for error.

4. Rika Kihira (no change): She won her nationals and won easily. Interestingly, she also did a 3A+3T. Still no lutzes. She plans to compete at 4CC and I hope not to see a 2A+2T+2Lo but another 4S attempt.

5. Bradie Tennell (no change): Until recently, I felt she was the #1 US lady, but I forgot about Alysa Liu. Liu lost to a quadless program at JGPF, but that’s unlikely to happen with an All-American technical panel. We’ll see. I still consider her a medal contender at 4CC. Frankly, she’s looking better than the Japanese ladies at the moment, outside of Kihira.

6. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (no change): Placed 4th at RusNats, but it was a weak 4th. She did, however, go for a 4T (UR, fall), but the rest of her layout was unimpressive. No 3-3 and too many doubles. A 4T won’t help her unless she works on the stamina needed to handle a difficult layout. Unless something unusual happens, her season is over, but I expect her to come back strong next season.

7. Mariah Bell (+1): On to USNats!

8. Young You (+2): She placed 4th in her country’s ranking competition, but she still qualified for 4CC because the Silver medalist is not age eligible. She had a disastrous SP, but a strong free. Her performance at 4CC and at Nationals will be key. That second Worlds spot could go to Yelim Kim.

9. Vacant

10. Vacant

I’m not adding any skaters to the last two spots. The obvious choices are Miyahara and Higuchi. Miyahara was off the podium at JNats and is lucky to go to Worlds. Higuchi won Silver, but I want to see how she does at 4CC before adding her.

Removed

Alina Zagitova: Removed due to her announcement that she’s taking a break from competition.

Evgenia Medvedeva: Removed due to withdrawing from RusNats after the SP and effectively ending her season.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
#1-3 Alexandra Trusova (235 - 250)

#1-3 Alyona Kostornaya (235 - 250)

#1-3 Anna Scherbakova (235 - 250)

I don't see anything changing. They are "mighty 3A" Alyona won, Anna won, Sasha may win the Europeans

#4 Rika Kihira (220 - 235)

#5 Young You (215-225) +2

I know there were objections but let's wait for her next outing. She has 3A and she may rotate it. Those who are below have a standard set of jumps (Liza excluding)

#6-7 Bradie Tennell (210 - 220) +2

#6-7 Mariah Bell (210 - 220) +2

#8 Wakaba Higuchi (205 - 215) new

Wakaba's success during the nationals propels her to the power list as she is a likely team member now.

#9 -11 Satoko Miyahara +0.5

#9-11 Tomoe Kawabata new

One of them is on the team - the other is a substitute...unless Kaori somehow manages to change her downward spiral

#9-11 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva new

The first substitute in the Russian team

Elucidus

Match Penalty
whole post
I still wouldn't place Anna over Alyona, tbh. She clearly had flat edge on her lutzes in RusNat and any more strict international TP will be eager to notice them. That, and considering clear favoritism to Alyona over Anna by ISU judges in terms of PCS (undeserved, IMO - PCS is not only SS after all) and only two points difference with Anna - it's clear who will be leader.
I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt (she landed three just two weeks and every other time) and chalk this up to nerves
You wouldn't have any doubts if you watched her morning practice streamed by 1st TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzbgrauBUeE
She did clean 4-quads FP run-through without issues. Also she said that she did 5-quads FP clean in training before too - and I don't have reasons to not believe her. It was the nerves and nerves only.
Liu lost to a quadless program at JGPF, but that’s unlikely to happen with an All-American technical panel.
I wouldn't be so sure about that, tbh. International judging is often becomes example for national judging as well. Also, realizing that Liu's success this season does not mean anything in relation to senior career and that encouraging and moral support to their senior leaders is important too - who knows, maybe USFS priorities will change. Especially considering that nor RusNat neither JapNat TPs weren't exactly lenient.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Ultimately, the power rankings are done with international judging panels in mind. We haven't yet seen a near-clean Anna with her quad lutzes and quad flip against Aliona internationally, so I think the status quo still holds with them in a tie. Sasha's probably still there too, but I'm interested in seeing what her Euros layout is and the number of quads she'll include there. I would expect that they are aiming to go back to 5 quads at Worlds for now.

Amei

Record Breaker
The only changes at the top is that I would put 1-2 between Kostornaia and Shcherbakova and 3rd spot is Trusova - what she is attempting is an impressive athletic feat however at this point she can't do in competition all the quads that she is attempting, I realize she's doing them in practice even at competition practices but those are not what determines podium. Until she can land all the quads in competition and/or improve her second mark then she is reliant on 2 skaters who have been consistent to this point messing up in order to beat them.

Russia

Rinkside
If everyone skates their best,
1. Anna and Sasha are the best, obviously.
3. Aliona
4. Kihira
5. Liza